Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 28, 2021   #1
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Soaking Seeds

What to use and how long to soak tomato, pepper, okra and eggplant seeds before planting. Many different opinions on the process, time and prep for seeds before planting or germinating. Looking for suggestions that have worked for other TVs.

I have had success in soaking in pure water overnight and then germinating tomato seeds in a coffee filter using the baggie method. Open to ideas about using Hydrogen Peroxide first and then tea, just soaking in tea, or other creative methods to assist in germination.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #2
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I soak my tomato seeds in tap water (has chloramine) rinsing daily until they germinate. It takes between 3 to 10+ days depending on room temp and/or the viability of the seed. Then place them in 2 1/2 inch deep pots.

I tried the same with bell peppers this year for the first time and nothing happened after 10 days. Then I did some research and discovered they need warm temps. I rigged some heat using a heating pad and within three days they started to sprout. Then placed the germinated seeds in pots at least a week ago and still waiting for something to happen.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #3
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Just my 2 cents worth...Bottom heat seems to be essential for good pepper germination. I soak my pepper seeds in a wet coffee filter (just filtered tap water) for about 3 hrs before planting and usually get good germination within 5 days. I don't soak tomato seeds at all unless they are more than 3 yrs old...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes and eggplant I just plant in seed starting mix and water them. I use a heat mat. For peppers I pregerminate mine in moist paper towel in baggies on the heat mat, pot up as soon as I see the root radicle appear.
I don’t grow a okra up here so no experience with it.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2021   #5
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

I also do not soak tomato seeds - but do soak pepper/chilli seeds in luke warm black tea for few hours before potting up in seed mix - did ok last year with them but took a while to germinate even with bottom heat? Toms come up pretty quick for me usually
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2021   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes germinate quickly, and don't need it that warm (but warmth does help), so straight in medium is fine. I put peppers and eggplant just in the wet paper towels, never though about presoaking since that seems pretty wet already, and put that on my room heater (this year I also added a couple beads of calcium nitrate to the towels, seems to have helped a bit). They come up pretty quick, depends on the seed, good ones take about 4-5 days, after the tiny root appears I move them in the medium, where it takes 2 more days to actually sprout.

Last edited by zipcode; January 29, 2021 at 05:41 AM.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2021   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

zipcode, when you see that first tiny pepper radicle in the paper towel and pot it up, do you place the pot back on the heat mat until the seed actually breaks the soil? I used to have a fair number of helmet heads even sowing in soil directly, particularly with peppers.

I employ all the above methods. I didn't start using the paper towel (Dino) method until recently. Right now I have a few baggies in the sunny window. Then back on the heat mat or cable box, which I constantly monitor to avoid cooking. I can't think of a way to use the thermostat with a baggie.

A few blizzardy days ago I was working late into the night starting peppers a month early to experiment with the cold treatment and/or pinching. I lost my mind and accidentally started Esterina. It grew very leggy without light (thinking it was on the pepper schedule and didn't check). Of all tomatoes, what am I going to do with a giant cherry seedling for the next 3 months?

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2021   #8
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Greenthumbomaha, I've got a similar, but worse problem as you. I thought it would be fun to try starting some of the old seeds from Carolyn's collection. I did soak the seeds in water with a few drops of "the blue stuff," (Miracle Grow) for two days, then potted them up and put on the heat mat set to 76F. Many more of the 15-year-old-plus seeds started right up than I expected, and a few from as old as 1992 & 1994! So now I've got 65 tomato plants growing, and I don't even plant into my hoophouse until mid May! I may need to invest in more LED lights!
Old January 29, 2021   #9
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Lisa.
I also grow giant cherry tomatoes (Tomato Berry) - at home on the window sill. My strategy is to put them in a 3-gallon pot, put 3 or 4 bamboo sticks around the circumference from the inside and then I navigate the stems in a sort of spiral. My windows are only 5ft high and I usually manage to squeeze the plants in till the weather is warmer and I can exile them onto the balcony. I usually let 3 shoots grow. My plan for next season (it's too late this year) is to put them in containers with removable bottoms (maybe AirPots) and then they could go into the garden - and not necessarily in a patch: lawn will do.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2021   #10
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

I've been unable to garden a few years now. But last time I did, I soaked my tomato seeds in hydrogen peroxide for only about 5 minutes, which is to kill any fungus on them. I also used a red light over them while soaking. I don't recall the precise reason for that, but I think the light penetrates the seed coat and sparks germination. These were just some tips I read. If memory serves me correctly now, that is when I had seeds start germinating in just 3 days. I have a photo album on here of the the seedlings I grew that year. Very hearty plants, due to various factors I incorporated. I have to relearn everything I knew now.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2021   #11
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
zipcode, when you see that first tiny pepper radicle in the paper towel and pot it up, do you place the pot back on the heat mat until the seed actually breaks the soil? I used to have a fair number of helmet heads even sowing in soil directly, particularly with peppers.
Lisa
Usually I don't put them on the heat since I don't have the space. Helmet heads are mostly due to too shallow seeding, should be about 1 cm under. Also it should be wet enough at the surface. Might depend also on how light the mix is, I imagine something very light will not put enough resistance.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2021   #12
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Greenthumbomaha, I've got a similar, but worse problem as you. I thought it would be fun to try starting some of the old seeds from Carolyn's collection. I did soak the seeds in water with a few drops of "the blue stuff," (Miracle Grow) for two days, then potted them up and put on the heat mat set to 76F. Many more of the 15-year-old-plus seeds started right up than I expected, and a few from as old as 1992 & 1994! So now I've got 65 tomato plants growing, and I don't even plant into my hoophouse until mid May! I may need to invest in more LED lights!
Does Miracle Grow contain potassium nitrate? That is supposed to aid germination. They sell packets of it for that purpose. I am interested in finding something to aid germination of some 10 year old hot pepper seeds I have.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2021   #13
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The only seeds I soak are okra and carrot. Everything else just gets planted into moist soil and they do just fine coming up. Those planted in cell packs or small pots get covered by plastic wrap and set under the lights. I guess there's enough warmth coming off the lights that help the germination. No heat pad underneath. As soon as the seeds pop, the plastic comes off.

Pepper seed averages 8-10 days to germinate and tomatoes 4-6 days.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2021   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Old thread
I soak pepps and tomato seeds only I use small plastic penny bags, the same size that
I save my seeds.
mark the name with sharpie, put the seeds in, add couple tea spoon of water., close ....for over
night , until next day sowing.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2021   #15
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I recently woke up some 21 year old Wild Everglades Tomato seeds by soaking a mild Superthrive and Gibberellic acid mix.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
germination , peroxide , seed , soak , soaking