Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2014   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I too would be interested in a trade but for a 2014 fall garden
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #17
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Me too, What a nice looking tomato with the perfect name.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you folks are interested in it, it is a nice tomato. Unfortunately right now I do not have enough seed on hand to share as I am growing it out right now to get a fresh supply. (the plant I am growing is from 12 year old seed from that original tomato.)
I will be sure to save a bunch this year and I will offer it out in the fall to those here on TV who would like to try it.
I like the name Zena's gift and so it shall remain.
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #19
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Wow! 12 year old seed still crankin! Zena's Gift looks special in all respects.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #20
walt456
Tomatovillian™

It reminds me of Ernesto not an exact match though.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Cold and dry here in AB stored in a metal watchmakers case from Lee Valley. you know those little metal clear lidded containers designed for tiny watch parts nested in a metal case. pretty much bullet proof way to store seeds. I have way to many for that case now but my oldest seeds are in there and those I've tried still seem to germinate.

I have newer seed but I wanted to regrow the original if I could get it to germinate and it did.
KO
Old May 29, 2014   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Cold and dry here in AB stored in a metal watchmakers case from Lee Valley. you know those little metal clear lidded containers designed for tiny watch parts nested in a metal case. pretty much bullet proof way to store seeds. I have way to many for that case now but my oldest seeds are in there and those I've tried still seem to germinate.

I have newer seed but I wanted to regrow the original if I could get it to germinate and it did.
KO
Karen you posted just before I was going to post and here's what I was going to say .

It bothers me a lot when some folks ask for seeds in a thread, and here's why.

First, only those posting in a thread know about a new variety which is not fair to all the other TVille members who might want seeds as well;

Second, you shouldn't expect Karen to copy down user names and then PM each of you telling you seeds are ready.

I quit listing the varieties to be grown out for my annual seed offer just b'c of this issue and I know a few others do the same.

If and when a person, such as Karen, have seeds to share, they start a thread in one of the seed exchange Forums and make that offer to ALL.

Above you saw I referred to Tam and her new variety she gave me a few seeds of, not hers, but seeds that were sent to her, She asked me if she should start a thread about the new variety and I advised her not to do so b'c I knew what would happen and she didn't have any seeds to share anyway.

When and if Karen has seeds to share I'm sure she will offer them in the seed exchange to all.

Karen, would you agree with me?

Carolyn, who BTW would appreciate a few seeds for seed production for her annual seed offer.
Old May 29, 2014   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm glad you folks are interested in it, it is a nice tomato. Unfortunately right now I do not have enough seed on hand to share as I am growing it out right now to get a fresh supply. (the plant I am growing is from 12 year old seed from that original tomato.)
I will be sure to save a bunch this year and I will offer it out in the fall to those here on TV who would like to try it.
I like the name Zena's gift and so it shall remain.
K
Sorry I didn't see this post first, but I consider my post as backing you up on availability.

12 yo seed isn't that old, I say that b'c I've never thrown out one saved seed since 1990 and the oldest seed I've ever been able to wake up was 22 yo seed of September Dawn.

But one does have to use some special methods to wake up very old seeds and it doesn't always work.

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2014   #24
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

lol Carolyn I thought you'd never ask. When I have seed I will definitely let you know. I better grow this one in the best spot in the garden this year so I can get some good seed. Generally I never bag blooms but to be certain I will for this one
K.
Old May 29, 2014   #25
walt456
Tomatovillian™

It also looks like a Malinowy Olbrzym.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016   #26
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Is anyone here a SSE member who can tell me who listed Zena's Gift in the SSE as a new and rare variety?
Naturally with no attribution to the source (ME) or the story.
Fascinating day here. Pm me please.

KarenO
Old December 19, 2016   #27
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this will be very interesting indeed....
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2016   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is anyone here a SSE member who can tell me who listed Zena's Gift in the SSE as a new and rare variety?
Naturally with no attribution to the source (ME) or the story.
Fascinating day here. Pm me please.

KarenO
Yes I can.

this is from I think 2-3 Years ago

(Here are some photo’s of my “Zena’s gift” tomato. It is quite stable and all of the fruits have either this round beefsteak appearance or more oblate sometimes and range from about 8-16 oz. thin skin, always lightly ribbed shoulders, never any green on the shoulders. first ripe fruit typically in mid July which makes it fairly early for a big tomato at about 70-75 days.Sometimes early blooms are compound so it is also capable of making large misshapen fruit.
A vigorous and large RL indeterminate plant.

I’m glad you are interested in it as I would really like to see some others grow it. It’s a great tomato.

Above is the info you gave to me, I still have it.

Neil got it from me as one of my seed producers,he lost all his plants 2-3 years ago including I think maybe 3 years ago,regrew it recently I think, but which Yearbook are you referring to since that makes a huge difference, and yes,he did know it came from you since I usually ID where seeds came from. If I had the time to look back in my data book I might find that.

You also PMed me about this.

If Neil forgot the source,I'm sorry.

I didn't know you were an SSE member,so that's good as well, I think,and I say that since I stopped being a listed member last year but being a longtime,lifetime member I still get all of the publications.

This year there was a huge rush for the listed members and no one was even answering at SSE for days at a time.

Now I'm also remembering that you sent me the seeds inside a card,I think I misplaced them and asked you to send them again,and you did.

I have no control whatsoever as to what someone might write as to background in the Yearbook.I only know that when I was still a listed member I wrote everything I knew about a variety.There have been times when a seed producer asks me if I have more history,sometimes I do,sometimes I don't.

Carolyn,who hopes that helps, and not a mystery to me at all.So I won't answer your PM since it's all here.
Old December 19, 2016   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Yes, this will be very interesting indeed....
Darin, there are usually answers to be had as I'm sure you already know.

Carolyn
Old December 19, 2016   #30
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice story about the tomato Karen, I'm glad you brought this thread back up or I would've never knew it existed.

I tried to find seeds but SSE has no results when I did a search for it. Do I have to be a member to search or buy seeds?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote