Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 11, 2016   #16
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Did you hafta get permit?
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Worth, it looks a little bit tall...did you check regs for mounting height? I guess you can put a flashing red light on it, so no planes hit it
I walked up and down the street measuring mail boxes with a tape measuer.
One is like way tall and others are shorter.
I did mine so I can get into it without standing on my head out of my truck and the mail jeep thing can get into it.
The USPS recommendation is 41 to 45 inches mine is 42 at the bottom.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Did you hafta get permit?

Lord no not where I live you dont even need a driveway permit or inspection, this is small town Texas.
You do need permits for other things like sprinkle systems and buildings.
Ted knows my work and trusts me and just signs off on stuff heck I even have his personal cell number.
It takes all of 10 minutes or less.

Worth
Old December 11, 2016   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I always thought it was funny that mailboxes are considered Federal government property. You have to buy it, install it, and maintain it, but it still technically belongs to them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I always thought it was funny that mailboxes are considered Federal government property. You have to buy it, install it, and maintain it, but it still technically belongs to them.
Along the rural roads and highways here in Texas I think you can drop the box of and they will put it up for you.
They use a post that wont kill people if the run over it.
at least you use to be able to but not any more I dont know.
They did for me one time years ago.
Worth
Old December 11, 2016   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Looks great and solid. We did ours a couple years ago and because of frost i grabbed some re-bar from the garage and hammered in a few stakes deep and across while the concrete was still wet.
Very rocky here so hole digging was a struggle.
(We had some fence posts heave and what a mess trying to correct those.)
No way was i going to let this project heave and twist out of ground. Our box is first of the road, dead end...where the mailman sits a minute and scans our box. Some sort of timing. Nice fella. He said our box was his favorite in all the neighborhood.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

In Atlanta, the idiot that owned the lot next to me initially poured a slab, then found out that the lot didn't perk. After ten years the law changed and he started digging test holes, hiring a moron with a backhoe (i.e. a "developer") that set his truck and trailer on the parking brake at the top of the hill. When he loaded the 'hoe back on the trailer he hit the brake and the truck slipped its brake, rolled down the hill through my yard with the guy still atop the backhoe for a while, and eventually jackknifed in the low section in the next lot down. The only casualty was my mailbox and the vicious Cherokee Rose (State Flower of Georgia) that surrounded it and that the mail girl kept begging me to cut back.

The rose came back to be more vicious than ever, but I moved the mailbox to the other side of the driveway.

I used thick-wall iron pipe driven into a shale outcrop and set into concrete. No one was stupid enough to go after the pipe, but someone did sideswipe the box. After that I drove sections of sharpened rebar below the box. You take my box I get your tires.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #23
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Default Payback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
In Atlanta, the idiot that owned the lot next to me initially poured a slab, then found out that the lot didn't perk. After ten years the law changed and he started digging test holes, hiring a moron with a backhoe (i.e. a "developer") that set his truck and trailer on the parking brake at the top of the hill. When he loaded the 'hoe back on the trailer he hit the brake and the truck slipped its brake, rolled down the hill through my yard with the guy still atop the backhoe for a while, and eventually jackknifed in the low section in the next lot down. The only casualty was my mailbox and the vicious Cherokee Rose (State Flower of Georgia) that surrounded it and that the mail girl kept begging me to cut back.

The rose came back to be more vicious than ever, but I moved the mailbox to the other side of the driveway.

I used thick-wall iron pipe driven into a shale outcrop and set into concrete. No one was stupid enough to go after the pipe, but someone did sideswipe the box. After that I drove sections of sharpened rebar below the box. You take my box I get your tires.
Dang, are you any relation to the truck driver I hitched ride with that said when people refused to dim their lights he'd hit em with high intensity spot light he had perfectly positioned to blast their eyeballs? . He said he'd look in rear view and sometimes they'd be fishtailing down hiway!
Old December 11, 2016   #24
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Looks good, Worth. And yes, I see the smiley face in the reflector too!

Our mailbox was taken out three times by the snow plow over the years. The first two times it was just the box, so we called the town's highway department and reported it, and they dropped off a new mailbox.

The third time they clipped the post as well and broke it, but while they supplied a new box, we had to replace the post. We bought a new post and my husband installed it at the corner of our lot right in front of the utility pole that sits on the property line. Now if they hit our mailbox they also have to hit the utility pole. Hasn't been hit since!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #25
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Intentional or unintentional reckless driving is the greatest threat to mailboxes around my area. I hope your future stone work includes formidable post protecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
If someone hits it, the wood will probably snap.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The deputy sheriff's son was doing the vandalism and he is gone now.
I live on a dead end street very little traffic no hoodlums.
Worth
Old December 13, 2016   #27
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I have to replace my mailbox. Last Thursday my wife came home from work and was stopped waiting to turn into our driveway and a couple of kids in a f250 rear ended her, pushed her into a car coming the other direction and sent them through my mailbox and trash cart and into my privet hedge. My wife was shaken up but unhurt. The mailbox ended up about 100 ft. from where it was and the mail was scattered on top of the hedge. I was in the house when it happened, thump thump I hate that sound, saw the car in the hedge, ran to it, was checking on the people in the car when I saw our car smashed and sitting on the shoulder of the road. I about had a heart attack. The kids had insurance and I guess everything will be okay but I sure wasn't planning on having to look for a new car let alone replace the mailbox. It makes me shiver thinking how bad this could have been since the speed limit is 45.

Maecus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #28
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
I have to replace my mailbox. Last Thursday my wife came home from work and was stopped waiting to turn into our driveway and a couple of kids in a f250 rear ended her, pushed her into a car coming the other direction and sent them through my mailbox and trash cart and into my privet hedge. My wife was shaken up but unhurt. The mailbox ended up about 100 ft. from where it was and the mail was scattered on top of the hedge. I was in the house when it happened, thump thump I hate that sound, saw the car in the hedge, ran to it, was checking on the people in the car when I saw our car smashed and sitting on the shoulder of the road. I about had a heart attack. The kids had insurance and I guess everything will be okay but I sure wasn't planning on having to look for a new car let alone replace the mailbox. It makes me shiver thinking how bad this could have been since the speed limit is 45.

Maecus
Marcus, my first thoughts are of your wife and if she's okay, sorry that she had to experience that. A lady ran into my son like that a couple months back and he still complains a little bout back pain although I think he's better now. He has extremely high pain tolerance and just is " I'm okay" guy if you know what I mean. . Pretty sure I would of had a heart attack. Bright side is cars and mailboxes can be replaced . Happy holidays to you and family! . Jimbo
Old December 13, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Marcus1, I am glad she is okay.

- unrelated, but mailbox like -

My wife was telling me that there was a precinct vehicle about a half mile from our house yesterday. They were fixing road signs that some idiots had twisted around backwards and one was pushed over. Every year around this time, they start messing with signs and mailboxes. It used to happen to our mailboxes, but over the past ten years, it has gone from one house near the road to four houses. People used to dump unwanted cats and dogs here, but not since the new houses are there now.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #30
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Glad everyone was ok, Marcus.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote