Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 22, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Muddy Bucket Farm Wet Report

Looking back to the night when we got 9 inches of rain, the downpours have continued and the mud is really deep. My seedlings all have wet feet and the garden in on a sloping piece of real estate. Here's a couple of pix's showing what I found this afternoon. You can see the wet mud in almost every view.

I can't get in there to cut weeds and I also can't plant seedlings.

So, here's the view. The plant at the right edge of the frame is a Cherokee Purple with three larger (10 oz plus) very green and very much bursting skins.

2019View1.JPG

The beans are approaching the time to harvest and I can only look at the ends of this 110 foot row.

Beans&Row2&4.JPG

This Shadow Boxing Type 4 is really showing a bunch of Antho - even the stems.

ShadowBoxingT4Antho.JPG

Black Bear has as many blooms as a good productive cherry. I hope it isn't a cherry.
R8P21BlackBear.JPG

For KarenO, this is Polaris. It is showing a lot of antho in the stem, but is typical of the leggy seedlings I now have due to not being able to get into the garden. This was the last plant to go into the garden. My muddy tracks were washed away this morning by the latest deluge.

R6P11Polaris.JPG

And, also for KarenO, this is Karma Purple Multiflora. I expected more blooms, but this season is so out of whack that I'll have to wait for more info from the plant.

R8P14KarmaPurpleMultiflora.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You could really use some sunshine.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2019   #3
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Feel for you Ted - horrible weather this year.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Where there’s life... here’s hoping for some sunshine for you.
Poor Polaris but kpmf seems alright so far

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

No sunshine today, but the 100% humidity that came with the "0" visibility fog this morning has allowed me to do some planting in Row one where I don't have to wade the mud. Anyhow, I still had to tie the old tennis shoe strings together and throw that pair into the creek to wash the mud off them. But I did a count and I now have 65% of my varieties in the ground. If it continues like this, I'll get the rest of them in the next few days.

I think I have to do something really nice for Mother Nature and maybe then she'll let me off the hook this year. Dang, this has been a very weird and "different" kind of season start. If it all works out, I'll have more than 150 plants in the works.

Next year, I must cut back on the quantity of plants. My doctor says if I don't, he'll have me placed under medical arrest and activity surveillance. He seems to think my body is trying to tell me something I'm not listening to. I have to think about this.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old June 24, 2019   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

My mother in Lexington, KY complains "rain, rain and more rain" every time I talk to her. Maybe you need to change the name of your farm. I hope things improve there soon, Ted.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #7
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We live North of Lexington & are supposedly 14" above normal for the year.
Old June 24, 2019   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I usually take trash out to the county pickup point which is 4 miles to the Northeast of here. I always go there because I can judge the level of Norris Lake. Right now, it is higher than I've ever seen it and that goes back to 1976 - like 6 to 8 feet above full pool. We've been getting a lot of water over the dam (controlled). And, guess what? We are now under yet another severe weather watch for more heavy rain, hail, and wind for this afternoon and evening.

I'm beginning to grow webs between my fingers and toes. I don't recall this kind of wet in my 75 years of living. On a bright note, though, my blue lake green beans will be a bumper crop if they survive the flooding, and also if the bees can get into the blooms.

Bright spot is that the weather forecast for the big bicycle races scheduled this weekend in Knoxville is good. Temps in the upper 80's and humidity off the scale, but the rain is supposed to back off for a few days. The light at the end of the tunnel may not be a speeding train.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old June 24, 2019   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I'd like to get some of your rain - and sent you a bit of our heat! It's already brutally hot here and we are supposed to get a new heat record this coming Wednesday, even an overall record since the data were started in 1887.

BTW, Henry's Sunshine is doing fine despite the heat, but I've given him a place where he gets some shade in the afternoon - better is better in case the summer will be as hot as last year!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019   #10
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™

I do hope you get some sunshine soon, unpredictable unseasonable weather is everywhere these days... I can see from the first pic this garden is in a beautiful location, while not the best weather for the toms, the cloud/mist on the hills looks enchanting.

Looking forward to seeing your plants grow, thanks for sharing and make sure you look after yourself as much as your toms .
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Well, the heat wave continues on in German. Today its 100 deg, F. The saving grace is the humidity
is 20 Percent.

Ami
Old July 1, 2019   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Well, the heat wave continues on in German. Today its 100 deg, F. The saving grace is the humidity
is 20 Percent.

Ami
Do very many people have air conditioning there if any at all?
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Worth,

As a rule no. If they do, they buy a portable unit and install it in their living room or Bedroom. Weather like we are having here is rare.

Ami
Old July 3, 2019   #14
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Cfa climate will start expanding northwards into Cfb climate of western and central Europe. You better get used to higher temperatures and humidity in the summer. Here is the present vs prediction for 50 years in the future.

Rest of the world here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ification_.gif

Last edited by arnorrian; July 3, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote