Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 10, 2011   #1
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds Aren't Sprouting

I planted some at least two weeks ago and I'm not sure why they aren't coming up. I planted another batch a little over a week ago and a few sprouted (about 6). I did everything the same as the first batch. I should be wetting the seed starting mix, correct? I am not using a bottom heat but will go out and get one if someone thinks I must. This is the first year I decided to grow more of my own rather than order so many plants and if they don't come up it will really effect this seasons success.

Would it be advisable to reseed in the same flats with the unsprouted seed or should I start again with fresh mix? I have only been putting one seed in a hole but maybe 2/3 seeds per hole?

I should add that I have seed from 3/4 different sources so it's not the seed but maybe something I'm doing wrong. I'm also having the same results with my pepper seeds so my confidence as a gardener has taken a nose dive.....my cabbage seed came up though.

We don't have growers in this area that start heirloom so I'll be forced to by those yucky things at Lowes or some such. I still have a few coming from Fusion so it's not a total loss but I had such grand plans for all varieties I order.....I feel sick.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #2
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure some experienced people will reply soon, but I hate to see you not have any replies! I can tell you a couple things you'll probably hear in their responses: don't plant too deep! just lightly cover the seeds with seed starting mix. Cover (loosely) with saran wrap. And I've heard people say that the top of the refrigerator works as well as a special seed-starting-bottom-heater.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #3
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I hope I had answers to your questions, since I too had bad germination with tomatoes this year. I had only very few come up from my first patch sown in potting mix. I reseeded some of the varieties with little luck, so I finally started most of the seeds between wet coffee filter paper in a zipper bag.
I was able to start peppers and petunias with the potting mix OK, so I do not understand why I had so much trouble with the tomatoes.

Sari
Old April 10, 2011   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm far from an expert, but I did get some started this year.

I put mine on top of the Directv box for bottom heat, which seemed to work great.

Like others, I wonder about your reference to a hole - I just put my seeds on top of the damp mix, sprinkled a little dry mix over it, and sprayed it with a mister bottle. Then, saran wrap over, and on top of the Directv box.

I also did start a few in a baggie. I put the seeds on a damp paper towel, folded it over, and put it inside a ziploc. Again, on the 'ol Directv box.

I hope you get your seeds to start soon.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #5
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

If your cabbage sprouted and the tomatoes and peppers did not, I would say it is the soil temp. Cabbage likes cooler temps to sprout.
The depth of the planting as was said can also affect it.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

you don't have to have a heat mat for tomatoes, peppers it would be helpful.

there are so many things that could be an issue it's going to be hard to really say. don't replant into unsprouted seeds, you'll never know which varieties are which if the 1st batch comes up (assuming there are more than 1 variety).

use promix or similar medium specifically for starting seed. never use garden soil or potting soil.

moisten the surface before putting down seed using a mister/spray bottle. promix does not readily absorb cold water but it will slowly, warm water works better/faster.

plant 1/4" deep no more.

cover with promix and then moisten soil using a mister/spray bottle and cover with plastic wrap until germination.

how warm/cold is it where the seeds are? cooler temps means slower germination. DO NOT place container on electrical devices like a direct tv box! any water that runs thru the container can cause serious problems. water and electricity do not mix! top of a fridge is ok but mine is no warmer than ambient air temp. my house is warm as i heat with wood, it's typically 75 in here and i'm sure that aids in germination.

do not place in sun or under light until you have germination.

keep medium damp not sopping wet and covered with plastic wrap until germination.

there is no need to sprout before seeding.

my seeds were started monday and by thursday i had seedlings for 2 varieties up. by saturday a few more and this morning all but 1 have come up. some varieties germinate faster than others every year. sun gold always is up 1st and very fast. older seed can take longer and some varieties just are slower than others. i have had sees that were not up when all others had been up 9-10 days. sometimes i restart then but sometimes they are just slower.

after i post this i'm sure i'll think of 10 more things but it is not hard to get tomatoes to grow. i'm sure whatever is wrong is a simple thing to correct. now if the seeds are very old that's nothing you can do to help other than soaking with a pinch of blue stuff. i never did that and have had success with seeds pushing 10 years when other people i sent the same seeds to are reporting troubles. who knows why they have issues?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #7
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I'm not going to help a bit here, but I have to say that some times it just seems to happens, I have planted what I think, is the exact same way with different results. This spring I planted a 36 unit tray. Most came up in 5 (yes 5) days. 5 or 6, I though were a no go, and then they came up after about 10 days. Tomato seeds, planted 3 to a hole. They acted like they were dry but I don't think so. Maybe the depth?? Can a tomato seed be planted too deep?
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

DirecTV box, fridge, etc work great - but yes, it is an obvious point to make sure any water does not escape onto the electronics. I had my seedling trays inside soldid trays, so they did not leak.
Old April 10, 2011   #9
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

heat works..........really, if they dried out then seed is dead, otherwise patience

See....it works for me and it's very cold here yet.

Notice warming tray....I run it 75-80
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #10
bullish
Tomatovillian™

I had issues this year with a few of my seeds, and the within two days of raising the soil heat, the problems went away.
This is my second year starting from seeds, and I started roughly 120 plants from seeds this year.
Moisture and Heat are key, in my (beginner) experience.
Old April 10, 2011   #11
ljp
Tomatovillian™

I planted 28 varieties using the dense planting approach (5-10 seeds per cell ) described in the seed starting forum http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437.

The seed varied in age and sprouted in 4-12 days. Wintersowing, I had some tomatoes sprout after a month.

Start some more using the dense method, it won't take much space. Seeds are planted on the surface and lightly covered. You may be a little late; but, you will end up planting out when you should, not when you want to.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011   #12
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Wow, thanks for all the responses--I've read through each one and want to reply to each of you--but we're going out the door on our way to pick up a Bosc pear tree and will be back in about 2 hours and I'll post a response then--I might stop at Walmart and pick up a heating pad too-I have a Directv box too tam91.

I just want to quickly say that you all made me feel there's hope and time to turn this around.
Old April 10, 2011   #13
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

tam91
Quote:
I put mine on top of the Directv box for bottom heat, which seemed to work great.
DirecTV box, fridge, etc work great - but yes, it is an obvious point to make sure any water does not escape onto the electronics. I had my seedling trays inside soldid trays, so they did not leak.
We have Directv too--what a great idea for bottom heat! Yeah, water in the Directv would make me a popular person here at home and no TV to watch.

Quote:
I also did start a few in a baggie. I put the seeds on a damp paper towel, folded it over, and put it inside a ziploc. Again, on the 'ol Directv box.
I just read a thread further down that discusses this and I think the idea is a great one--I'm going to start some using this method.
http://75.125.187.178/~tomatovl/showthread.php?t=15714

Quote:
I hope you get your seeds to start soon.
Thanks, tam91, I think the addition of heat that you and everyone here has pointed out is what's been missing, thank you so much.

Remy
Quote:
If your cabbage sprouted and the tomatoes and peppers did not, I would say it is the soil temp. Cabbage likes cooler temps to sprout.
The depth of the planting as was said can also affect it.
Remy
It's clear now that heat is all these tomatoes and peppers need especially after you pointed out about the cabbage sprouting and nothing else.

-just bought a heating pad, thanks Remy

tjg911
Quote:
you don't have to have a heat mat for tomatoes, peppers it would be helpful.
I just bought one, tjg911 (Tom), I think heat was what was missing--I'm finding out that tomatoes and peppers really need this warmth to sprout.

Quote:
there are so many things that could be an issue it's going to be hard to really say. don't replant into unsprouted seeds, you'll never know which varieties are which if the 1st batch comes up (assuming there are more than 1 variety).
Yes, there are one than one vareity--good idea--the less confusion the better.

Your info will be a very valuable as I set to redo this seeding--you mentioned that there is no need to sprout before planting but I want to try a couple that way to see what this "paper towel" method is all about. I've never used it in the past when planting so I think you are correct in saying that it isn't necessary.

OneoftheEarls
Quote:
heat works..........really, if they dried out then seed is dead, otherwise patience
What a wonderful set up you have there Earl and the ones that have come up look strong and healthy--yes, heat seems to be what I'm missing.....and maybe a little patience, too.

bullish
Quote:
I had issues this year with a few of my seeds, and the within two days of raising the soil heat, the problems went away.
This is my second year starting from seeds, and I started roughly 120 plants from seeds this year.
Moisture and Heat are key, in my (beginner) experience.
Funny how the simple stuff is so important and how many times I've read about heat mats too. That's what the experienced gardeners are here to remind us and walk us through when we panic--all I can say is thank you!

ljp
Quote:
I planted 28 varieties using the dense planting approach (5-10 seeds per cell ) described in the seed starting forum http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437.
Now that is something new to me--what an exciting thread--looks like I have some reading to do but I'll love every minute of it, thanks for sharing this method with me, ljp

coloken
Quote:
I'm not going to help a bit here, but I have to say that some times it just seems to happens, I have planted what I think, is the exact same way with different results. This spring I planted a 36 unit tray. Most came up in 5 (yes 5) days. 5 or 6, I though were a no go, and then they came up after about 10 days. Tomato seeds, planted 3 to a hole. They acted like they were dry but I don't think so. Maybe the depth?? Can a tomato seed be planted too deep?
KennyP
You've been very helpful, KennyP, funny how I got so rusty it's been a while since I've started my own seed--I thought I had nothing to worry about but then I forget the simple things.

svalli
Quote:
I hope I had answers to your questions, since I too had bad germination with tomatoes this year. I had only very few come up from my first patch sown in potting mix. I reseeded some of the varieties with little luck, so I finally started most of the seeds between wet coffee filter paper in a zipper bag.
I was able to start peppers and petunias with the potting mix OK, so I do not understand why I had so much trouble with the tomatoes.
Sari
Thank you, Sari, I think I'm going to try the paper towel/coffee filter method just to see how it goes--I have enough seed to try a couple of methods mentioned here--I wish you luck--good gardening.

shlacm
Quote:
I'm sure some experienced people will reply soon, but I hate to see you not have any replies! I can tell you a couple things you'll probably hear in their responses: don't plant too deep! just lightly cover the seeds with seed starting mix. Cover (loosely) with saran wrap. And I've heard people say that the top of the refrigerator works as well as a special seed-starting-bottom-heater.
Thanks, shlacm, I got more replies than I dreamed of--everyone has been very generous with their time and expertise. Top of the refrigerator would have been my first choice but then tam91 mentioned the Directv box--we've got two of those in the house and they will be quite handy now.

Again, thanks to all of you for your quick responses I was pleasantly surprised to see all the helpful posts--it's most appreciated.
Old April 12, 2011   #14
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Default Update

Wow, the application of heat has my tomatoes popping up and keeping me busy with repotting--very happy!

Peppers are still stubborn--might have to reseed but I don't mind.

Thanks, to all!
Old April 12, 2011   #15
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Excellent! I'm so glad to hear that.

The peppers love heat, I hope they work out for you too.