Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2012   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default What's eating my chard? And what to do?

I have rainbow swiss chard that's being eaten byt something - I suspect it's bugs rather than bunnies etc., as there are holes in many of the leaves.

What should I put on chard - Sevin? I do not grow organic, so I am open to anything effective.
Old May 31, 2012   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

If these are large holes, bigger than the tiny ones that flea beetles would cause, I suspect slugs. During the day they hide in cool moist areas under mulch, rocks or lumps of dirt nearby and come out in the evening or in damp weather to feed. There are commercial slug baits you can buy to sprinkle around the garden. That will help to take care of the slugs you don't find. There are also a phenomenal number of creative organic ways to dispose of the ones you do find, ranging from luring them with saucers of beer, to covering them with salt, to dispatching them with scissors or two rocks.

I wouldn't want to put Sevin directly onto the part of the plant I was planning to eat, regardless of what the label says. But if you do, I think for Sevin dust the label says you have to wait two weeks before you can safely eat the treated chard (same as beet or turnip greens). And I'm not sure Sevin is effective against slugs, check the label.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I've had a terrible time with cabbage loopers on the lettuce this year - though none on the brassicas. Go figure. Upon close inspection you'd be able to see the little green caterpillars. Bt would be my weapon of choice. Slugs could be suspect and also earwigs. Both would be present at night.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

My kale plants that are in ground are totally stripped of leaves! I find slugs around. It usually starts as a few holes, and before you know it, all that is left are the bare ribs. I have to figure out a way to keep them out of my plants too. I've heard putting a wooden board in the garden and scraping them off in the morning is a good way to capture them without chemicals. An icky job to be sure, but worth a shot.
Old May 31, 2012   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Birds will eat bites of kale and chard, and strip young plants to the midribs. A neighbor has a bird feeder hanging in an orange tree and a garden bed nearby. The birds go to the feeder, then sit on the bigger chard midribs and nibble away. I protect seedlings with cloches (gallon water bottles with the bottoms cut off) from about Oct to May, because I've observed small birds nibbling them down to stubs otherwise. One year I pulled the covers off my 4-ft. pea plants, thinking they were big enough to fend for themselves, and within 2 days only the stems were left.

If it's birds, floating row cover will work. I've also used netting/tulle from the fabric store, sheer curtains/fabric, and lengths of window screening.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. Well my impression from looking at the damage was more likely some sort of bug than birds, but I'm not sure. This garden isn't at my home, I'll have to go look and perhaps photo when it stops raining.

I'll look up what kills slugs, in case that's it.
Old May 31, 2012   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am thinking slugs or cabbage moths - I've had issues with both of them this year - they decimated my Red Russian Kale!
Old May 31, 2012   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

So how do you kill or discourage them?

This garden is not at my home, so I'm more inclined towards chemicals or something than manual methods.
Old June 1, 2012   #9
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Slugs are enjoying my chard too. I bought slug bait but haven't used it much. Next time (fall?) I'll be proactive with the slug bait and use it regularly from the seedling stage on.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #10
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

grasshoppers are currently working on ours...
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #11
bcday
Tomatovillian™

The bait I use to kill slugs is called Ortho Bug-Geta Snail & Slug Killer. It really works and you should be able to find it at almost any store that sells garden supplies. Don't put the bait on the chard leaves. You put it on top of the soil around the plants and places nearby where slugs might hide. The label clearly says DO NOT allow the bait to come in contact with the parts of the plant that may be used for food.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #12
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I will be careful.
Old June 1, 2012   #13
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Less-toxic iron-phosphate slug baits are also available, such as Sluggo.

I've also seen shallow trays of beer used effectively -- the slugs and snails slither in and can't get out. Or you can use yeast, water, and sugar.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2012   #14
tam91
Tomatovillian™

The man that owns the farm has a dog - so I will need to be careful. And I'm not sure he's appreciate me getting his dog drunk
Old June 1, 2012   #15
janezee
Tomatovillian™

I got tired of cutting the slugs, stepping on them, spearing them on skewers, etcetera last year, and got $3/6-pack beer from Walgreen's, put an inch or so in the bottom of wine bottles, then made depressions in the soil so the bottles laid in there, with the lip of the bottle level with the soil. I've cut my slug population at least in half since last summer. It does smell disgusting when you empty it, but you won't run the risk of poisoning the dog with slug bait. It is very dangerous for dogs, because it accumulates in their bodies and kills them.

jane
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote