Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old February 15, 2014   #1
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Will my acorn squash seeds cross pollinate

in my garden with any of the other squash or cucurbit family? Or do they cross only with an acorn squash variety?

Thanks, I'm having a Facebook discussion with some fellow gardeners who want to know.

zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Acorn are of the pepo species of squash, so they will cross with other pepos such as crookneck, zucchini, Delicata, jack-o-lantern, decroative gourds, scallop, marrow, patty-pan, spaghetti, dumpling, etc.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

They will cross with all the summer, zucchini, spaghetti squash; Connecticut Field, Howden and New England Pie pumpkins, the small warted gourds and a host of other squash and pumpkins that I'd have to look up. It doesn't matter unless you are saving seed.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't matter unless you are saving seed.

Exactly !!

The fruit this year will be OK to eat and you won't notice anything.

But the seeds could produce who knows what goofy thing NEXT year.

Carol
who grows about 5+ acres of squash
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #5
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default corn squash

Thanks everyone! Now I can forward this to my daughter and our group of will be growing gardens soon!

I just re-read her FB question and found out that it is saved seeds from a grocery store acorn squash. So who knows what was planted close by or even where it was grown.

Thanks again. I love that I can ask any old question and get such fast and interesting answers.

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Thanks everyone! Now I can forward this to my daughter and our group of will be growing gardens soon!

I just re-read her FB question and found out that it is saved seeds from a grocery store acorn squash. So who knows what was planted close by or even where it was grown.

Thanks again. I love that I can ask any old question and get such fast and interesting answers.

Zeroma
Chances are its parents are F1 hybrids. It most likely grew in a fairly large field of acorns. My guess is that you'll end up with acorns that are quite variable in many respects.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote