Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 12, 2018   #31
skelly
Tomatovillian™

I am new here and apparently need to post my first message in order to gain full access to the site. I am a retired person living in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canada.

I've been searching everywhere looking for tomato seeds of a Hybrid named "Ramapo" that can be purchased in Canada - Does anyone know of such a vendor in Canada? Shipping & handling costs from the few vendors found in the USA are very costly! Thanks.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
I am new here and apparently need to post my first message in order to gain full access to the site. I am a retired person living in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canada.

I've been searching everywhere looking for tomato seeds of a Hybrid named "Ramapo" that can be purchased in Canada - Does anyone know of such a vendor in Canada? Shipping & handling costs from the few vendors found in the USA are very costly! Thanks.
I checked out Heritage Harvest in Canada, and no hybrid seeds offered.

Tania is in Canada, but the same for her with a few exceptions.

If no one here has a better suggestion,here's what I suggest you might do.

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.U1sj5FwdFVk

Above, go down to where you see the link to the NJ offer for Ramapo F1 seeds and click on that to see if they will mail seeds to someone in Canada.

Speaking as one who dehybridized Ramapo F1 to an OP, it was found that the F1 and OP were about the same in all regards,no doubt since only 2 parents used the cross.

Go back to the Google search, and this time go to where it says Tomatoville and read about Ramapo there.

Good Luck

Carolyn
Old February 12, 2018   #33
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

If it is Hybrid you seek .......let me think.......ummmm

One more vote for Big Beef !
Old February 12, 2018   #34
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

i grew it once and it was a good tomato, but not as good as a few others I've grown. Since you want to grow it in British Columbia, do you believe it has some characteristics which make it more favorable in your climate? If not, then consider Better Boy hybrid or Big Beef hybrid for you garden. The only other option would be to receive some seeds that are not needed from a grower in the USA or purchase some from one of the USA seed sellers.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #35
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I like Big Beef as much as anyone. Before Big Beef was released, I think the best hybrid was Jet Star. I've grown them side by side and cannot tell the flavor apart. Big Beef makes a bigger, taller plant, which most people see as an advantage, but not everyone. If you find it easier to support shorter, bushier plants than big tall ones, then Jet Star would be a better choice.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #36
skelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the various comments & suggestions regarding Ramapo. I had read interesting things about the hybrid regarding taste & productivity but since both Better Boy & Big Beef are readily available locally I'll just take Ramapo off my wish list. Many thanks.
Old February 13, 2018   #37
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for the various comments & suggestions regarding Ramapo. I had read interesting things about the hybrid regarding taste & productivity but since both Better Boy & Big Beef are readily available locally I'll just take Ramapo off my wish list. Many thanks.
ah ...Kelowna ...

I would add another Heat tolerant hybrid to consider ....Super Fantastic.
Old February 13, 2018   #38
skelly
Tomatovillian™

Have been growing Super Fantastic for past 3 years and it is my favorite hybrid for production, taste & ease of growth. Park's Whopper is another favorite that I grow annually. Top (overal) choice among OP varieties is Mortgage Lifter - perhaps partly because of the story behind the development of this variety!! Tastewise, among OPs, would be Paul Robeson & Cherokee Purple which I grew for first time in 2017.
Old February 13, 2018   #39
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Have been growing Super Fantastic for past 3 years and it is my favorite hybrid for production, taste & ease of growth. Park's Whopper is another favorite that I grow annually. Top (overal) choice among OP varieties is Mortgage Lifter - perhaps partly because of the story behind the development of this variety!! Tastewise, among OPs, would be Paul Robeson & Cherokee Purple which I grew for first time in 2017.
Well I guess if you have to "suffer" with all those extra sunshine hours and heat degree growing days ...all those varieties should be doing well in Kelowna ....LOL
Old February 13, 2018   #40
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Default Hybrids

For years, my family swore by Big Boy and Better boy. I gotta chip in for the Big Beef. I grow three main hybrids every year: Big Beef, Early Girl, and Park's Whopper...but always rotate in 3 heirlooms. My preferred hybrids always out produce the heirlooms. They just handle the heat and humidity much better...very good flavor, also.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote