Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2019   #16
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Spike has incredibly short shelf-life.

It can have great flavor under the right conditions, but too often it is very difficult to deal with.

We stopped growing it, and selling seeds for the variety.

But, we have a new variant of Taste -- Taste Patio -- that may be of interest.
We might be offering it this fall. It produces Taste-like fruits on a plant that remains more compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
jmsieglaff, I grew Spike last year. Loved the unusual foliage and compact size, but I was disappointed in the flavour and the fact that they rotted rapidly. I much preferred Taste (also a compact plant from Artisan) and I'm growing it again this year . In my little taste tests against Blush and Little Lucky, "Taste" tasted the best!!!!

Linda
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2019   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear about Spike as it looked so adorable.

Taste Patio sounds great Fred. I assume it could go in a 3 gallon container? I'd be most interested in growing it. Hoping it will be available this fall .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2019   #18
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I also am fond of saladettes. They are so versatile, and generally seem to have much less splitting and cracking than larger, flatter tomatoes. A new favorite this year is Iditarod Red from the dwarf project. Clusters of around 5 fruit. Nice sized plant (as are virtually all the Project offerings). None ripe yet at around a month, but this has been a chilly, rainy early season. These are getting close.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote