Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 14, 2008   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default A few flower pics..Cardoon ect.

Just a few pics from around the house as it's getting crazy out there. But a good crazy.
Two things, 1- Look who's on my Cardoon !!

2- The plant with the dark maroon foliage is ???? I'm guessing it's a type of Coleus. It somehow poppped up in my moms garden a long time ago and spread like wild fire by re-seeding itself. When I moved down to NC, one of the potted plants I brought had some in it and boom, it's off and running. It's a REALLY dark purple plant that turns towards maroon, then has a small hint of green. Small flower spikes with a light purple petals that produce tiny black seeds. Pretty neat plant. Easily controled by pulling.

Greg

012.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

016.jpg

024.jpg

003.jpg

010.jpg

014.jpg

013.JPG
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2008   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Greg, I believe your plant with the dark maroon foliage may be purple Perillo (also known as wild coleus...). Google it, and see if it matches. If so, it is quite edible and vitamin rich.

Lovely pictures, it will be at least another month before we see such beauties up here. Thanks for posting.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2008   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Salix--it looks just like the Aka Shiso (Red Shiso), which is a perilla, that I got from Kitazawa Seeds. Check it here:
http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_034-170.html
Old July 29, 2008   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm going to agree with you. The link said it was 'aromatic' and indeed it is when you ruffle it up. Strong smell that takes over the area. Seems to like it here in NC too. I love it for the color. Stays that color all year until seeding time. It works well with the Russian Sage and Black Eyed Susan along my walk way.
I brought a few plant down when I moved and when it went to seed, I just crushed them in my hand and BOOM, they took off. I won't have to worry about spreading seed anymore as it runs rampid but is easy to maintain.
Eating it? Hmm..maybe. I'll look into that.

Greg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote