Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 29, 2013   #1
durable_now
Tomatovillian™

Default Fertilizer

I have been using MG 15-30-15 fert in my containers but now I'm out & CAN NOT find this ratio anywhere.I have checked Wall-Mar,Home Depot & Lowes & all they have is a ratio of 24-8-16 & I think the p is to much so is there a substuit ? Thanks
durable_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #2
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

QVC just had some on by cottage farms that was 15-30-15.

Cottage Farms Bud 'N Flower Booster Fertilizer Packs for $35
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #3
awsumth
Tomatovillian™

I have used MG All Purpose 24-8-16 with no problems. If you want a higher P count, then try MG Rose Fertilizer, which is 18-24-16, but I really do think higher P fertilizers don't do anything better than the all purpose types. Tomatoes grow foliage first before they make flowers. The healthier the foliage the better the plant to use the sun's energy to make fruit.
awsumth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

DH saw this thread this morning, but he isn't a "poster". I finally found the thread so here is what he wanted me to post for you. --

You can mix your own formula how ever you want with some of the following items --
MAP - 10-50-0
Sulfate of Potash - 0-0-50
Murate of Potash - 0-0-62
Urea - 46-0-0
Calcium Nitrate - 21-0-0

These are all soluble and should be available at any "farm store" or elevator.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2013   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I've come across a few that have worked well for me. If you want to go the liquid fert route General Hydroponics Flora Nova is a good choice.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/i...s/nova_series/

Another I have found and have been getting excellent results is Xtreme Gardening "Feeder Packs". Come in two flavors "Organic" 8-4-4 and "General Purpose" 12-10-10 and all you have to do is drop 2 or 3 packs in the planting hole, drop in your seedling and cover with aggregate.

http://www.extremepumpkinstore.com/e...feederpak.html
Old January 29, 2013   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried the bat guano bloom fertilizer?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I was at Home Depot today and saw some Vigero fert that was 15-30-15
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #8
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Have you looked at any farm stores or farm coops in your area? Southern States Coop usually carries it in our area or at least they have in previous years.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2013   #9
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered mixing your own? I remix to the ratio I want as I not only have my own ideas as to what the ratio is I want, I also change formulation as the season progresses to match the changing needs of the plants from growing and rooting to disease resistance and fruiting. I'm a firm believer in jacking up to P to prevent late season diseases and stresses, and have never been sorry that I went this way. Too time consuming? For most people who have lives...probably...lol. However I have lots of time on my hands as I work mostly from my home and take care of (raising actually) my handicapped grandson who LOVES gardening with me and occupies much of my time(not that I mind..its a very rewarding experience). But if YOU too have the time(for whatever reason), I've found great results with this mad scientist (2 parts this/3parts that/ 1 part another thing) method. Just a thought, and observation, AND MY VERY FIRST REAL POST! YAy. Hope someone finds it at least a little helpful. W.

Last edited by Wayne C; February 1, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2013   #10
lonelylib81
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to this so I'm not too sure. It sounds like your nitrogen is too high. I've been using fertilzer called "Dynamite" and that is 8-5-5. My tomatoes are freakin huge.
lonelylib81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2013   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Wayne C - Welcome to T-Ville. Sounds like your Grandson is in good (gardeners) hands! When you say you mix ferts to your specifications, how? What products do you buy/use? Thanks.
Old February 12, 2013   #12
Papa Jim
Tomatovillian™

The last two years I used Foliage Pro 9-3-6 with good luck, but this year I'm trying 7-9-5 to see if I can get more tomatoes and less foliage.
Papa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #13
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Papa Jim - I use that 7-9-5 product if its from DynaGrow. Early in the season I use heavy N ferts but later on not as much.
Old February 12, 2013   #14
Wayne C
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Wayne C - Welcome to T-Ville. Sounds like your Grandson is in good (gardeners) hands! When you say you mix ferts to your specifications, how? What products do you buy/use? Thanks.
First... sorry Sun City for taking so long to get back to you. Been away. But anyway... I have tried everything I possibly could over the years, frequently experimenting with small lots set all over the yard every year. So with that said I personally prefer to use Neptunes Harvest products as of right now. Their straight up FISH emulsion4-1-1/Fish and seaweed 2-3-1 / and crab shell 2-3-0 are my favorites. I also currently use maxicrop kelp 1-0-4 which I've been very happy with and mix into the Neptunes to balance and bring up potasium levels . Mixing different ammounts I change the ratios (NKP) and strength. The neptune products can be mixed stronger because they dont tend to burn. This is my foliar and seed starter.
I am also using Doctor Earth Tomatio 5-7-3 this year (as others have said good things but I havent had any previous experience with this ) using as soil enrichment/additive for basic soil) This is the complete one with elements minerals and all the basic soil ammendments and soil microbes, not the basic fertilizer.
I also use the neptunes Crab SHell 2-3-0 in all my soils. I love the levels of calcium it adds to the basic soil mix and seems to disolve very slowly and evenly. This is my "soil enhancement".
I personally believe (from observation and personal experience) that good quality fertilizers in smaller concentrations/ratios seem to be far more effective than higher concentrations/ratios 10-10-10 15-15-15 (or even stronger) of chemical products that dont seem to get picked up and used as well by the plants... Do others find this to be true...? Better ingredients get used way more efficiently? So high ratios arent required? I noticed that some people used very strong mixes. Do these people use less? One thing I've never done is go high ratio. Never found it necessary. Just curious...

Last edited by Wayne C; February 12, 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Left important info out...
Wayne C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Wayne but no, I dont agree. I grow in containers, actually Earthboxes and while I certainly agree that it is possible to get good results with organic ferts in containers, I find it much easier and economical to get a good crop using mostly synthetics. I have switched over to a blended synthetic 10-10-10 by Lily Miller this year after several lack luster years of using TomatoTone supplemented by other stuff. Lots and lots of other stuff.

Hands down organics when you are growing in actual dirt though!