Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 3, 2013   #1
Sharpcheddar
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I've never thought to mix pineapple and rhubarb but that sounds like an amazing combination!
Sharpcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpcheddar View Post
Wow, I've never thought to mix pineapple and rhubarb but that sounds like an amazing combination!
The combination is still sour but the effect is modified slightly. To overwhelm takes a lot of sugar to which I object.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

How about rhubarb/stevia or rhubarb/honey?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #4
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
How about rhubarb/stevia or rhubarb/honey?
The sweeteners are all the same, just degrees of harm. In most diets particularly Western, people get more than enough sugar and all its substitutes in their food. There is absolutely no valid reason for adding extra. My opinion.
Old June 6, 2013   #5
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I love your posts, Durgan. I love rhubarb pie but never thought of using the juice, the pineapple mix sounds like a great idea.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2013   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I hear ya, Durgan.

But then, I'm awaiting my yearly "fix" of sweet corn in August, after eleven months of withdrawal.

Trmat
Old June 6, 2013   #7
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

Rhubarb and ginger jam is my favorite use, in fact have just split one plant into four so there will e more to use in a couple of years, and I have no problem with the extra sugar as I don't eat it that often.
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) Identification

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?NREJG 1 July 2013 Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) Identification

Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis) is relatively common in my area, growing along side roads. The large, palm size flowers are easy to spot, and I mark them for future picking of the berries during the first week of September.The bushes with berries when ripe fade into the background vegetation and are difficult to see. The berries must be very dark almost black for consumption. Never eat any red berries. Be sure of your identification. The saw tooth leaves, and flat plane flowers, and almost palm size flowers are are easy to identify.I make juice from the berries usually around 60 litres if I can get enough berries.Two pounds of berries are required to make one litre of juice. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?TPVRN 26 August 2012 Elderberry Juice
Old July 8, 2013   #9
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Wow, this seems like so much work.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #10
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Is it possible for you to cut off some roots of these plants, and replant them near the originals? I've found elderberries just about the easiest thing to propagate by root cuttings.

Gary
Old July 18, 2013   #11
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Is it possible for you to cut off some roots of these plants, and replant them near the originals? I've found elderberries just about the easiest thing to propagate by root cuttings.
Gary
I know absolutely nothing about propagating elderberry. I pick abundant berries alongside the back roads, since nobody else seems to be interested in them in my area. They are picked the first week of September in my Zone 5.They are superb this year, since there has been sufficient moisture, I expect to can, preserve, around 40 or 50 litres of juice. About two pounds of berries to each litre.
Old July 15, 2013   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Purslane (Portulaca oleracea L)

Purslane (Portulaca oleracea L) is abundant in my garden this year, so 40 litres was harvested and 25 made into juice and about 15 was dehydrated. The plants were cut at ground level to eliminate the root and associated soil.The juice is simple to make, since it only had to be blended into a slurry, since the plant has almost no coarse cellulose. The dehydrated plant material will be utilized as a drink or soup base. Apparently this ubiquitous weed has many desirable nutrients.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IUQUU 14 July 2013 Purslane Juice Pictures depicting the juicing process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?VPOEH
14 July 2013 Purslane Dehydrated Pictures depicing the dehydrating process.
Old July 15, 2013   #13
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I've used the plant as a potherb, either boiling it or sautéing it lightly. It never occurred to me that one could make a juice from it.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #14
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i keep looking at it in the garden but have yet to try it. soon.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #15
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Woo hoo! It's a lovely, healthy herb, with lots of omega 3's- I had it some years ago, but lost the battle to little creatures...(aphids)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote