Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 25, 2006   #1
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Default harvest

I dug up most of the potatoes still in groud yesterday. I grow them mainly for eating fresh during the summer, so there was not much left for storage.

From top to bottom and left to right these are: Peruvian Purple, Yellow Finn,
90P21, All Red, All Blue and Rose Fin Apple.

Our soil must not be right acidity or properly fertilized for potatoes, since the tubers stay quite small. Or maybe I have not found the right variety for the area.

Peruvian Purple seemes to need long growing season, since some of them had still green stems. The tubers stayed quite small, and were difficult to find in the soil due to the dark color. I'm not sure, if I want to grow them in the future. It just sounded like exiting variety to try, since we like the All Blue.
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2006   #2
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Maybe next year you can use a lighter garden soil color, I understand that tan is the new black for soil

It looks like a nice harvest there, how are you gonna eat all those potatoes? How do you plant to allow for eating fresh through the summer? Staggered planting?

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote