Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 31, 2011   #1
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Default The Chipmunk/Squirrel problem

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to get some pointers from folks who have had these problems before and might have had some success solving them. I have a few questions about methods. I know there have been threads on this and it's probably been talked about a billion times before I had a few specific questions.

I had a great garden last year and wanted to carry that luck over to this year. I did however lose some maters and other veggies to critters.

I hate being surprised by bite marks on the prettiest of tomatoes.

If they would just eat the one they first bite into, I wouldn't be mad. I don't like the taste test they do on each variety.

My neighbor has had some chipmunk holes in her frontyard and she usually relocates them to a neighborhood park a mile or so away. I think that helps a bit for a while.
The squirrels have really picked up because the trees in the neighborhood are finally large enough to support a large population of them. Plus, my neighbor accross the streets tells us how she feeds the babies and she is always out waving brooms at the hawks. Goofy!

I think a lot of what I have done has prevented more loss. I've hung CD's all over the place to reflect light.
Pinwheels to make noise and reflect light.
I have an fake owl in the garden.
I've sprayed mint oils that are supposed to drive away pests. They make the garden smell pretty but don't last long and I have seen squirrels go right through the garden after I spray.
I sprinkle powdered fox urine around the perimeter of the garden area.
Done marigolds.....didn't do as many last year but plan to plant many more this year.

More plants are going to be planted within my fenced backyard so I am hoping the presence of my three dogs helps. They are not outdoor dogs though and go in and out throughout the day.

Anyone try fake snakes?
Anyone try the motion sensored owl? I read a ton of mixed reviews online. Mine is just a standard fake owl and is getting pretty weathered.

What kind of luck have you had?
I also grow grapes and want to don't want to lose my harvest on those either. Two years ago, my grapes were devasted within a few days.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I cannot use artillery because I am in a sub division within town limits so I cannot pull out a bazooka and go bezerk. Wife wouldn't be too happy either.

Thanks much!
Brian
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Pick at first blush and let them ripen inside. The tomatoes, that is.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since you are just beginning to have a problem you need to start eliminating the squirrels as soon as possible. Once they start on a garden they seem to escalate the damage they do each year. If you ever let the population around you get out of control it is very hard to ever get them thinned down to a level where their damage is acceptable.
I ignored them early on when they started eating some of my crops in small amounts and I have been paying for it for the last three years with huge loses and sometimes they wipe out whole plantings in a day or so. I have been killing them as much as I can but they seem breed faster than I can shoot them.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2011   #4
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Population pressure (read this as too many squirells) and learned forage style dictate squirrel predation.

Start have-a-heart trapping them (or shooting) now or later. Its up to you. With h-a-h traps you can simply relocate them. I reccomend fried for the latter.
Old February 1, 2011   #5
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I am in a neighborhood now so I can't shoot them... yet I wouldnt mind having squirrel stew.

Know any non-messy, safe (i.e. I dont risk getting rabies) way to put down a squirrel that is in a trap? Or should I just let them go in the greenbelt?

I have given some thought to adopting a feral cat to live in my front garden, but I am pretty sure to boyfriend would take it inside and tame it into a housecat.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #6
cloz
Tomatovillian™

The problem with trapping and re-locating squirrels is that they come back. I know someone who trapped some, painted them so they could be identified and released them a couple of miles away. The painted squirrels returned. I think you will find there are more squirrels living in your area than you realize. When I finally was fed up and started shooting them, I figured there were maybe 8 or 10 squirrels living around my lot. 25 squirrels later I still had several on my property, but the tomato eating stopped. I now remove every squirrel that presents a safe target. It is the only permanent solution if you are infested with squirrels.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Yea they are my biggest pest in the garden. I have tried pepper powder and it did not phase them at all. Someone on here said they grow ghost peppers just to use for this so IDK I might have to give something like that a shot.

I wonder if there is a way to rig up a motion sensor that would fog the garden in pepper gas, (hmmm brain is trying to devise a plan lol )
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #8
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Our sub-division is about 20-25 years old. My house was built 22 years ago. When we moved in 13 years ago, the trees were all very small...not much squirrel action at all.
We are still pretty close to farms and open fields, just about a block away. The area has coyotes and foxes and plenty of hawks. However, the last few years has shown an explosion of the little critters. I had some of the fattest rabbits around last year...I know for a fact they filled up on my basil plants.

However, within city limits, if I pull out the Crossman 760, I'll have a squad out in front of my house in five minutes. Poisons scare the heck out of me with three dogs myself and all surrounding neighbors having dogs.

While having a couple of beers with my buddy last year, he wanted to trap some of our black squirrels and brings them to his neighborhood. They only had brown squirrels. We got every color here! Take your pick! He never followed up on the offer though. Beer talk!

I keep thinking about our neighbor chasing away the hawks to protect the baby squirrels. I told my wife back then that the squirrels are going to be here long after we are gone, they will do just fine.

I had a great crop last year....tons of tomatoes. However, like I said, some got sampled. My concern is what most of you have been saying, it will only get worse.
I work from home from my kitchen and I sit here on the computer and see squirrels traveling back and forth along all the fences surrounding my yard all day long. They also get brave and come up on our deck. This year it seems they didn't even hibernate and it has been a brutal winter.

Ten years ago, a squirrel here and there.
Now, they are everywhere.
That's why I was wandering about the fake snakes, fake owls, fake hawks. I know they have to be moved around often.
I'll do everything I have done in the past and looking to do more.
I don't think I can get away with shooting them though.
Old February 1, 2011   #9
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
I have tried pepper powder and it did not phase them at all. Someone on here said they grow ghost peppers just to use for this so IDK I might have to give something like that a shot.
Yea, I've done the cayenne powder a few years back. I am going to put that back on my list. You can definitely get whiffs of it in the air but the problem is that once it rains or you water, it's ineffective.

And you know, these buggers never do seem to bother the jalapeno, habanero, or the other hot peppers.....WIMPS!
Old February 1, 2011   #10
cloz
Tomatovillian™

My wife makes up a concoction of cayenne pepper raw eggs and I don't know what else that she found on the internet. It doesn't do anything for squirrels but as long as you apply it at least once a week it keeps the deer from devastating our hostas and other flowers. I had not seen a full hosta leaf in years until she started using this concoction. I have to have my garden fenced or the deer will wipe it out. My son left the gate open one afternoon and I looked out to find a big buck chomping on my strawberries and lettuce. (no, he did not have horns in June, but it was a buck)
I used to trellis my cucumbers and pole beans on the fence to save space. The deer thought that was a good idea and ate them all. Everything now has to be inside the fence.
40 years ago, our neighbor had a big male cat who loved to eat squirrels. He kept them completely under control. Took at least one a week. Our cats never bothered the squirrels. The one we have now plays with chipmunks till they have a heart attack. Never eats them or bites them, just plays them to death. Every little bit helps.
Old February 1, 2011   #11
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

A barrel big enough to admit a h-a-h trap filled with water will make moot returning squirrels.
Old February 1, 2011   #12
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Pellet guns are strong enough to take out large birds, should work on squirrels too. Just make sure there is something between your target and your neighbors yard if you aren't a great shot.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #13
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Pellet guns work very well. As you say, safety first. I like shooting from an elevated position at a squirrel that is on the ground. That way a miss or fully penetrating pellet will wind up hitting the ground. Glancing shots on rocks or boulders are not safe. Always be sure of your backstop.
Old February 1, 2011   #14
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

The big box stores carry a product called Repels All and from what I can tell, it is accurately named. Yes, after rains you have to re apply. Still for me in the burbs where shooting isn't an option and the numbers are so great that trapping would be ludicrous, a sprinkle on the ground and they go else where product has saved me. Ingredients seem to be things like garlic, rotten eggs, and other pungent items, but I don't think its poison.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2011   #15
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Be careful if you are relocating trapped critters, as it is against the law in many places. Also, if you are releasing them within a couple of miles, they WILL return. Fencing will control almost everything EXCEPT squirrels. They can jump 6 feet, and can climb almost anything...I have watched one climb an 8 foot galvanized pipe (¾") to get to the bird feeder. The pepper oil I had on the seeds ticked him off so much that he began dismantling the feeder!

Populations will increase if they find ample food. Their breeding is based upon food supply...if food is scarce, they won't breed. If food is plentiful, they breed like rabbits! If you allow them to exist in your garden, their numbers will skyrocket quickly.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote