Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 4, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Problem on Summer Sunrise and Summertme Gold

Need help with disease ID and management. I am late in planting this year (weather and hail damage) and while still in cups these two varieties are experiencing what I am thinking is Early Blight. They were started at different times in different mediums, but both were outside in an extended cold spell about a month ago. I'm reluctant to plant them because I don't have disease showing elsewhere - yet. I had purchased Serenade and Daconil but after reading another thread I had decided not to use either. On just these two I can give treatment a try, or just not plant them at all if they will still infect neighboring dwarfs. I was looking forward to these as they have many fans of their sweet flavor.

Sun is a premium and I crammed these in to a 42 X 42 raised garden : Tasmanian Chocolate, Tastywine, ,Wild Fred, "maybe" Wherokowhai, Tennessee Suited and a few unmarked plants. I still have many more transplants with heavy hail damage to stick in random spots around the garden. I'd love for these two yellows to have a premium sunny spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer sunrise leaves.JPG (151.7 KB, 66 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Not sure that is a disease, looks like a dead leaf due to damage. Some varieties are more sensitive and will quickly get rid of their damaged leaves.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It's early blight. Use some liquid copper fungicide at the weakest recommended strength.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2019   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

zipcode, I have a dozen hail damaged swarf plants, only these two are showing symptoms. I haven't observed any leaf drop otherwise but I will keep an eye on both the dwarf and ind plants.

Marsha , Early Blight is no stranger to my garden, but usually after it is planted. No surprise it is starting early with all the rain we had!

I planted the SS in a separate container. It's one day one day off for the rain. Treatment will be a challenge on to itself.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote