Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 27, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Cell phone malfunction.

Last edited by Worth1; April 27, 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It's just a matter of me starting on phase 2 of my irrigation system the back of the place.
Not looking forward to digging more ditches.
I had a hose running to tbe stuff on a timer I will hook it back up when it stops raining.
Last year with other things going on I just didn't care.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #18
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Yea don't feel bad, I'm guilty of the same .. Have a couple more trenches to dig.. at least they're shallower than the rhizome barriers haha .. The glass IS half full for sure lol
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My place is like digging in a dry rocky river bed with tree roots.

Two summers ago I laid almost 1200 feet of pipe 18 inches under the ground by myself.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #20
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
My place is like digging in a dry rocky river bed with tree roots.

Two summers ago I laid almost 1200 feet of pipe 18 inches under the ground by myself.

Worth
Sorry to hear that! My brother can feel your pain.. He lives a few towns over in a slightly more rural setting and was cursed with the poor fortune of rocky dennnnse clay.. He'd have better luck making teapots than growing veggies lol.. I'm in the process of helping him improve it .. Lots of compost, greensand, organic mulch.. Probably do a rye/vetch cover crop in the fall..

Didn't see the pic of the Golden Goddess on the pc earlier .. Beautiful screen!
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2015   #21
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Tracy, ya know I haven't tried any shoots just yet.. of course my varieties aren't well noted for their flavor.. Which are you growing, edulis?

Salsa and Paul, thank ya! I wanted to be sure the rhizomes didn't wedge between the sections and pop them apart, so I spared no expense lol .. I'll be building another one this year and then I'll finally get around to stain and polyurethane.

Worth, yes I failed to bring up clumping bamboo, while I have some "Blue Fountain" in the backyard, I'm more into the runners for their quick screening ability and decorative culms. I plan on building a nice trellis system in the hoop house once I have enough dried culms put aside.
Some clumping varieties (like Fargesia Scabrida) are beautiful, but the problem is their need for afternoon shade - It's hard to come by in my yard lol.. Not to mention my little beagle that just seems to love chewing on the culms! I could kill him haha
No idea which kind. I have a very old batch that came with the property. I really find it useful,beautiful and delicious!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #22
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Bamboo is a grass there are clumping grasses and runner grasses.

You would love the Golden Goddess bamboo.
It is a clumper it wont ever get out of control and stays in a clump about 3 feet wide.

Plant it about 3 to 4 feet apart and you will have a solid screen my house is behind that bamboo I am in my neighbors yard.

It was started 6 feet apart.

Worth
Thanks for the info Worth! Now that is a nice privacy fence!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote