Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2018   #1
JoParrott

Default I have to leave Tomatoville

I think this will be my final post-my heart is breaking and tears are flooding my lap as I type-for months I have tried to tough it out and keep trying, but I have to surrender to the terrible fact that macular degeneration has won- I am rapidly losing my vision and can no longer do the things that have been my life- sewing, gardening, driving- even using a computer--- it is becoming so difficult in spite of all the vision aids- brighter lights, magnifiers, etc-it is a losing battle. For 3 months I have been getting injections in my eyes to try to slow the progression, but there will never be any improvement. All my 83 years I have been a hard willed Yankee who believed I could do anything I wanted- and until now I have done just that. I lost my husband of 49 years ago last April, and after grieving his loss for a year, I was ready to rebirth myself and spend the rest of my life doing what he wanted me to do- drive this beautiful country and revisit the Canyonlands we both loved, create machine embroidery with my beloved machine, and most of all, continue my love of gardening that I began nearly 50 years ago. But life had other plans, and one month ago after driving to a doctor appointment I knew it was not safe for me to drive any more, and I sold my car. I have evolved from a totally independent control freak to a broken 83 year old woman who spends most of my days crying my eyes out and asking why I should go on this way.There is no cure for macular degeneration- just a slight hope of slowing its progress- but my status has declined so fast in 3 months that I really don't hold out any hope of a slowdown. I will continue reading the posts because I feel a special connection with gardeners--especially my best buddy, Worth1--I think we are 2 related rebels ! I will close now- Love to all of you--Jo in Richland WA

Old June 18, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm at a total loss for words I dont know what to say or think.
My heart goes out to you and if there is any way I can help please let me know.
You have been my friend through thick and then here for a long time.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Computers for the blind or visually impaired

So sorry to hear this, Jo. Don't give up on your computer, please check or get someone to help you with the products available so you can use the internet in spite of visual impairment:

http://www.visionaware.org/info/usin...t-computing/45
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear of your situation, Jo. You need more contact, not isolation.

There are ways to change fonts like Worth did, invert the contrast, to have your computer to read out posts, and use its microphone to dictate text. No one cares about an occasional spelling issue or funny word choice. I am sure you can get someone to help you set this up if you aren't comfortable with technology. Macs have all sorts of adaptive technology; I don't know about Windows but there are all sorts of things available once you start to investigate.

Don't leave - you are a valued member here and have a lot to offer, even if you aren't growing actively . . . and don't give up on that either. A pot or two of plants can offer something to keep track of and watch for progress.

Good luck and we hope to see you continue posting.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #5
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Jo, please don't give up. We're all here for you.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ahh Jo. I am so sorry for your loss! I wilsh I had great words of comfort and healing for you but I don't. I live next door to my inlaws and she also has Mac De...She listens to a lot of books on tape from the library for the blind.they are simple to operate and they mail everything to you and you mail it back... no postage for you. https://www.nlstalkingbooks.org/talkingbooksform/ keeping you in my prayers.
Old June 18, 2018   #7
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

My great grandfather had macular degeneration for a number of years and was able to continue a full and happy life. It did mean doing things a little differently, and asking for help when he needed it (not something that came naturally to him). I think his success was in his stubbornness and his desire to continue doing things.

It only took a minute to find several sites dedicated to vision impaired gardening, so there are many people working to overcome similar challenges and sharing what they know online!

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/g...ed-people.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Jo, I am so sorry you have this, but maybe the meds will help some and you will discover new ways to get things done that you want to do. I will sure keep you in my thoughts and hope for a better times for you.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #9
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am very sorry to hear this. My Dad suffered with this as well but I was able to get him a monitor with very large fonts and it really helped him to continue to read.

I got it through the local Office of Aging
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #10
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

I'm sorry to hear this too. I hope you get some help from the suggestions made already.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

We all know that times comes,when you reach your distance,and you still want to tool on.See you up top,keep on keepin on,did the best you did.
Old June 18, 2018   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have to check the weather here often since we are on a heat alert as well as a severe T storm alert.

I was in the middle of a post for you JO, had to get out,now trying again.

Have you seen an opthomologist , not an optician, and I ask b/c I have a long time friend,not someone here at Tville,he was Dx with macular degeneration, where you can barely see in the center of the eye but have no peripheral vision.

He had surgery, same MD I had many years ago as well as my mother, both of us for regular exams re diabetes,Dr.Orkin, the surgery was a success, and yes Wayne wears glasses, but always has since I knew him in K thru 6 elementary school.

Just another suggestion that I hope you might consider.

Carolyn
Old June 18, 2018   #13
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Jo, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Please see what help is out there to make computers & gardening (& everything else) accessible to the sight-impaired. You'll be in my prayers.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Jo, please consider this option. It would make me very happy to call you for a few minutes every few evenings and read posts to you and type responses on new topics . I'd also love to have a friend to discuss gardening with in addition to posts.

If you have a land line, I have unlimited cell phone minutes. Could be too much of a good thing though! Please consider this!!!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #15
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jo, I am sorry to read this about your health. I wish there was something I could do to help you.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote