Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 28, 2013   #61
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful Tania

here is my harvest at our volunteer garden this am - Renee's tricolour bush bean mix along with some dill and parsley

as for the eggplant - I have no idea other than it is so hot at my community garden plot - full sun all day long - and lots of bees visiting my cerinthe major plants if that makes a difference

also - thank you for saving Roger's Sweet Light Yellow - just an amazing tomato machine - and lovely plant size - as soon as they are ripe I'll post a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 07 28 toms and SPEC garden 043.jpg (338.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 07 07 100.jpg (230.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by PNW_D; July 28, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #62
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Default The harvest this week so far!

This weeks harvest!

I am trying some new-to-me varieties this year I have not grown before. Some success and some...learning experiences.

Some good one's for me this year that I will defiantly be planting again next year :

Lola F1 - This has been a good one for the greenhouse, containers, and raised beds. Large apple-like nearly perfect round fruit, good taste. Productive plants. A little thick skinned and seedy, but a good all around tomato.

Tiffen Mennonite - This one has been a pleasant surprise. A very meaty beefsteak like tomato. Few seeds, sweet with low acidity. Big plus - this was suppose to be an 80 day tomato, but it came in really early for me. I had ripe ones in mid July. Plants are not hugely productive, but better than many other beefsteak types. Good in containers and raised beds. Didn't like the greenhouse too much.

Moscovich - this is a Russian heirloom. Nice taste, earlier tomato. Relatively compact plants. Bright orange fruit with green shoulders. Nice tomato taste, a little seedy. Good in containers.

Suzanne Cherry F1 - Extremely productive. Good in containers, greenhouse, and ground. Nice large grape like clusters. Larger sized with relatively moderate number of seeds. Not super sweet, but good tomato taste. Crack resistant. Does not drop ripe fruit. A little thick skinned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg harvest2_0801.jpg (409.8 KB, 27 views)
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #63
Tania
Tomatovillian™

D.,

Thank YOU for the Roger's seeds! They are lovely tomatoes.

Your beans are so good looking! Your picture made me go to the garden earlier today and pick some of mine - Kentucky Wonder and Garafal Oro. They were lovely tasting, I especially love Garafal Oro.

Benn, your harvest is so lovely! I love Moskvich (a.k.a. Moskovich) tomato also.

It has been a very interesting season so far. I also have many later season varieties ripening at the same time with the early ones, or even earlier. For example, Tsar-Kolokol, Siniy, Costoluto Fiorentino, Mr.Hart Pink ripened before Bloody Butcher and Moravsky Div, same time as SunSugar F1! Strange, but I like it this way

Belarus Early (Orange-1) 2013-07-24 (2).jpg Detskiy Smak 2013-07-24 (2).jpg Mr. Hart Pink 2013-07-24 (5).jpg Detskiy Smak 2013-07-24 (4).jpg Super Precoce Marmande 2013-07-23 (2).jpg Tocan 2013-07-24 (2).jpg Svart 2013-07-24 (4).JPG Aztec 2013-07-22 (3).JPG Condine Red 2013-07-21.jpg Lagidnyi 2013-07-21 (2).jpg Knopka 2013-07-22 (2).jpg Kopiye Indeytsa 2013-07-22.JPG Pecherskie 289 - 2013-07-22 (3).JPG Delicious 51 2013-07-22.JPG Sigaretta de Bergamo 2013-07-22.jpg Siniy (QUE AN N) 2013-07-22 (7).jpg Tolli's Sweet Italian 2013-07-22.jpg Triumphant - 2013-07-22.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alla's Yellow 2013-07-21 (2).jpg (166.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Bel Early (Orange-1) 2013-07-23 (4).jpg (251.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Chagbka 2013-07-23.JPG (196.6 KB, 20 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #64
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Today's tomato salad pick -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00044-003.jpg (426.6 KB, 35 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 2, 2013   #65
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful looking fruits. Delicious is a melon, is't it?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #66
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Ella,

Yes, Delicious 51 is a melon that is doing amazingly well here this summer. I can't wait to taste it, I hope we'll get a ripe one soon. Ther one on the picture is still in a 'baby' stage, it did not acquire the final shape/skin color yet.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; August 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old August 2, 2013   #67
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I haven't been looking at this thread b'c I thought it was just for the PNW folks, but I see others are also viewing it and commenting on it as well.

Tania,I do have a few questions about some that you showed pictures of but those will just have to wait until this and thatother stuff is done as well as going back to page one and looking at ALL the posts.

Carolyn
Old August 2, 2013   #68
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, good to see you here! This thread is for PNW folks, but we always have members from other challenging areas to post here too. As you know, our PNW climate cannot be called 'tomato-friendly'

And of course everybody's comments are welcome!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 3, 2013   #69
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Tania, just out of curiosity, when is your average last frost date of spring, and the first average frost date of fall? And, on average, how many really warm growing days do you get each year? Also, do you have a greenhouse to extend your season?

Thanks,

Don
Old August 3, 2013   #70
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Don,

Our average last frost is April 4, but this year we had a hard freeze on April 30.
Average first frost is first week of October. However the first frost is irrelevant, as late blight kills our tomatoes much earlier.

I am not sure what you mean under 'really warm growing days'. Our highest average daytime temp is 22C (or 72F) in July. (Highest night time temp is 12C (54F)). We have cold frames to grow seedlings.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 3, 2013   #71
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Tania, I am new to bagging blossoms and could use some instruction from a pro.
Do you make your own bags, and when exactly do you bag the blossoms, what stage of blossom maturity?
The more detailed the better, as I am very anal retentive.

Thank you,

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #72
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I am sorry, I cannot give you a detailed answer to your question, as we do not bag blossoms. It is not practical to do on our scale, and actually not necessary due to very low pollinator activity in our tomato growing area.

Bees have plenty of other flowers to get busy with - we have clover, lophantus, blooming kale, onions, and many flowering herbs close by. I actually have problems with cucumber fruit set because our cuke's GH is behind tomato beds, and it is also gets ignored by the bees up until this time of summer.

Still no fruit set on eggplants!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 3, 2013   #73
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Marsha, I am sorry, I cannot give you a detailed answer to your question, as we do not bag blossoms. It is not practical to do on our scale, and actually not necessary due to very low pollinator activity in our tomato growing area.

Bees have plenty of other flowers to get busy with - we have clover, lophantus, blooming kale, onions, and many flowering herbs close by. I actually have problems with cucumber fruit set because our cuke's GH is behind tomato beds, and it is also gets ignored by the bees up until this time of summer.

Still no fruit set on eggplants!
Tania, thank you for this surprising answer. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I am going to start a new one on bagging.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2013   #74
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

Can you think about bagging 100,000 blossoms? For some reason I cannot.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old August 4, 2013   #75
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Cayenne pepper plants are loaded with so many peppers - but nothing ripe yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweet Cayenne 2013-07-24 (2).jpg (267.8 KB, 24 views)

Tatiana's TOMATObase