Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 16, 2011   #16
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Update - I finally erected the greenhouse. One thing I want to mention is extra reinforcement is definitely recommended, and to do it properly does take some significant time and patience.

All of the below reinforcement/modification instructions were followed, in addition to adding some more cross braces inside.

http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/0...t-link-it.html

Here are some pictures taken in Feb:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/...en/greenhouse/
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #17
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Your greenhouse looks great Suze. We have still snow on the ground where mine should be built. I have also been reading the reinforcement instructions and will definately do all of them, so that the thing will hold up in wind and snow.

Sari
Old April 17, 2011   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I can testify to it being a solid greenhouse that looks quite sharp, once the various modifications have been done to it. I predict ripe Brandywines in February next year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #19
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looks wonderful, Suze! Must have been like putting together a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. Thank goodness for all the input from previous buyers on their construction tips. I'm still mighty tempted to get one. Just a bit leary of all the needed adjustments because my preferred site is totally exposed to E and NE winds which can get extremely strong here during summer thunderstorms when the wind sweeps unimpeded across open water. Also, since we are gone during a couple of the winter months, I am concerned about snow load.

Now we have to wait and see how long it takes Mischka to get his HFGH up! I'm betting Svalli gets hers up first!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #20
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Sue the greenhouse looks great.

I have two of them. With the proper modifications they are great. The only problem we've had with them is during the first winter we forgot to secure the vents and they ended up in the neighbour's yard after a wind storm. They were easy to reattach.

For Canadians Harbor Freight doesn't ship to us but it's not a big deal to cross border shop. There isn't any customs or duty on them so it really does make them a good deal.
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #21
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Suze your GH looks good.And plenty of room for everything.How many plants do you think you can get in that size GH? I could see me getting all my veggie starts and flower starts in that size.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2011   #22
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Update - I finally erected the greenhouse. One thing I want to mention is extra reinforcement is definitely recommended, and to do it properly does take some significant time and patience.

All of the below reinforcement/modification instructions were followed, in addition to adding some more cross braces inside.

http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/2007/0...t-link-it.html

Here are some pictures taken in Feb:

http://www.feldoncentral.com/garden/...en/greenhouse/
Awesome Suze.

I looked at the price and it is now $799.00.
Old April 18, 2011   #23
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
Awesome Suze.

I looked at the price and it is now $799.00.
If there's a Harbor Freight retail store near you, they often run a 20% off coupon for any one item in the local Sunday paper coupon section. There's also an ad in lots of the TV Guide issues, if you check the newsstand.

If you can't find a coupon and wish to buy one, I have an extra one I can mail you if you PM your address.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #24
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
If there's a Harbor Freight retail store near you, they often run a 20% off coupon for any one item in the local Sunday paper coupon section. There's also an ad in lots of the TV Guide issues, if you check the newsstand.

If you can't find a coupon and wish to buy one, I have an extra one I can mail you if you PM your address.
Thanks Mischka, I will check the Sunday paper and see ....

Terry
Old July 19, 2011   #25
hillbillyBob
Tomatovillian™

yep I got one as well took a little longer to put it together, warning you'll need the auto vent openers and a fan they get hot quick,it worked great for starting my plants this year too
hillbillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #26
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyBob View Post
yep I got one as well took a little longer to put it together, warning you'll need the auto vent openers and a fan they get hot quick,it worked great for starting my plants this year too
Auto vent openers? Bob - could you give me a link, source or further info on that, please?

Not using the greenhouse lately for anything because it is just blazing hot here but would like to get something like that in place. This spring when I was using the greenhouse, we used a stepstool to open and close the vents, and it was a bit of a pain.
Old July 23, 2011   #27
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

This is the one I had on my greenhouse, before the hurricanes blew it away, twice. http://www.gardeners.com/Automatic-V...efault,cp.html

I suspect you could find it cheaper, maybe try http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/c...keyword=opener
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #28
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Keith - appreciate it.
Old July 23, 2011   #29
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Thanks for the info Keith - appreciate it.
Just noticed, looks like Harbor Freight has one for $39.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/greenho...ner-92192.html
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #30
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have two of those vent openers from HF and they have worked well so far. The windows are so high that it would be a pain to operate them manually.

I'm wondering if we should take them off for the winter and bring indoors in case freezing weather could break them.

Sari