Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 23, 2007   #1
chanceysmama
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone have Grapevines????

I have a couple different questions, First of all our grapevines have been having problems and just starting to come out of it and now the biggest leaves are turning a rust color and drying up, I had read something about this before but dont have the time to research it right now so I thought I'd turn to you fellow gardeners who seem to be so smart . Also can you trim starts off of the other established vines and just plant directly in the ground? I have read before " dont put them in a glass of water like your traditional houseplants when you are trying to get them to root.
chanceysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2007   #2
redbrick
Tomatovillian™

I can't answer your question about rusty leaves, but I can help your with the other question.

My vines are started from dormant, or hardwood, cuttings. When you prune your vines, save some nice straight cuttings about a foot or so long and pencil thick. Make sure they have four or five buds each, and are from the middle of a vine, not the very tip. The middle buds are usually in the best condition, most fully developed. Make sure you label which end is up, because they won't develop upside down!

Plant them where you want the new vine to be. You want only one bud to stick up out of the ground. I set mine out in very early spring, though, I'm sure late fall would work as well, though you probably need to protect them from mice.

If you have to store the cuttings before you can plant them, wrap them in newsprint, plactic bag them loosely, and wet them down before storing them in a fridge. Don't keep apples with them, as apples give off Xylene gase, which will hurt the buds. Oh, and make sure you label the bag(s) especially if you have more than one variety!

I've never tried the next trick, but it's supposed to work: tip-layering. Pin the tip of a growing vine into a nursery pot full of soil about mid season and forget about it until fall, and it should root on its own. Remember, I haven't tried this myself yet, but it's supposed to work.
Old July 24, 2007   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Chanceysmama, check out the link below in the farming section, good stuuf on grapes. Ami
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/exhibitlinks.htm
Old July 27, 2007   #4
Husbear
Tomatovillian™

Chanceysmama,
I have found with my grape vines that the sections of vines which are turning to "hardwood" ( the thicker green vines turning to mature brown vines) drop the leaves. First the leaves on these sections dry at the edges, then turn rust with yellow, then they dry up and fall off. This normally happens as the Houston heat is hitting. About 4 to 4.5 months after they come out of their winter dormant state. If this helps, I have found for myself, it a normal process of the first year growth preparing for second year fruit support.
Old July 28, 2007   #5
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default To root grape vine

Take arm of a vine that will reach ground plus4ft. dig trench 4in. deep 12in long place arm in trench (Do not cut--leave attached to vine) cover with dirt pack and water--cover with brick-board-or block(anything with weight)--Leave all summer and winter--Cut from vine at frist new root and plant. ferterlize 3 times during summer. will bare fruit hext year
Good Luck Bill