Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2018   #1
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Default What is this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Have they been very wet?
Best case scenario some root rot from too much water which is recoverable.
Prune out all discoloured foliage, allow to dry reasonably between watering and fertilize regularly
Worst case scenario a systemic vascular disease such as verticillium wilt.
Cut off a diseased branch and look for a brown ring inside.
If there is one the plant is not salvageable and will rapidly succumb. Pull it and bag it immediately Along with any others showing symptoms.
I hope it is just over wet.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #3
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I suspect the worst as it hasn’t been particularly wet of late. We did have a fairly wet spring, but the past several weeks have been hot and dry with one passing storm. I’ll check a stem. Thanks again🐝

Old June 20, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Some mildews manifest as yellowing leaves, but they don't wilt like that iirc. I just mention it because I see green leaves in behind them, and this is how it can show up if the mildew spores are blowing in from one direction, landing on leaves in front. This type of fungus doesn't need actual wet leaves, heat and humidity are the conditions that it requires. If you see a directional pattern across the front (exposed) side of a number of plants where the wind is blowing, consider a directional source of mildew.
However I don't recall the leaves actually wilting. I may have picked them off before they did..
In any case, KarenO's advice is sound. Take away the bad leaves, and give the plant a little time. I have never seen the fusarium, verticillium or bacterial wilt only in pictures, but as I understand it the plant has little time to live in that case.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like the early stage symptoms of fusarium wilt but lets hope not. I have dealt with it my whole lifetime of gardening and it can be frustrating. It will take down some plants fast and not even bother others sometimes. It can also be a slow acting killer with some varieties and they can hang on and produce for a long time despite the fusarium. If you have one stem that is particularly affected like that it sometimes helps to just cut that stem off right at the juncture to the main stem. I now graft all my heirlooms onto a fusarium resistant root stock because my soil is so infested with the stuff that few plants can survive long enough to produce ripe fruit except some of those tasteless super hybrids that provide those wonderful pink things they call tomatoes in the grocery store.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #6
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

It did take one plant nearly completely except for the top. It resembled a trimmed poodles tail - bare with a poof at top. I pulled that plant and trimmed any other plant that had any thing resembling. Only 2 others seemed similarly affected but nowhere near the extent.

Old June 29, 2018   #7
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Default What is this??

Fast forward to now. I don’t know. A wilt of some type maybe. Strange though it’s only effecting one type tomato. Delicious to be exact. They are not side by side either and those plants that are beside are fine

Old June 29, 2018   #8
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Is it only one plant or more of the same variety? If it's just one maybe someone ate the roots or similar. The other ones look ridiculously healthy.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #9
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Is it only one plant or more of the same variety? If it's just one maybe someone ate the roots or similar. The other ones look ridiculously healthy.

It’s all the plants of one variety. I planted (4) Delicious and have pulled three of them . The one shown is the last one of the group.

Old July 4, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is fusarium wilt. The other varieties may be more resistant than Delicious which I was unable to grow successfully until I started grafting. Some of the heirlooms and open pollinated varieties are especially susceptible to fusarium wilt and others are less affected. Luckily you live far enough north that your colder winters should keep it in check unlike down here where winter is rarely cold enough to slow down fusarium so it gets worse from year to year. This area used to be famous for growing some great tomatoes but over time the fusarium problems got worse and worse causing commercial growers to resort to ever more resistant hybrids until now they grow the same things you see in the supermarkets.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote