Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2015   #1
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Default Let's talk about Brandywines

I know they have been talked about to death. I know lots of people debate the 'real' Brandywine, or what to call the various colours. But despite being one of the originally popular 'heirlooms', I see it on very very few growlists.

What I really want to know is...

Should I grow it? I have seen DTM's range from 78-120 days. That's a BIG range. I have a relatively short season. I only have room for about 8 full-sizes tomatoes, and I prefer blacks to reds. According to my husband I have to grow 'one plant that makes tomatoes that look like tomatoes'. so. Should I give Brandywine a try this year or pass it up?

I grew Marianna's Peace last year and liked the flavour enough.
Are Brandywine's the 'true tomato'? Are they worth trying at least one year? Are they very fussy? Can I grow them in south western ontario?
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

They certainly are good tomatoes. My problem has always been low yield. I grafted them on to a hybrid rootstock the year before last, and that helped the yield.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #3
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
They certainly are good tomatoes. My problem has always been low yield. I grafted them on to a hybrid rootstock the year before last, and that helped the yield.
I haven't thought about grafting... there are brandywine plants sold by bonnies at every corner hardware store around here. I think because of that I always thought of them as 'inferior'. I certainly can't say my yeild was great last year on the large tomatoes. Some plants are 8 feet high, and I only got 5-6 tomatoes before frost!!

Last edited by LindyAdele; February 4, 2015 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling :{
Old February 4, 2015   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
I know they have been talked about to death. I know lots of people debate the 'real' Brandywine, or what to call the various colours. But despite being one of the originally popular 'heirlooms', I see it on very very few growlists.

What I really want to know is...

Should I grow it? I have seen DTM's range from 78-120 days. That's a BIG range. I have a relatively short season. I only have room for about 8 full-sizes tomatoes, and I prefer blacks to reds. According to my husband I have to grow 'one plant that makes tomatoes that look like tomatoes'. so. Should I give Brandywine a try this year or pass it up?

I grew Marianna's Peace last year and liked the flavour enough.
Are Brandywine's the 'true tomato'? Are they worth trying at least one year? Are they very fussy? Can I grow them in south western ontario?
I'll only post about Brandywine Sudduth, as some of the Pink Brandywines that I've trialed are not Brandywine Sudduth.

It's a VERY fussy tomato in my garden, that only has peak flavor about 1 in 5 years, 3 of 5 years it is very good, and 1 in 5 years is poor. In a good growing year it is 73 DTM for me, probably about 78 DTM on average. About 99% of all beefsteak varieties that I've trialed fall between 70 and 79 DTM in the best conditions. If something weird happens to a plant in my garden, I won't get any ripe ones until about 120 days, with virtually nothing between about 80 and 119 days.

The flavor in that 1 in 5 years is worth it, as it is the most intensely flavored tomato (of the ones where I like the flavor) in my garden.

Last edited by Tormato; February 4, 2015 at 01:15 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #5
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Maybe try Sudduth or OTV Brandywine. Produced a LITTLE more but not even close to being a top producer. I consider them a 'treat' when they ripen! Lol

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I began growing Stump of the World in its place, more tomatoes and they are also excellent. Others might have better suggestions.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #7
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I got Sudduth's in my MMMM envelope. I think maybe I should try them once, just to see what all the fuss is about. But then select an earlier, more productive red... I'm thinking Stupice or Thessaloniki
Old February 4, 2015   #8
Alan&Jayne
Tomatovillian™

I`m trying for the first time Brandywine Red Landis Valley which, according to Tomato Growers Supply, is a "regular" shaped tomato, compared to the larger ribbed Brandywine Reds.
Alan&Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Lindy, If you can grow Marianna's peace you can grow Cowlicks Pink Brandywine. Once you try it you will never look back. If you can't find any seeds PM me and I will send you some.

Ami
Old February 4, 2015   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan&Jayne View Post
I`m trying for the first time Brandywine Red Landis Valley
me too.

I am also trying Yellow Brandywine, Platfoot Strain, for the first time. I have grown the non-platfoot yellow brandywine before. It was the sweetest tomato I had that year, but the plant only set a few fruit, and they were very ugly and irregular.

I order plain old "Brandywine" from Morgan County Seeds and get a big pink tomato that is just as good as any other big round pink I have grown so far. Last year I had Stump of the World and Marianna's Peace. They were good, but I don't think they were better. I still have a lot more pink tomatoes to try, though.

I get the impression that over so many years that the word Brandywine has come to mean "tomato that tastes good." It has been used for many different varieties.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #11
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Nothing brings me out of the woodwork faster than a post about Brandywines. When I first started growing them in my gardens, they were simply Brandywines. After a few years they became Pink Brandywines. As years went by we began seeing Yellow Brandywines, Red Brandywines, Black Brandywines, True Black Brandywines, Brandywine-OTV, Purple Brandywine, Brandywine-Sudduth's, and more and more.
I added to this confusion by introducing Cowlick's Brandywine. A large pink Brandywine that grew great tasting, large oblate fruits. What made it stand out was its productivity. Although planted, transplanted, grown the same as all the other Brandywines in my gardens, it began producing ripe fruits about 2 weeks earlier than Brandywine- Glick's which in turn was about 2 weeks earlier than Brandywine-Sudduth's. Or any other Brandywines I nwas growing, and believe me, I( was growing them all, as well as other varieties of heirloom tomatoes.)
It outproduced every type of Brandywine I was growing. The tomatoes were similar in taste, and texture, but there was no comparison in yield. That year, it produced up till November 1, when we finally had a killing frost. The other Brandywines were done back in September, except for a red Brandywine or two that lasted till the first week of October.
I was so impressed with this one Pink Brandywine, that I named it Cowlick's Brandywine after the nursury where I had found it. I had friends throughout the country,with whom I exchanged tomato seed. I shared some seed of this exceptional Pink Brandywine with them, after they had complained about poor yields from their pink Brandywines. Soon they were singing its praises and sharing seeds with other tomato growers around the world.
It didn't take long for Cowlick Brandywine to be grown through-out Europe, Canada, Most of the U.S.A. and in Africa. After awhile it was being grown in Asia and even in the Philippines. After years of growing it side by side with Brandywine-Sudduth's, I've finally decided this coming season to eliminate Brandywine-Sudduth's from my gardens. Most of the other Brandywines have been eliminated over the years as I reduced the size of my gardens from a few hundred tomatoes to 43 last year. This year, I'm only planting 23 varieties, but I can assure you Cowlick's Brandywine will be one of them. As will a Red Brandywine P.L. that was exceptional last year.

The past few years, have seen my favorite Brandywines fall out of the top 5 favorites on my tomato growing list. The past year that went to:
German Johnson-Benton Strain-R.L.
German Johnson-Benton Strain- P.L. Grafted on Maxifort rootstock
Cherokee Purple- from Homegrown Harvest
Bear Creek, ( a Pink Brandywine/ Cherokee Purple Cross)
and the best tasting tomato of the year for me:
German Johnson-Benton Strain X unknown black which I suspect was Bear Creek and I'm calling it Barlow's Best Black. Although I have a Gettysburg address, I actually live in Barlow.
There have been thousands of varieties of tomatoes that I've grown the past 55 years or so, but Brandywines have always been welcomed in my gardens as one of the best and Cowlick's Brandywine as one of the Best of the Best. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to tomato growers throughout the world.
Enjoy!
Camo

Last edited by camochef; February 4, 2015 at 04:32 PM.
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! What a write-up! This year I'm DEFINITELY growing Camo's Cowlicks BW which I received in Gary's swap last year.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #13
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I wondered when Camo would pop up! Well, Camo has been hyping this one for awhile. Ironically, it is "his" strain of Brandywine? I bought in, also....sure hope it is good for me too. Funny, I read Craig's book (excellent book) and noticed he really loves "Lucky Cross". Turns out...it is his tomato he developed! I sure wish I was smart enough to do something like they have. Oh well...I am a pretty good fisherman...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #14
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I wondered when Camo would pop up! Well, Camo has been hyping this one for awhile. Ironically, it is "his" strain of Brandywine? I bought in, also....sure hope it is good for me too. Funny, I read Craig's book (excellent book) and noticed he really loves "Lucky Cross". Turns out...it is his tomato he developed! I sure wish I was smart enough to do something like they have. Oh well...I am a pretty good fisherman...
Ed,
I had nothing to do with Cowlick's Brandywine development, other than naming it to distinguish it from other Brandywines at the time. It was simply a plant I had bought from a local nursery. The owner of which had about a half dozen tomato plants in his greenhouse, all about 31/2-4 foot tall. By the time I realized it was something different than all the other Brandywines I was growing at the time, and really something special, It was much later in the year and when I returned to his nursery in search of more information, I couldn't get much. As he remembered, he bought it from an Amish seed source that listed it as either Brandywine or Pink Brandywine.
Now, I was responsible for sharing seeds from it with many tomato growers on this and other forums, about 7-8 years ago. Mostly all were impressed with its productivity, (as well as its taste and characteristics), and they in turn shared seeds with even more tomato growers worldwide.
It is a great tasting tomato, much more productive than other Brandywines, but quite similar with its thin skin, small core, large size, and delicious taste. After many years of growing Brandywines of all types, I'm eliminating Brandywine-Sudduth's and other Pink Brandywines from my gardens, this coming season. I will still grow Cowlick's Brandywine, Brandywine -Glick's, (From Amishland), and a Red Brandywine P.L. from Homegrown Harvest.
I'm more interested in growing German Johnson-Benton Strain. Both the R.L. and the grafted P.L. version and extremely interested in growing German Johnson-Benton Strain crossed with an unknown Black, It's also P.L. and I suspect it to be crossed with Bear Creek, another Brandywine/Cherokee Purple cross developed by someone else.
I suppose the German Johnson -Benton strain cross is mine and I'm calling that one "Barlow's Best Black" No one else has any seeds for that one...yet. Maybe available after I see how it does this coming season. Then it will be available only to a select few, till it proves itself.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Ed Both Craig and Camo have grown hundreds of various tomatoes every year for dozens of years. Why does it surprise you that either or both would happen upon a formerly unknown tomato or a chance cross? In fact the better question would be Why Wouldn't They? And to walk it thru, having grown hundreds of tomatoes for dozens of years they would certainly be in a position to appreciate a superior find.

Last edited by Sun City Linda; February 5, 2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: removed wording.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote