Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 24, 2018   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/pla...-to-importing/

I tried to look into some of your rules in the above link. Tomatoes are solanum lycopersicum in the rules. It says "assessment required."

If I were you, I would start contacting your relevant government officials. Try to get through to someone who has the authority to waive the requirements, or sign off on the required assessment. I'm sure they will say no, at least at first, but keep asking. Be a very polite pain in the butt is how I deal with government workers. I can usually get someone to help me, even if it is just to make me go away and stop bothering them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #17
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I did make enquiries here some time ago....It seemed to me that what they were insisting on was documentation from the suppliers end that being honest for a few seeds would cost them so much in time and effort it would not be worth it....I realise there are methods used in sending seeds but in my case ...many years ago I had some convictions bought under the Trade,Industry Act so if I was caught being involved in anything similar although 40 years later they might bury me?

Some seed suppliers on our version of Ebay are on the ball with the latest varieties although one long standing online seed company has suddenly closed shop and I wonder why unless it was because (as I found out) their seeds were not true to label and the season I grew them... my then greenhouse ended up full of diseases.....I never knew then that seeds could carry diseases and I think that could have been the problem...

I am patiently waiting for what has been NBFT ( not Black from Tula _ renamed Myra's Delight because it has a potato leaf ) to produce ripe fruit ....My plants (that are strangely not tall) have fruit on them so its a matter of waiting til they ripen...I have reason to believe the fruit may be better tasting than Tasty Tom ...
When I saw a seed advertised for Blue Fruit ...a blue/black Tomato with a potato leaf my curiosity made me buy seeds to see if their was any relationship between the two...so there is always something to look forward too.

One decision I did make this season was not to grow "Ramblers" EG Sweet 100,Sungold etc and I have no regrets ..They are too difficult to look after and too susceptable to powdery mildue.....I have a single Purple cherry plant but regret growing it although once it produces I might change my mind....I have several strange looking plants ??One in particular thats growing shoots everywhere ...and I do not know if i prune it or just let it grow ? and I went back through my seed packets and found Better Boy so I have three plants and they should thrive (which they are) in the weather we are having....
I often wonder what I would be doing if it had not been for Tomatoes ...The Last four years has been dominated by making greenhouses and growing plants....Its easier now with a decent greenhouse and there is nothing better than a Tomato Sandwich made from a real Tasty Tom...
Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #18
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi ..Hopefully i can ask another question without opening a new thread ...those who know me know that I grow my tomatoes in Washing Machine drums......Every 7 days I give each drum 4 litres of water either with Miracle Gro or Phostrogen mixed in depending what stage the plant is at ....Now while watering a few minutes ago I was reminded once again that the drums are serated around the outside so unless I drip the water into the soil (which I do not do ) a fair amount of the water leaks out round the outside of the drum onto the concrete floor of the greenhouse and is lost...This includes my fertiliser that is not only expensive...but how much is actually getting to where its required..to the roots of each plant

I am wondering if I have been doing this wrong and would not it be best to do it separately IE sprinkle 2 tablespoons of fertiliser on the soil and then apply water or apply water first and then sprinkle on the fertiliser which would I presume slowly mix with the water and naturally work its way down into the soil...I hope I have explained this properly...I would be extremely grateful for any comment...Many Thanks Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 24, 2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old January 26, 2018   #19
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Shafted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi..

I am patiently waiting for what has been NBFT ( not Black from Tula _ renamed Myra's Delight because it has a potato leaf ) to produce ripe fruit ....My plants (that are strangely not tall) have fruit on them so its a matter of waiting til they ripen...I have reason to believe the fruit may be better tasting than Tasty Tom ...
When I saw a seed advertised for Blue Fruit ...a blue/black Tomato with a potato leaf my curiosity made me buy seeds to see if their was any relationship between the two...so there is always something to look forward too.
Regards Ron
Hi...Well things do not get better for me ....I should have taken more notice of my instincts....My NBFT Plants or Myra's Delight are not what they are supposed to be and the seeds given to me (I am 99% sure ) are Black Krim ...I did not think my Plants had potato Leaves and it was the height that concerned me....Its now a case of talking to Myra and trying to work it out and either get a fruit or a cutting from the original potato leaf plant ...lets hope she is still growing it...

Cheers Ron
Old January 26, 2018   #20
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default I require expert help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If it's only ONE large fruit on a truss, and it looks like the other small ones as to color, etc, I would assume it was the result of a somatic mutation,those are permanent and heritable, as opposed to seed mutations, so let it ripen up at least 1/2 to 3/4 up towards the stem end, and then save those seeds and process them.

Carolyn
Carolyn >>I have a problem that I require an experts advice ...I am very suspicious of what is happening over here re these Tasty Toms.....

Now can I ask you ...if a tomato fruit has a certain characteristic does its TRUE off spring retain this..

You see all Tasty Toms fruit from previous seasons had a point like a Pixies Hat on them...That is how I identified them ..This point is very visible through their life cycle ...from the time the fruit first appear til they ripen...I will try and find a photo and post it to show what I mean....Now my friend and myself have purchased plants as Tasty Toms and the fruit do not have the distinctive point but are smoothly round..these do not have the taste we both associate with Tasty Toms...

Now I have plants with fruit with the point and also smooth with no point and clearly the fruit with the point are true Tasty Toms and have the acidic taste...You may have seen Campari ...The Campari I have grown over here have the same point on them as Tasty toms have...

Can I rely on this characteristic of the fruit in telling me...Yes this plant is a genuine Tasty Tom...Hopefully the answer is Yes....

I will put a photo up in an edit soon...Its just the same as a previous photo but with a caption on it..

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pixie Hat_2018-01-27_112825.jpg (49.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; January 26, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old January 27, 2018   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ron, I did some Googling and found that Tasty Tom is not an F1 hybrid at all,as I read the link below,it's the same as Campari, and yes, reports from New Zealand as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tast...&bih=815&dpr=1

So at this point I don't see how I can be of more help unless you do..

Carolyn
Old January 27, 2018   #22
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ron, I did some Googling and found that Tasty Tom is not an F1 hybrid at all,as I read the link below,it's the same as Campari, and yes, reports from New Zealand as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tast...&bih=815&dpr=1

So at this point I don't see how I can be of more help unless you do..

Carolyn
Carolyn...Thanks for your reply but I am getting lost here....As I Understand Tasty Tom is a variety developed in the Netherlands (mainly intended for the German or Europe market) and was patented world wide.....How it got to New Zealand or who actually controls the market here is beyond me ...There are certainly no seeds available to a home grower like myself ....unless I use seeds I have processed myself from plants I have bought..

Now my main reason for posting remains unanswered IE .if a tomato fruit has a certain characteristic does its TRUE off spring retain this.. and I would be extremely grateful for any info on this....

Why thats important knowing is that I can then Identify at an early stage if what I am growing is hopefully a Tasty Tom ..Of course I cannot be 100% sure til the fruit ripen and I can do a Taste Test....

What I have found so far is that only plants that produce a fruit with a small peak on the bottom have what I regard as a Tasty Tom Taste ...I grew a Campari last year and both myself and a friend in a taste test could tell a difference between Tasty Tom and Campari...

Just to devastate me further is that the lady has given me seeds for what is 99% a Black Krim and seems unsure of what has happened to the beautiful tomato that she grew as a Black from Tula ...but because it had a Potato leaf was not a Black from Tula.. That is a disaster for me....

Regards Ron
Old January 27, 2018   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Campari, as well as being one specific variety, is also used as a general term for tomatoes sold as 'on the vine.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campari_tomato
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2018   #24
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi Campari plants and seeds are available here ....Whether the same as in the USA I would not know but "our" Campari and Tasty Tom are identical in shape...They both have the small peak extrusion on the bottom ...But I thought and so did my friend that there was a difference in taste and thats why I went for Tasty Tom and now its turning out a disaster ...Next season I will grow a few Campari but my plans are to cut all the growers etc out of the loop simply because one no longer trusts them and concentrate on using 100% Tasty Tom cuttings to get me through between seasons....Plus I have a Tomato already on the plant chosen to be de-seeded.....It has the "peak" and I will test the taste ....before processing the seeds...So they will be a priority also later on in August...I know the seeds will grow but will they still have the characteristics of the plant that they came from..... Regards Ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 27, 2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old January 28, 2018   #25
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Well, if they are not hybrids, one can save and plant Tasty Tom seeds. Bag blossoms so they don't get cross-pollinated by other tomato varieties. This is the only way you can ensure the seeds will grow true. Even if the tomato tastes like a Tasty Tom, if it isn't from a bagged blossom, you could end up with cross-pollinated seed.

It seems to be very upsetting to you when the plants aren't as you expect (me too). For your own peace of mind, bag your blossoms with organza bags, and save seeds from those tomatoes.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #26
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Well, if they are not hybrids, one can save and plant Tasty Tom seeds. Bag blossoms so they don't get cross-pollinated by other tomato varieties. This is the only way you can ensure the seeds will grow true. Even if the tomato tastes like a Tasty Tom, if it isn't from a bagged blossom, you could end up with cross-pollinated seed.

It seems to be very upsetting to you when the plants aren't as you expect (me too). For your own peace of mind, bag your blossoms with organza bags, and save seeds from those tomatoes.

Nan
Hi...Thanks for the information but bag blossoms and organza bags.... Is their a web site for one to get an understanding of what to do here....These of course could be common in the uSA but here in the bottom of the world they are unknown...I will do some research on the internet...

So far I have been totally reliant of Garden centres and seed sellers.....IMO they are not that reliable ...And thats why I need to cut them out of the loop but its too late for this season...All I can do is plan ahead by saving seed and cultivating cuttings for next season...
REgards Ron
Old January 29, 2018   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi...Thanks for the information but bag blossoms and organza bags.... Is their a web site for one to get an understanding of what to do here....These of course could be common in the uSA but here in the bottom of the world they are unknown...I will do some research on the internet...

So far I have been totally reliant of Garden centres and seed sellers.....IMO they are not that reliable ...And thats why I need to cut them out of the loop but its too late for this season...All I can do is plan ahead by saving seed and cultivating cuttings for next season...
REgards Ron
Here is a tutorial on bagging blossoms, as you requested, from the original Garden Website, now Houzz

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussion...ss-pollinating

I will say that if there are prolonged high heat times, the buds and blossoms will turn black and rotten inside the tulle.

All well enough, but I have a hard time seeing how even bagging blossoms of a Tasty Tom plant would help you at all.

Only by taking cuttings, as you mentioned above, preferably,from the suckers that appear on all tomato plants in the V between two branches would it work.Otherwise saving seeds of a hybrid by bagging blossoms cannot work since you'd be only getting F2 seeds,not the original F1 hybrid seeds.

Carolyn
Old January 29, 2018   #28
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, in post #21 you said Tasty Tom is not a hybrid?

Nan
Old January 29, 2018   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Carolyn, in post #21 you said Tasty Tom is not a hybrid?

Nan
Nan, go back up and read through the whole thread with Ron saying it is a hybrid, and then me saying it's the same as Campari and giving the link citing those in NZ who also say that, and then someone posts yes, Campari is a generic name as well.

Good luck.

Carolyn
Old January 29, 2018   #30
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

True.