Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 11, 2011   #16
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

B54red - Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, as time goes by the mite problem is definately getting better and not worse. The powder is kind of a pain but I have a duster spreader that gets under the leaves real well. Gets windy at dusk however, which is when I need to apply. So funny, I am off to buys more today too. I have stopped buying large sizes of things until I see how they work. lol LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Linda the sulfur seems to have helped a good deal but by no means has it gotten rid of the little buggers. I don't know if anything will completely clear them out. I think I will try a spray with poison and soap next and then alternate with the sulfur when the afternoon thunderstorms stop for a while. It is too expensive the keep dusting only to have it washed off a few hours later. The high humidity and rainfall seem to have no detrimental effect on the spider mite population.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #18
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

B54red- I would like to to rotate also. I have Castille soap as a base, not sure what to add. I have some spinosad but I think it has an oil base, will check. Next year I hope to use neem oil as preventative. This year, like you just trying to keep ahead of the game. LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am going to use soap, pyrethrem, and peppermint oil or clove oil. If the weather were a little cooler I would use a weak mix of dormant oil spray which I have found effective in the past when combined with a pesticide.
Old July 13, 2011   #20
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

b54 and Linda,

Thanks for the updates... good info. I'll be adding sulfur to my mite arsenal.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #21
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well we've had a few days without any rain but the temps are supposedly too high to apply sulfur. There is still a good chance for afternoon thunderstorms every day and on into the next week or so. I guess I'm going to have to use the Malathion spray this afternoon if it doesn't rain. I've had little success with Permethrin, soapy water or Neem oil. I've waited as long as I can and the infestation is really ruining my plants. I don't like using a poison as strong as Malathion but the little buggers are really hard to control this season. I just hope I haven't waited too long.
Old August 15, 2011   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The malathion has done a very good job in cutting down on the spider mite population; but as expected I got some limited leaf damage using it at the strength recommended for spider mites. The plants look so much better now especially the young ones. In this heat the spider mites really take a toll on the plants and it looks like it will remain at least in the mid 90s for the foreseeable future.