Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2013   #31
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Thanks very much for your reply-that'll help a lot with choosing which
quantity would be most suitable. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2013   #32
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Since the N Tx stores are far away, I just ordered from you on line and look forward to trying your product! I grow tomatoes in both self watering containers (earthtainers....thanks Raybo) and in ground. It seems like the tomato fert could be applied as a foliar spray (esp for plants grown in soil) as well as used in the water reservoir. You don't see any issues with using it as foliar spray do you?

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2013   #33
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

I can only speak from our experiences and information gleaned from ag universities and professional growers.

Professional growers will tell you that foliar is only used to immediately correct clear micro-nutrient deficiencies. Foliar is not a good way to deliver macros. Unless you have a micro deficiency, we're not aware of any scientific information that suggests any benefit.

If your plants are healthy and look great, our feeling is to leave them be. Added moisture on plants can have the negative consequences of mold and disease.

We're always open to new information, so if there is clear research online that contradicts the above, then we'd like to read it.

If you still want to foliar, as long as you go 1/2 strength and after the sun has gone down, you're fine.

Best regards.....
Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #34
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Geo Growers is selling the product line in the Austin area. I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Can I get Geo to order larger sizes of your product?

VP
vintagepatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I just ordered a mixed case this afternoon. I sent you an email requesting the case price discount as your online system doesn't show that option; but you said it was available. I think you should state that on your website as it might encourage larger orders.

I'm most looking forward to the tomato food as I am planning on feeding mine with a hose end sprayer this year since I mulch so heavily. I'm hoping the citrus formula will improve my production with my lemon, lime and one lone Satsuma that is in the ground. I'm going to try it on my old peach trees to see if they will produce anything.

Do you use the tomato or vegetable on peppers?

After talking to one of you on the phone today I found out about two more possible dealers for this corner of Alabama. I'll try to send you and email with their phone numbers soon.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #36
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Great Service. Ordered Sat. Received Tuesday. Well wrapped. And the price was super. $19.95 plus tax. Shipping was free. Now i'll see how it does with my container grown plants.

MikeInCypress
Old April 4, 2013   #37
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

I decided to give it a try. Like Mike above I agree they have very fast shipping. I ordered Monday afternoon and it arrived here Wednesday morning. Quick service indeed. Looking forward to observing the results.
Old April 4, 2013   #38
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepatch View Post
Geo Growers is selling the product line in the Austin area. I was there a couple of weeks ago.
Can I get Geo to order larger sizes of your product?

VP
They certainly have access to any size we produce, but call them and ask if they can bring in what you want. Often times a retailer won't stock larger sizes until they get a request for it.

Appreciate it.....
Old April 4, 2013   #39
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Great Service. Ordered Sat. Received Tuesday. Well wrapped. And the price was super. $19.95 plus tax. Shipping was free. Now i'll see how it does with my container grown plants.

MikeInCypress
Our products do very well in soil, but containers are where they shine. It's because container gardening is essentially "manual hydroponics". Of course, there are always other factors that have to be considered: such as, your water source, and not letting the containers dry out. Drench heavily.....let them air out (but not dry), drench again. When feeding, always water a container so that 10-15% comes out the bottom. That keeps the rootzone fresh and balanced. When it gets hot, you may be watering 2-3 times/day, depending on the size of your containers.

If you are watering that much, then you'll be feeding them nutrient every 3rd day, perhaps more.

Note the difference between "watering" and "feeding".

What medium are you using in your containers, and how large are the containers?

Thanks......
Old April 7, 2013   #40
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

UF:
My earthtainers are a simple design that I picked up from TonyKOrlando on the Garden Web site. Simply a 10 or 18 gallon Sterilite Container with over flow holes 2 " up from the bottom on the long sides and a plastic shoe box as a reservoir that is fed by a 1-1/2" PVC Tube. I put two plants per box Serves me well as the heat stops my season by July 4 most years. I use Sunshine #4 Mix with added perlite and some dolomitic limestone, adding in a band of Tomato Tone. I try to add 1/3 new mix each year. I spray daconil weekly. Rarely have to water more than twice a day. This year I am trying a drip line into the fill tube so I won't have to manually water but once a day or less. I feed weekly using Algoflash for Tomatoes the last 2 years. I'll be using your product starting this week as most of the plants are blossoming and starting to set fruit. As the home made earthtainer give out I am trying to add Earthboxes. I also have a number of the dwarfs in 7 gal. pots and they will be on the dripline this year. Hope to have a grand crop.

MikeInCypress

Last edited by MikeInCypress; April 7, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
MikeInCypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #41
Keger
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for a liquid nothing is better. I have used it the past couple years when needed. I am a pretty much let nature take its course kind of guy, not even staking or caging this year. I figure the leaves will help shade and protect in this weather. ( yeah, yeah, I know...)

I will load up on more when the big bloom starts. As I sell tomatoes, what I dont lose to BER is a plus, and this stuff helps me have more sellable tomatoes. And the other stuff is OUTSTANDING for other veggies as well.

Last edited by Keger; April 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #42
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered some of the tomato food and the veggie food. I live in the DC area now, but grew up in Houston, so happy to support a Texas business.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #43
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Got my order yesterday afternoon and will start using them today. Thanks.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #44
vintagepatch
Tomatovillian™

Geo Growers is going to contact Adams Wholesale and see if they can get a larger size. I will let you know how it turns out.
vintagepatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #45
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you're part of the reason Adams just placed another large order. Last year, I think we were in 1 store in the Austin area. Now we're in 9 at last count. We can't thank our customers enough......

Call us if you have any questions.