Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 25, 2009   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Mulching with brown grocery bags?

Is the dye used on the bags safe or will it put chemicals into your soil?

I saved bags from "Whole Foods" (a natural retailer), so I'd like to think they use "safe" ink. . . ?
Old May 26, 2009   #2
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Well I called Whole Foods and they said it's safe. . . they use a soy based ink. Yeehaw!!!!!

I need to stop using my reusable bags to get more free mulch, teehee.
Old May 29, 2009   #3
kevokie
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know, especially if we ever get a place where I can put a garden. I just started shopping there and keep the bags. I wish more stores used the paper bags.

"A world without tomatoes is like a string quartet
without violins."- Laurie Colwin, Home Cooking
kevokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2009   #4
ovenbird
Tomatovillian™

More stores using paper bags is an especially good idea if they use recycled paper to make the grocery bags.

Farmers near our landfill wish more people used paper bags as well. Plastic bags blow from the landfill and into their fields. They have a lot of trouble with them getting into the combines and jamming them up. It is VERY dangerous clearing them form the combines. Plus there are plastic bags caught in fences and they are not a pretty sight.
ovenbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

My favorite use for brown paper bags is to cut them up and dry seeds on them after fermenting. The brown paper wicks moisture from the seeds without getting soggy like softer paper, it's easier to write on than paper towels or filter paper, and it's easy to turn up the edges so that I can dry more than one variety on a tray without the risk of any seeds migrating to the wrong group. It's also easier to separate the seeds when they're wet -- I use the tip of a pencil to slide them around. Also, it's a great way to recycle bags that are torn or have lost a handle. After the seeds have dried, I can put the pieces of brown paper bag in either the recycling bin or the compost bin.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote