Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 7, 2012   #1
texasjack
Tomatovillian™

Default Central American Varieties ?

New to Tomatoville so I hope this is the correct Forum..

Are there any varieties that are native, originate and/or common to Central America ? Particulary interested in indeterminates. If so, are any available in US ?

Thanks

Jack

Last edited by texasjack; July 8, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
texasjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/pi_books/scans/pi135.pdf pages 45 -49 shows some of the collection history of many of the tomatoes collected in Central America/South America during 1938. Most of these tomatoes were collected by H. L. Blood of Utah. I picked up dozens of these accessions when they were being grown out for seed increase near Ames, Iowa beginning in the 1950's onward

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...o_acc.pl?52988 shows a more useable site to request some of these old tomatoes.

I rarely maintain seed inventory to disperse from my requests but convert them into complicated hybrids....say an OP of the cross (Guatemala x Panama) x (Peru x Argentina)...however even these have been crossed into even more complicated pedigrees. I collected...by myself..several semi wild tomatoes in Costa Rica when I was there nearly 40 years ago, but I doubt if I saved any viable seed.

The problem I saw with Central American tomatoes is that they were unimproved cultivars...seedy...rough shapes...cherries...possessing only a few disease resistance traits but little else. I must grow out these crosses of yesteryear just to offer viable seed of odd pedigrees.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjack View Post
New to Tomatoville so I hope this is the correct Forum..

Are there any varieties that are native, originate and/or common to Central America ? Particulary interested in indeterminates. If so, are any available in US ?

Thanks

Jack
As Tom alluded to, most of them don't get much bigger than a grape.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

I looked my Guatemala tomato history....hmmm...PI 112835 collected 1935 in Huehuetenango. I have this one in many pedigrees and some are direct maternal progenies. It made me think of posters like the one below.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #5
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Here is one I've grown a few times ...... very prolific

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Tegucigalpa
Old July 11, 2012   #6
texasjack
Tomatovillian™

To: Tom Wagner,Feldon30 and PNW D

Thanks so much for your replies. Collectively you have opened a whole new diminsion to my tomato hobby/obsession. My right brain grows old heirlooms because I'm trying to recapture a childhood memory, but my left brain compels me into the science and challenge of doing the less ordinary. Since your replies I've spent hours reading on the USDA site.

A special thanks for leading me to the SETTfest site and the very regional focus on my little slice of the world.

Tom: By coincidence I know someone who does assistance work to the Maya in Guatemala and knows the Juan Diego described in the article. I may receive seeds from there in the Fall.

Thanks Again

Jack
texasjack is offline   Reply With Quote