Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old August 23, 2012   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default Bought a Yard of Compost...

There was a half off deal for a yard of compost that I purchased and it expires in December. I plan on picking it up in November after I return from a long holiday in Europe.

I have learned from experience that you really don't want to throw a nice heavy layer of compost on a plot of soil and then leave it be until planting season. This year I had completely weeded my community garden plots, got a load of free alpaca poop and covered my garden with it. Well, the rains came and I didn't get up to my garden for a couple of weeks and when I returned the weeds and thistles were chest high and I had to start over again!

If I spread the load of compost over my community garden plot and then cover with a big tarp, with the soil be okay for planting in the spring after the compost has been under a tarp for several months? I want to cover it to prevent the weeds from engulfing my plot but I don't know what that will do to the microorganisms under the tarp.

If it is not a good idea to do this, I will just let the coupon expire and use the paid value towards compost in the spring.

THoughts?
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I completely cover my garden with black plastic, after clearing out any weeds, if it needs tilling I also do that. In the spring there is little to no compaction, I drill down and plant straight in.
The good points, I notice very little weed and few in ground bugs. Go for it.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #3
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. We an't use plastic in our garden but we can cover with tarps.

I guess what I am really wondering is if covering with a tarp for the winter will lessen the efficacy of the compost and also if it will kill beneficials like earth worms, etc.?
Old August 23, 2012   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

If you want to kill off weed seed, then invest in black plastic, it doesn't stop earth worms or bacteria as my garden grows really well.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2012   #5
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

But as I mentioned, my community garden does not allow plastic, black or otherwise.
Old August 24, 2012   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It seems to me if you cover it with a tarp the garden will be fine, you will block out the sunlight and the worms and micorganisms can play all the while they wait till the spring. I wouldn't worry about it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2012   #7
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Great. Thanks!
Old August 30, 2012   #8
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I just heard from someone in my community garden and she said NOT to use a tarp or plastic because it kills beneficials. I am going to collect leaves and cover the garden with those instead. Our rain should hold them down in the fall and give the garden nutrients while keeping down weeds.
Old August 30, 2012   #9
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

what about straw? I've been told that works really well too.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #10
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Here are two articles on solarization that come from two different Master Gardener's, one from the East Coast and one from Texas. We have done solarization in our community garden this summer. My plot is currently under clear 4 mil plastic and we are planting on September 8th. We followed the county extension office suggestion as well as the suggestion of our Master Gardener's of our community garden.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Soil Solarization.pdf (111.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf Solarizing garden beds.pdf (40.5 KB, 23 views)

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #11
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Someone else at the community garden here has piled a foot of mulch on her garden beds when she wasn't going to be planting anything in the winter. By spring, it was ready to plant. The mulch we get is from tree trimmers, so it's wood chips mixed with lots of leaves and chipped branches.

I've always gardened year-round, and haven't been away from my plot for more than 4 days since I started. One year someone delivered a big pile of horse manure (partly broken down, with some dry lumps) and I piled that a foot high on one garden bed, then planted fava beans. I didn't get weeds iirc (but if there were, I picked them when they were small), and in the spring it had shrunk by half.

Straw is ok, but you do have to check it for weed seeds when you get it, and pull a few weedy grasses that inevitably grow. A few weeks ago, I got some straw for another garden. The person who recommended it said it was "clean." But I noticed a clump of thistle seeds right on top after it got delivered, so I got rid of those. And I've noticed some grasses growing where I've used it as mulch (only 3-4 inches). If I were going to leave it all winter, I'd pile it on -- a foot deep at least. And I'd check regularly for weeds! A couple years ago I got some post-halloween straw bales that I used to mulch raspberries, and it too grew weedy grasses.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #12
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Interesting articles, Rockporter, but again, I can not use plastic in my community garden and neither of those articles addresses the issue of how it affects beneficials. My guess is that they will not thrive under plastic.

I am going to mulch with leaves. My community garden is about 1 1/2 miles from my house and we get a lot of rain in the fall, winter and spring so I don't plan on getting up there every few days to weed. The leaves will prevent weeds and also add nutrients to the soil along with the compost I will put on.

Thanks!
Old September 30, 2012   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

If it was me I would spread the compost and then put the leaves on top of that. Don't worry about the worms. They will love it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote