Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 16, 2006   #1
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Default Small Hole in Pepper

Two Questions:

1. I heard, I believe on this forum, that picking the first pepper off the plant will help others mature and enhance production of the plant. Is that correct? No big deal if it isn't b/c I've already done it. I only have one Jal and one banana pepper. The unripe banana pepper tasted really good. I didn't eat the unripe Jal -- see question two.

2. I picked the largest unripe Jal today and discovered a little hole near the stem end of the pepper. I cut the pepper open and discovered a tiny little white worm living happily among the hot seeds. Does anybody have an idea what the worm is and what I should do to save my other peppers? There is little to no signs of leaf damage on the plant, so I hadn't been worried about pests. I only have the two pepper and 6 tomato plants and have had luck plucking individual hornworms and other leaf eaters. No spraying or dusting yet. Maybe it's time?

Thanks so much.

Bret in Kansas
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjm
Two Questions:

1. I heard, I believe on this forum, that picking the first pepper off the plant will help others mature and enhance production of the plant. Is that correct?
My personal experience says that not leaving peppers on the plant overly long (especially the first flush) can help to keep plants at good production levels.

I think the post you're referring to is this one by barkeater:
Lack of productivity with peppers can often be caused by not picking them! ALWAYS pick the first peppers as soon as they reach full size and are green. That stimulates the plant to produce more fruit. If you leave the first peppers on until they turn red, you'll get very poor production, and they won't turn red any faster.[...]

Quote:
2. I picked the largest unripe Jal today and discovered a little hole near the stem end of the pepper. I cut the pepper open and discovered a tiny little white worm living happily among the hot seeds. Does anybody have an idea what the worm is and what I should do to save my other peppers?
For a specific ID -- see http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/selec...t.peppers.html

Get some Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) and spray once a week or so.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2006   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Occasionally I get a pepper maggot too. However, I see no reason to spray even the safest of pesticides unless it really becomes a problem.

Has anyone here ever had a major infestation? Or even a moderate infestation?

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2006   #4
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Yes, pepper maggots are a serious problem in NJ. They favor cherry peppers the most but also are serious pests of all sweet peppers. I had very little damage to jalapenos or long hots.

In the mid 90's the pepper maggots really started decimating Eggplants too, leaving dimples all over the eggplant where they layed their eggs. Mid to late August I would have to strip every eggplant off and discard them. Then the rest of the season there would be no problem.

Unfortunately, bt will have NO effect. Pepper maggots are fly larva (diptera).
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote