Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 26, 2015   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default Over wintering a container

I was thinking of getting 2 of these to grow my tomatoes in next year....

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/planter...t=51&q=planter

....I was wondering what you do after the season is over. Do you let soil in and how do you keep it from swelling when freezing or do you cover the planters over winter.
Old June 26, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

They look very nice Cecil! Love cedar!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
I was thinking of getting 2 of these to grow my tomatoes in next year....

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/planter...t=51&q=planter

....I was wondering what you do after the season is over. Do you let soil in and how do you keep it from swelling when freezing or do you cover the planters over winter.
Very pricey at almost $60 per tomato plant. I also wonder how it would hold up with 3 feet of snow on top of it.
If you look at the specifications it states that it is a generous '10 inches' deep. This would mean probably no more than 9" of soil which puts you at the very low end of what is needed for tomatoes. Another disadvantage is the soil is cooled off in all directions - tomatoes like it hot.

It is a very nice planter, but I wouldn't use it for tomatoes.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #4
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Very pricey at almost $60 per tomato plant. I also wonder how it would hold up with 3 feet of snow on top of it.
If you look at the specifications it states that it is a generous '10 inches' deep. This would mean probably no more than 9" of soil which puts you at the very low end of what is needed for tomatoes. Another disadvantage is the soil is cooled off in all directions - tomatoes like it hot.

It is a very nice planter, but I wouldn't use it for tomatoes.
Any alternative suggestions????
Old June 29, 2015   #5
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Florida so snow is not an issue, but I just let mine sit over the winter. We do get overnight freezes a few times each year, but so far my containers are fine. I've had the same containers for several years now. Only add soil to them as needed each year (I dump into a bin and mix the new stuff in then put back in container) Snow might be a different story though.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #6
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I've been googling but haven't found anything else, but I doubt the ones in the picture would hold up to snow. Those of you who container grow, what are you using, pots? If so, do you reuse the soil and do you let them out?
Old July 1, 2015   #7
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
Any alternative suggestions????
Standard raised beds (on the ground) are usually 11 to 15-1/2" high with the advantage that if a plant wanted to go deeper, even with bad ground underneath it could give it a try. The raised planter seems too shallow for tomatoes (unless maybe dwarf varieties) plus the cooling effect with the full airflow does not seem ideal. I would also wonder if after a couple of years if the bottom just might drop out from weight and moisture. I really like the "LOOK", but I doubt the practicality and functionality is all what it is cracked up to be, especially at that price.

For patio or deck I think EarthBoxes or regular 5-10 gallon planters with more soil depth would serve you much better for tomatoes - they would also be way more economical and also portable for winter storage. If height is an issue you could put them on a low table. If you're handy and you're after aesthetics, you can even make your own EarthBoxes or planters out of cedar or redwood.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #8
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Okay, thanks for all the info. I will stick to just planting in the bag of potting soil. I was just trying to gain height because of my back, but from what I see online you have to empty out pots each fall and clean them, so that's actually more work, not less. Thanks for saving me from myself
Old July 4, 2015   #9
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

If you have a hydroponic store in your area, they carry plastic growbags that are nice for tomatoes and easier to water and move (roll the top edge for handles) than growing directly in bags of potting soil. 7 G bags are $.65 each for me, made of thick, reversible material (white on one side, black on the other).
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #10
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

So, how long does the cedar last on a raised bed? I have seen several in catalogs, but wonder if I would be replacing the cedar frequently or are they cedar?