Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 8, 2010   #16
OddBall
Tomatovillian™

I've used the tissue paper - ziplock method for germination testing my tomatoes seeds, and it worked nicely.

As it's hot and humid during the summer, keeping them in a room is a bit worthless, also in air-conditioned room the tissue paper get dry fast, so I've used a fridge, which is having a suitable temperature, and humidity.

also I've checked it almost daily, to ensure the tissue paper is moist and nice.
OddBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2010   #17
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I do that with old corn seeds as well - you just have to watch for mold problems that can happen when a 'bad' seed starts to rot after a few days of soaking in a paper towel. Works well for me, as I pre-sprout seeds this way before planting them out. Ensures no 'holes' in my corn patch

Tania
Thanks for sharing your experience, Tania. I'm excited to try this next year.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #18
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

BUMP

I Just tried the coffee filter-ziplock method on pepper seeds. I put them in ziplocks 4 days ago and already some have started sprouting. Now I need help!!
How do I proceed. I know I need my growing medium damp and ready for a plant. Do I make a small hole to plant in or can I lay the sprout on top of medium and sprinkle a little peatmoss on top and dampen it with a mist? Do I start taking each sprout from the coffee filter as they sprout or wait till most have sprouted and do them all at once? Do they need to go under lights immediately and what is optimum temp for these young sprouts? Germination is looking real good so I dont want to mess up now. First time trying this method but I think I like it for peppers but most likely do my Tomatoes the old fashion dense-seeding(thanks Craig) way.
I need some responses soon cause I have to do something with some of them today i think.

thanks
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #19
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

put a closed plastic bag on a heating tray or mat at 70-75F and watch the magic
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #20
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

I have got that part down pat Earl. I have sprouts.
How do I pot up the tiny sprouts?

ron
Old January 4, 2011   #21
bcday
Tomatovillian™

You need to get the sprouts off the coffee filter before the tiny roots get too well established within the fibers of the coffee filter. If they've already grown into the filter, cut the filter with scissors instead of trying to rip the roots out of it.

If the roots aren't too long, I just poke a hole in the damp potting medium. Make sure the joint where the root meets the stem is level with or a fraction below the surface after you've firmed the potting medium. Add a little medium around the stem if the joint is above the surface after you've watered it in, so that the top part of the root doesn't dry out.

If the roots are too long or if I have to cut the filter, I make a steep downward-sloping trench instead of a straight hole. You can also just lay the roots on the surface and cover them if that's easier.

Be careful not to leave the roots exposed to the air any longer then necessary. It only takes about 30 seconds of exposure to the air for a young sprout's root tips to dry out beyond recovery. The sprout could still survive but it's a setback that you don't need. I also water them in as I go instead of waiting until I've planted them all.

The sprouts do need to go under lights immediately, otherwise they will start to stretch out in search of light. Temperature for growing seedlings does not need to be as warm as for germination so you don't need a heat mat for them. Room temperature is fine. Good air circulation will help to grow sturdy stems and avoid damping off.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #22
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks BC

That is the information that I needed. I was sure someone here would have some answers. I will start potting them up this evening and will keep posting in a new thread as to their progress. This method seems much faster because last year mt peppers took from two to three weeks just for the seeds to pop open.
Anyone else with additional information is more than welcome to chime in.
regards
ron
Old January 4, 2011   #23
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I too have some peppers sprouting in paper towels inside my oven with the pilot light on, keeps things warm all night, germination started after 4 days. I did the same last year with peppers, eggplant and tomatoes with very good results. I do pot them up after they push the seed coat out and at least have one leaf out. I do not wait for all to germinate. I make a trench in the soiless media at 60 degrees and lay them towards the wall... push the media to bury the roots. I use the same method when transplanting tender true potato seedlings since they are so little.

Last edited by wmontanez; January 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2011   #24
brog
Tomatovillian™

AMI???? How did you stay out of this ONE.
Old January 5, 2011   #25
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

I will definatly try this. The "wait" for the peppers and eggplants drives me nuts

With the bigger seeds (eg corn) do you plant straight into the garden when they sprout?
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #26
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Full moon,

I have done also the paper towel method to not have "voids" in my garden where one seeds was eaten or not sprout. I had particularly better results with some legumes that way because planting in the soil sometimes here in New England is too wet or cold nights and they rot. I basically saw the corn as it was sprouting within the same day. I put some corn seeds in the morning and the next day the roots were already out, it's cool for kids!. So be warned that with corn, beans and easy to sprout seeds a DAY only may be required.Do it when you are ready to plant the seedlings outdoors within few days or you might have to pot up to transplant later (Which I have also done )

I don't own a germination mat so I pop them in my oven with the pilot light on. Good luck!

Last edited by wmontanez; January 6, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2011   #27
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Wendy.
Good thing you warned me I would not have imagine it would take only a day!
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2011   #28
King Carrot
Tomatovillian™

I use paper towel in plastic containers (butter/Ice cream) with the lid on to keep the moisture in. As long as you're not doing hundreds of seeds it works well. I then put the germinated seed in a pot of their own or straight in the ground. I generally use this method for toms, peppers, cucubits, legumes, sweet corn and even brassicas. Like I said, its a lot of faffing around if you have loads of seeds.
King Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #29
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I started all my maters and peppers on 1/7 via soil. However, I received some habs and SB's in a trade, so thought I would try the towel/ziplock method. Placed them on a heating mat set to med. Hoping to have sprouts by the weekend. Thanks for all the great advice!
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2011   #30
Indyartist
Tomatovillian™

I have my early seeds in paper towels now to try my new "wall-o-water"s. I've never done transplants this way but hoping for success.
“Men should stop fighting among themselves and start fighting insects”
Luther Burbank
Indyartist is offline   Reply With Quote