Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 17, 2010   #1
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone grown these?

After mediocre results with sweet peppers over the years, I ordered these 3 varieties from Sand Hill: Frank's, Jimmy Nardello, Orange Bell. I've seen good reports re: Jimmy Nardello but wondering if anyone has any experience with the other two??

LD
Old February 17, 2010   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I tried Frank's and found it a tiny plant with a tiny yield of tiny, not sweet or early fruits. Only tried them one year. Orange Bell was ok with regard to taste, but didn't produce well for me-tried that one 2 years. I'm trying Orange Sun this year, as I still am hoping to find a good variety that is something other than red ripening.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Franks produces very well for me...The plant is dwarf, and I plant several very close to each other...It produces typical italian frying peppers...It is also very early here...Orange Bell is a poor producer for me, and I have switched to mostly frying and pimento style peppers...Of course Jimmy Nardello is a machine...

Jeanne

Tangerine pimento and Doe Hill golden are both early, productive and ripen to a nice deep orange color...Tangerine pimento is a little thinner fleshed than Doe Hill, but probably the better one for production and flavor...Golden Treasure is my favorite pepper that ripens yellow/orange....A little later, but outproduces hybrids and the peppers are thick and large...I have grown them from Skyfire Seeds and they have consistently outproduced 35 other varities each year...
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Orange Bell grew a 3 foot strong stemmed plant here. Production of large peppers was slow, but there was a proliferation of smaller peppers by the end of my short growing season last year. Due to the poor weather last year, I'm going to try it again. Peppers were good sliced up on pizzas. The big ones were big enough to stuff.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #5
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

hey.... thanks for the replies!!!!!!!!!! we'll see how they do for me.

LD
Old February 17, 2010   #6
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have grown Nardello and Franks. Second Jeanne's comments.
Old February 17, 2010   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I've grown all three, and they are good varieties.

Orange Bell is worth trying to see how it does for you - great flavor. I agree with Jeanne that it's not as productive as Franks, Jimmy, or other non-bell sweets / elongated frying types are. However, I could say the same thing about most bells, at least in my growing conditions. PA might be a little different, though.

Franks is early, tasty, and lots of great tasting peppers on compact plants. Other ones that are also early, tasty and compact include Neopolitan and Tollie's Sweet Italian.

Jimmy Nardello is a little later, larger plants, great production and flavor. About the only thing I could say against it is it takes more time to seed a bunch of skinny peppers than it does ones that are larger.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I've grown all three, and they are good varieties.

Orange Bell is worth trying to see how it does for you - great flavor. I agree with Jeanne that it's not as productive as Franks, Jimmy, or other non-bell sweets / elongated frying types are. However, I could say the same thing about most bells, at least in my growing conditions. PA might be a little different, though.

Franks is early, tasty, and lots of great tasting peppers on compact plants. Other ones that are also early, tasty and compact include Neopolitan and Tollie's Sweet Italian.

Jimmy Nardello is a little later, larger plants, great production and flavor. About the only thing I could say against it is it takes more time to seed a bunch of skinny peppers than it does ones that are larger.
I LOVE Tollie's Sweet Italian...it is crisp as can be and not a fussy pepper to grow. A slightly spicey/sweet flavor. Prolific too.
Old February 17, 2010   #9
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, again, for all the helpful replies!!!!!! Look's like Tollie's Sweet Italian is in my future.

LD
Old February 18, 2010   #10
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

OK...I dug out my Tollie's sweet seeds and will include them this year too ...I only grew them one year and it was a horrid pepper year, but many others performed much better , so I never tried them again....If I remember right I was growing Lemme's Italian the same summer and those little plants produced much better, so I have always gone with Lemme's and Melrose...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2010   #11
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy Nardello's did great for me last year. I bought a seedling at SSE when I was in Decorah last memorial day weekend. It was one of the first peppers to turn red, and I had great production. I am starting seedlings of it this year. I almost ordered Franks from Sand Hill so I was glad to see this thread. For bells I am starting King of the North, which was mediocre last year and Ace (F1). Ace (F1) did well in my garden. The other peppers were in containers.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote