Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 5, 2012   #16
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I love growing peppers too and my favs so far have been the Anaheims, any Numex types that you grill first and remove the skin before eating. I am still searching for that great pepper to eat raw--sweet, with thick walls. Am trying Park's Early Thickset Improved. We'll see if they live up to their name. Tried an Italian called Friarello, they were just okay. Too thin-walled for me.

But after reading the posts here and seeing the pics of Marko's Slovenia, holy moly they are HUGE! My search might be over.
People, please save lots of seeds so I can request some later this year for next year's harvest. Can anybody tell me how they compared to the Marconis? Cuz I was considering them too.
Thanks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #17
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Slovenia gets red to ripe in 60 days but the go late here also frost would not kill them at first. The longer they are on plants the longer they get perfect for stuffing. Very thick skin, no membrane to cut out. As you see the bottoms are so tight, these is where the strong taste is centered. I buy red ones in stores now never anymore green one for me, these when ripe are better tan any red ones in stores or farmers markets.I look for different peppers at farmers markets all they have are hot ones which i don't buy any, but I am growing some beast seeds now. Scorpion,Red and yellow Bhut, Caribbean Red, Fatila, This Bird
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #18
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

His came from a company website i did print there page, i have been looking for this website now cant find it. Its a big modern company making Hybrid seed, of a lot of food. Theirs were huge on there website/
Old May 5, 2012   #19
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Got the website

http://www.superior-seeds.co.rs/en/pepper.html?category_id=5&page=shop.browse&limit=1 0&limitstart=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38e556e62a7e42b3812fafafd18cfd43.jpg (9.8 KB, 49 views)
Old May 5, 2012   #20
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Okay, checked out Marko's pics of the Slonovo Uvo and realized that what I thought were small to mid sized peppers are actually very large. They are gorgeous! They do remind me a bit of the Marconi peps, and it would be fun to try them side by side for a comparison.

Just offhand, does anyone happen to know of a commercial US seed source for those? And are they a hybrid? That's one I would definitely like to try, especially if it's an OP. (Like I need more plants.)

Also, does anyone have a favorite early sweet red pepper? It doesn't matter if it is fairly small, just that it has good yields, ripens early and is tasty enough for salads. I'm trying sweet banana this year because I heard it was fairly early, but am wondering if there is something better out there.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #21
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Its a hybrid i have not saved seeds yet, Kath did, and no this company owns these Hybrids. They even do not have a picture of these now.Only on the first page not under peppers seeds for sale.

Old May 5, 2012   #22
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Filmnet! I may just have to be patient then. (It's not like I really need any more peppers anyway)

Also, I am pleased with the Marconi and have others that are promising, so life is good!
Old May 5, 2012   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Its a hybrid i have not saved seeds yet, Kath did, and no this company owns these Hybrids. They even do not have a picture of these now.Only on the first page not under peppers seeds for sale.

In Marko's post, which fortyonenorth linked above (#13), it seems that Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Cudo are open-pollinated sweet peppers. I won't have any saved seed until I have a ripe Slonovo Uvo fruit this summer and it's the only one I'm saving seed for this year- figured I'd save seed from Palanacko Cudo the same way I described above (#12) next year since I still have a couple left.

I grew one of the Marconi's (I think the regular, not the Giant) and found it had thinner walls and a curvier shape. Both of the varieties provided by Marko are heftier and very uniform- great when you need to dice or want straight slices. We eat red peppers raw and I also dehydrated some but don't use them green and don't stuff or fry them so I can't comment about using them in cooking.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #24
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i did not know there is a "regular" marconi, i thought there was just the giant marconi. i have grown the giant marconi (red) and the corno do toro (red) and the peppers are pretty much the same - huge (10" long) and very sweet. plants are 5' and taller.

as far as a request for an early red, gypsy produces a lot of peppers, hybrid, is early about 70 dtm but that's yellowish green, then they turn orange and then red.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gyps...w=1183&bih=692

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #25
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
In Marko's post, which fortyonenorth linked above (#13), it seems that Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Cudo are open-pollinated sweet peppers. I won't have any saved seed until I have a ripe Slonovo Uvo fruit this summer and it's the only one I'm saving seed for this year- figured I'd save seed from Palanacko Cudo the same way I described above (#12) next year since I still have a couple left.

I grew one of the Marconi's (I think the regular, not the Giant) and found it had thinner walls and a curvier shape. Both of the varieties provided by Marko are heftier and very uniform- great when you need to dice or want straight slices. We eat red peppers raw and I also dehydrated some but don't use them green and don't stuff or fry them so I can't comment about using them in cooking.
Oh good, I'll be looking for it in your next seed offer.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012   #26
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i did not know there is a "regular" marconi, i thought there was just the giant marconi.
tom
A couple years ago Brokenbar answered a question I had asked as to whether Marconi (Red) was the same as Giant Marconi. She said that Giant Marconi was unique and that it was even larger than Marconi Red. I planned to try Giant Marconi before I found out how much I liked Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Kudo. kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #27
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Funny I was wondering what the difference is between Palanacko Cudo and Slonivo Uvo, I see marko did post photos last year great i am now growing both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Palanacko Cudo.jpg (38.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg Slonivo UVO.jpg (38.3 KB, 186 views)
Old May 6, 2012   #28
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

I love the Italian frying peppers, Marconi does well for me, but it takes a long time to produce. This year I am trying to make my own paprika with Alma paprika peppers. Growing fish peppers for the first time, they will be in the front border because of the beautiful varigated foliage. I gave in an planted some Chinese Giant bell peppers, so that I can have some peppers to tied me over until the frying peppers kick in. Also some jalapenos for salsa.

Has anyone out there made paprika?
Old May 6, 2012   #29
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcottomsvcs View Post
I love the Italian frying peppers, Marconi does well for me, but it takes a long time to produce. This year I am trying to make my own paprika with Alma paprika peppers. Growing fish peppers for the first time, they will be in the front border because of the beautiful varigated foliage. I gave in an planted some Chinese Giant bell peppers, so that I can have some peppers to tied me over until the frying peppers kick in. Also some jalapenos for salsa.

Has anyone out there made paprika?
I grew Cyklon peppers last year, dried them and ground them up for paprika. It was easy and very tasty, much better than the stuff you get in stores. While the heat was quite variable from pepper to pepper, it usually had a nice mild to medium heat over the season. We loved it on stuff like mac n' cheese and casseroles.

I have heard that there are better varieties for paprika, Can't remember them at the moment, but it seems like the Alma Paprika was one that rated pretty high. With paprika in the name, you would certainly think so!

I'll keep my Cyklons because I'm satisfied with them. (And because the one I overwintered has a bunch of green ones on it right now. A bird in the hand....you know.)

I'm also trying the Fish this year, so maybe we can compare notes later. I hear it's very hot so it may be out of my league. But I figure I'll just add less. The leaves on my plants are already showing that beautiful variegation, so at the very least, they should be beautiful in your border!
Old May 7, 2012   #30
Bellatrix
Tomatovillian™

According to the Serbian seed website, Slonovo Uvo should be OP. From what I can tell, all their hybrid varieties all have F1 in the name.

I am really looking forward to trying this pepper (and the other Serbian ones). My seedlings look very happy. I can almost taste the ajvar.

Bellatrix
Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote