Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 4, 2014   #1
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Default Eating squash flowers

Growing 6 or 7 types this year...is there any reason to avoid eating flowers from any varieties, or are the all pretty much similar in flavour/texture/etc? I like them fairly big and firm as I usually stuff 'em and fry 'em (stuff with crab and mascarpone and nutmeg, dip in tempura batter, fry in some peanut oil)...neighbours usually chop them up and mix them into a pancake-type batter and cook them like pancakes or flat fritters.

These were dipped in tempura batter then into italian breadcrumbs before frying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zucchini blossoms.jpg (63.5 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by Anthony_Toronto; April 4, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #2
katkoot
Tomatovillian™

I've had all different ones and found them to be all good. I make them into soup.
katkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

all will be similar in flavor- zucchini tend to be the firmest/easiest to work with.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #4
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Looks yummy! Hopefully I'll have some of my own to cook...in a few weeks that is!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #5
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Tempura batter prep for the blossoms sounds yummy! I'm growing summer squash and zucchini this year, I hope to have lots of blossoms to fry. From what I understand zukes and summer squash can be so prolific you end up with too much veggie. If that happens I'm going to be busy harvesting blossoms

Last edited by Vespertino; April 4, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

While we always ate them dipped in a flour and egg batter and fried (never stuffed) or in a Frittata when I was growing up, I sauté them in olive oil with garlic until soft and serve as a bruschetta topping.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

My grandmother used to cook squash flowers. Personally, I never really liked it, I'd much rather eat the fruit.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #8
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I add them to my breakfast ramen noodle concoction and the wife will sometimes batter and fry them.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #9
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

I like the flowers because they have an interesting and fresh flavour. I usually pinch off close to the main stem so I have a long 'handle' when its time to dip them or eat them, though I cut them off for the above plate. I also usually remove the flower's sex organs before I stuff and cook, just assume these wouldnt be as edible as the rest of the flower, which almost seems reminiscent of some sort of lettuce.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone prepared them without breading them. I've always passed on them because I've always seen them bread and I'm not a fan of breaded stuff. I'd think cut up they add some color to things.

A thought just crossed my mine. How would they be in a salad raw?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #11
BriAnDaren
Tomatovillian™

I either do a quick boil or stir fry pumpkin flowers and stems with garlic and oil. Pumpkin leaves can also be used in a similar manner but I'm not crazy about the texture. The whole pumpkin plant is edible.

Both male and female flowers are used however the little 'fruit' at the bottom of female flowers should be cut up for more even cooking.

Some squash have bitter flowers.

Daren
BriAnDaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #12
squirrel789
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Toronto View Post
I like the flowers because they have an interesting and fresh flavour. I usually pinch off close to the main stem so I have a long 'handle' when its time to dip them or eat them, though I cut them off for the above plate. I also usually remove the flower's sex organs before I stuff and cook, just assume these wouldnt be as edible as the rest of the flower, which almost seems reminiscent of some sort of lettuce.
I agree with this, the flowers are great! Make sure to gently wiggle your fingers into the closed blossoms and remove the sex organs, although some say this isn't necessary, I prefer to do it. Plus, I've found more than a few bugs this way that were hiding in the blossom I try to pick only the male blossoms, usually perched on a long slender stem, and then pick the baby zucchini before the female blossom wilts too much.

MY favorite variety of zucchini, for the vegetable or the blossoms is an Italian heirloom called Costata Romanesco (got mine from highmowingseeds. com). These plants grow and grow and grow here in the hot and humid Midwest, despite their Mediterranean origin. I've often mistaken a single plant for 2 plants in my dad's garden. They are sweet, green with white stripes, and have more flavor than most of the more typical varieties I've tried.

Fried with a light, puffy beer batter and a pinch of salt is great. But I think they really shine in an egg dish, like the Fritatta mentioned above, with some green onion and goat cheese. I have a pic of one I made last year somewhere I'll upload that will make you want to try it

Mine just sprouted last night...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.JPG (115.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.JPG (125.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.JPG (117.2 KB, 118 views)
squirrel789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Yummy!
I also love Costata Romanesco. I make a soup with flowers and young squash.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015   #14
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

A while back when I had landscapers (guy was from Jalisco area of Mexico) he said they put them in little tortillas (similar to how we make quesadillas) and they put some of that fresh white cheese inside too. My husband lightly fried a flower in a little butter and put it in our omelet one day and it was amazing! Then we moved on to the quesadilla with some pepper jack and it was equally awesome!
Old May 28, 2015   #15
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I ate some yesterday. My wife makes quesadillas with cheese and Zucchini flowers. Delicious!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote