Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2011   #31
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Yep, the photo is undoubtedly photo shopped to improve its' "desirability". I don't really blame Home Depot or the other big box stores for the misleading marketing. Bonnie Plants now seems to be the vegetable garden plant supplier for the three major big box stores. Talking with a Walmart garden center manager and a Bonnie Plant company regional sales rep. last year, I learned that Bonnie pretty much makes all the decisions specific to varieties sold at each location, and all marketing decisions. When the delivery truck arrives at the big box store, a Bonnie rep. determines the displays and then places the correct price stickers on the plants. It's almost as if the stores lease the space to Bonnie to sell the plants and then collects the money and shares the profits. I really liked Bonnie plants at one time and admired the company history (it's a small business to mega business success story), but I now avoid their product line with a vengeance due to their quality and aggressive marketing style.

Ted
Yeah, I agree, Ted. I didn't mean HD should be ashamed. Its Bonnie that should be ashamed. It's like, "Come on, guys! Hot pink stripes?! Buddy..."
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #32
tedln

I'm sure if they really thought people were gullible enough, they would sell a variety named "Stars and Stripes" and would have a photo of a tomato red, white, and blue in color with little stars and stripes all over it. It would of course be a hybrid. I did plant an early hybrid this year named "Fourth Of July", but it isn't supposed to look like a fire cracker.

Ted
Old April 17, 2011   #33
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I'm sure if they really thought people were gullible enough, they would sell a variety named "Stars and Stripes" and would have a photo of a tomato red, white, and blue in color with little stars and stripes all over it. It would of course be a hybrid. I did plant an early hybrid this year named "Fourth Of July", but it isn't supposed to look like a fire cracker.

Ted
Yeah, I was so insulted (bored actually) that I emailed Bonnie and told them how asinine that is.

What's worse is that when you go to their website, they use a picture of Tigerella for Mr. Stripey.

http://www.bonnieplants.com/tabid/42...9/Default.aspx

Here is their ridiculous caption:

These huge, beefsteak-type red-and yellow fruits with a high sugar content are delicious and pretty to slice because of the bi-coloring. Although it is called Mr. Stripey, don't expect perfect stripes. The background color of the tomato is yellow to light orange and the red often appears in little spots that align themselves in a stripes radiating from the stem end of the fruit. Indeterminate vines produce through the season. Space 24 to 36 inches apart.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #34
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I think my Mr. Stripey is actually a Tigerilla.......Golf ball sized fruit, and very tasty. I will grow again. Thank you Carolyn, and everyone else.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
I think my Mr. Stripey is actually a Tigerilla.......Golf ball sized fruit, and very tasty. I will grow again. Thank you Carolyn, and everyone else.

If golf ball sized and red with gold jagged distinct stripes, yes, it would be Tigerella. I see the two unripe ones in the front but can't make out the gold expected stripes for the one in the back.

I said in an earlier psot here that I really don't like the taste of Tigerella, MUCH too tart and aggressive for me, but if you find it taste that's all that matters.

The other two varieties that came out of the same cross that gave Tigerella were Craigella and Tangella and I do like both of them.
Old May 10, 2011   #36
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I try to pick at the 1/2 ripe stage, and let ripen on the counter. Over the years I find that they taste the same as a full vine ripened tomato. ( At 63 yrs of age maybe my taste buds are damaged) I fear splitting......birds.........worms ect.

Last edited by hornstrider; May 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote