Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 4, 2006   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default Medium Heat ?

My lovely wife loves her salsa as i know a bunch of people do what i need to know is what pepper would you grow to make a medium hot salsa? Hers are way to hot for the kids or she makes it wimpy for the kids and then we don't like it! I'm looking for a happy median so that young and old alike can eat it
Old September 4, 2006   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'd try Garden Salsa, not quite as hot as Jalapeno. As you cook the salsa add a little pepper at the time until you get the right hottness.

Here's the best salsa recipe I've ever come across and I make lots every year. Annie posts on the Cooking forum at GW.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/cooking/#search

ANNIE’S SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 ½ cups chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped green pepper
3 – 5 chopped jalapenos [hot peppers to taste]
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2006   #3
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

That is an excellent question!! I like the hot stuff as well as the 15 alarm, napalm hot stuff. My wife, most other family members and a bunch of friends don't share my sentiments. Darn they need to toughen up...LOL...just kidding. I know exactly what you're saying though. Here are a couple cultivars that may be of interest to you. O... BTW Earl think I'll give that recipe a try tomorrow. Can already see or taste that its a winner. OK enough of that I'm getting hungry!!

Mariachi F1 is a good one. Moderate size, sturdy plants and very productive. Heat level is below Jalapeno but still provides a definite "bite" to it. Fruits are good size maybe 4" long by 2" wide, blemish free and nice and pretty. Red when truly ripe I suppose, but can be happily eaten when yellow or orange. Was 60 or so days from transplant to first harvests here in S.Minnesota this season. Lot of seed companies stock it such as Burpee, Johnny's (I think??), Totally Tomatoes, etc. I'm hardly an authority but I'll grow this one again next year.

Santa Fe Grande is another "not-so-hot" goodie. Believe that the aforementioned Mariachi hybrid is an improved version of this great OP'ed variety. Mariachi's fruits in all honesty were larger and prettier than the SFG pepper but not necessarily more productive. At least for me anyway. Great all around pepper. If you need some seeds send me a message. Numex Big Jim is another good mild/med hot pepper cultivar. Fruits get real long, thick walled and are lots of fun to grow!!

There are undoubtedly other great cultivars that meet your needs out there. These are the three that I have experience with anyway. Good luck and send this amigo some salsa!! Take er easy.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2006   #4
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

I canned salsa for the first time and used the recipe for Annie's Salsa. It was soooo delicious. I canned 12 pints and we are already done to 8, so I'm hoping I'll get enough ripe tomatoes to make another double batch. We (me and the kids-not hubby) like a mild salsa, so I used 3 jalapenos for the double batch plus a couple of smaller Anahiems from my garden and it was perfect for us---it had a kick to it, but not too much heat. I also used sweet peppers from my garden---yellow bell, sweet banana, and some green/almost red bell peppers. It turned out great and looks fabulous too with all of the colors.
I have to add that that was my first time canning since I helped my Mom as a child---I think I am hooked now.

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #5
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Well, now I'm excited as I am growing Garden Salsa, Mariachi F1 and Anaheim along with Nu Mex Big Jim and Cherrapeno. I will try that recipe Earl , it looks gooood.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I have Anaheim and New Mex Big Jim.
Hey, I think I got them for you. Lol.
Found out New Mex Big Jim has the world record for the world's biggest pepper. Stuff a whole pig inside. Can't wait.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2006   #7
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Didn't realise they were that big. Sounds like they will be fun to grow eh.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Here is an old Mexican trick. Make your salsa with mild to medium heat flavorful peppers. Divide the batch (enough for those who like it mild and those who like it hot). Then add ground chile de arbol to make a spicy batch. Mix it in until you get the desired heat.

The last few months, I have been making salsa with mild Italian frying peppers (giant anaconda, jimmy nardello, etc). For every 3-4+/- sweet frying pepper, I add in 1 jalapeno. This seem to make a mildly flavorful salsa. I make this salsa in the broiler with garlic, torpedo onions, chopped (in large chunks) tomatoes, tomatillos and the peppers. Before I ad the mix to the oven, I put the veggies in a large ziplock bag and coat with oil, fresh cracked pepper and smoked salt. Once the veggies are ready to take out of the broiler, I let them cool slightly. Then, I pulse (just a little) them in the food processor with a combination of cumin, Mexican oregano and more pepper/smoked salt. This is quite a mildly flavorful salsa and it's quite chunky too. With this salsa, I also add ground chile de arbol to half a batch depending on my company.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Like Angelique, I use whatever peppers are at hand and find using several different types creates great flavor. I used to put up many pints of what I called 5 pepper salsa, and it was fairly mild. Now , due to the tender nature of my childrens palate, I can mild salsa and freeze extra diced fresno chilies. When I serve it to adults I mix in the frozen chilies...I may try to add some chile powder like Angelique....I have never used any tomato sauce or paste in my salsa, as the tomatoes break down and make just the right amount of sauce...but my version of canned salsa is more like a fresh salsa.
I think Alma Paprika would make a nice pepper for mild salsa. Thick, crunchy, and just a hint of warmth...
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2006   #10
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique
The last few months, I have been making salsa with mild Italian frying peppers (giant anaconda, jimmy nardello, etc).
You do have to be careful making salsa from giant anaconda. They have the tendency to squeeze the life outta ya. :wink:

Your method for making salsa does sound great.
Old October 12, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

LOL. It should have been Giant Aconcagua :wink:
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote