Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2011   #1
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Default Keepers for 2012

This year our emphases was one mostly paste/sauce tomatoes but we still grow a few slicers and salad tomatoes. The following list are ones that will find a place in our garden next year and hopefully many years to come. So far we have over ten containers full of sauce in the freezer which is even more than last year and we aren't done yet!

It should be noted that we had a difficult time with disease this year (some which started early on) but the plants are still hanging on with fruits that we hope will ripen soon.

~Sauce~
1) Rinaldo* (sweetness beyond belief for a paste--gives Opalka a run for it's money--drawback was more disease prone than Opalka)

2) Dagestanskiy* (perfect for sauce and the taste is incredible)

3) Opalka (you always wish you had planted more of these--seeds from two different sources of which we preferred Marianna's seeds) Note 9/14/11 -- I mentioned seeds from two different sources and the reason we liked Marianna's seeds better was because they were solid whereas the other source (Tomato Growers) was hollow in parts of the tomato--taste/production seemed the same for both. I will still buy from Tomato Growers because of their excellent selection of OP/Heirloom tomatoes.

4) Spadaro* (Thank you, Carolyn, for saving these fantastic tasting tomatoes)

5) Justine Heart* (there's a reason Tania made a note at her website that these were a favorite, absolutely excellent flavor)

5) Mikes Italian Heart* (taste and good solid paste)

6) Reif's Italian Heart* (wow, holy cow a HUGE tomato--planting many more of these next year!)

7) Slankand's* (meaty and excellent taste)

8) Joe's Plum* (extraordinary delicious flavor--I am eating one right now as I type and the flavor lingers wonderfully on the tongue--I'd even use it as a slicer it's that good except hubby says the skin is too tough for that)

~Slicers~
9) Dr. Lyle (hubby says you can feed a family of twelve with one fruit, I disagree--I can eat the whole tomato all by myself )

10) KBX (It looks like KBX will be our yellow slicer over Yellow Brandywine--I've tried growing Yellow Brandywine a couple of years now and they don't live up to the memories I had of them years ago--these have been mealy and tasteless. KBX has wonderful flavor and disease resist being the last to show any yellowing of leaves, a true, well-deserved winner!)

11) Cherokee Purple (Never, never disappoints--the king of the garden in taste!)

12) Mortgage Lifter (Another tomato that isn't quite living up to the memories I had of it in the past but still quite a good tomato--because of space issues we might be looking to replace it with something new next year--any suggestions would be appreciated )

~Salad or Cherry~
13) Purple Haze (Another tomato that never disappoints--we will always have Purple Haze in our garden for taste!)

14) Galina (Reseeded itself from last year--hubby absolutely loves this tomato so it looks like Galina will be a keeper in our garden from deliberately saved seeds this time)

Added today 9/14/11 for the "Sauce" category:
15) Ernesto* - Huge, excellent taste and productive--a heavy tomato, slicing into it you'll find it's all meat, just wonderful.

* These tomatoes were grown from seed obtained from Tania's website "Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Catalog"

Last edited by Sunsi; September 14, 2011 at 02:10 PM.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2011   #2
Iva
Tomatovillian™

12). A good substitute would be Barlow Jap or Cowlick's Brandywine, the last one being a tad smaller but great tasting, quite early and productive. Oh and Earl's Faux, that one was a winner here this year. Yum!
I can send you some seeds or we can do a trade. Have you seen my trading list?
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Delighted to see that you grew it. it's kind of disappeared from the SSE YEarbook over time. I first listed it in 1993 and about the only person I know who continues to grow it from time to time is Craig LeHoullier.

I'm also glad to see that Tania offers seeds for it:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Spadaro

There are so many great varieties that were once listed in the SSE YEarbooks that I think have been overlooked. And some of them are still there from time to time. So often folks want the newest, the latest, the trendiest, ahem, varieties, when so many ones already known are just plain overlooked.

There's a thread around here that was in the General Discussion Forum about this quite a while ago but I didn't bother to go looking for it.

The same person offered seeds of Rinaldo and Ernesto to others so I do know both of those.

As for ANY Mortgage Lifter, I think the hype for them, in general, has far out run the various so called strains, which aren't, but one that is is called Estler's Mortgage Lifter and I prefer that one over all the others. It looks like the Estler family were the ones who preceded Charlie Byles in coming up with something called Mortgage Lifter, but that's been discussed here as well so I'll skip over that whole subject ASAP.

So if you want to grow a good ML try the Estler one and other than that there are slews of great large pink beefsteaks to chose from to replace your ML.

Nice looking list, BTW, and at least you got some fruits off your plants whereas when I look out at mine I just want to cry, so go and eat some good chocolate.
Old September 12, 2011   #4
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing that feedback Sunsi, especially since you're near me, I like to hear what others are growing well . I don't have too much heirloom experience to share so I'll just wait until next year when I have many more I can comment on!

I did buy Rinaldo from Tania for next year, so I'm really glad to hear it was worth it! I always grow San Marzanos and even with black spots all over them(the leaves, not the fruits!), I got over 60 fruits from the one bush I am monitoring, so it's super productive and I'm hoping Rinaldo will be as well.

Last edited by lakelady; September 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarification
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2011   #5
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

second the estlers. fantastic flavor. much better than the reular mortgage lifter. produced over a dozen large fruit. plant got huge. first fruit of the season was a biggin'. was going to use it for seed, but it accidently got used on cheeseburgers.

potato top, or limbaughs legacy has performed well for the last two seasons. excellent taste and size.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2011   #6
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks, for the helpful replies everyone!

Iva
Quote:
12). A good substitute would be Barlow Jap or Cowlick's Brandywine, the last one being a tad smaller but great tasting, quite early and productive. Oh and Earl's Faux, that one was a winner here this year. Yum!
I can send you some seeds or we can do a trade. Have you seen my trading list?
Thanks, for those suggestions, Iva! No, I haven't seen your list but will look for it now. Just went searching for the Barlow Jap on google and found this. Must try this one next year.....
http://2manytomatoes.blogspot.com/20...iews-2011.html

And then went looking for, Cowlick's Brandywine, and found this at Tania's website--it is sure worth a try!

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e,_Cowlick%27s

Tatianas Tomato Base QUOTE:

"Another strain of Brandywine, found by Mike Henry at a nursery called Cowlick's, hence it's name.

Mike Henry bought it as a plant in the mid 2000s. It was labeled Brandywine or Pink Brandywine, but outperformed all other strains of Brandywine tomatoes that Mike also grew in the same year. It was more productive, earlier, tasted better, and produced larger and prettier fruits. Mr. Henry first thought that this was Brandywine Sudduth's that was praised for the similar traits, but the subsequent growouts and comparisons with other strains of Brandywine convinced him that this strain is even better than Sudduth's. He named it 'Cowlick's Brandywine' after the nursery where he originally purchased the plant."

I tried Earl's Faux a few years back but didn't keep very good records (trying to change that bad habit now ) so I can't remember what it was like--it's another one added to the 2012 list.

carolyn137
Quote:

Delighted to see that you grew it. it's kind of disappeared from the SSE YEarbook over time. I first listed it in 1993 and about the only person I know who continues to grow it from time to time is Craig LeHoullier.

I'm also glad to see that Tania offers seeds for it:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Spadaro

There are so many great varieties that were once listed in the SSE YEarbooks that I think have been overlooked. And some of them are still there from time to time. So often folks want the newest, the latest, the trendiest, ahem, varieties, when so many ones already known are just plain overlooked.

The same person offered seeds of Rinaldo and Ernesto to others so I do know both of those.
Carolyn, I took a lot of our tomatoes down to the local Vet Center to share with my fellow veterans and they went crazy for the heart tomatoes, Ernesto and Spadaro are two that stand out from all the raves (incredibly I forgot to include Ernesto on the list in my first post and it was so impressive, huge, excellent flavor and productive--it will be in my garden next year!)

carolyn137
Quote:
As for ANY Mortgage Lifter, I think the hype for them, in general, has far out run the various so called strains, which aren't, but one that is is called Estler's Mortgage Lifter and I prefer that one over all the others. It looks like the Estler family were the ones who preceded Charlie Byles in coming up with something called Mortgage Lifter, but that's been discussed here as well so I'll skip over that whole subject ASAP. [...] So if you want to grow a good ML try the Estler one and other than that there are slews of great large pink beefsteaks to chose from to replace your ML.
ssi912
Quote:
second the estlers. fantastic flavor. much better than the reular mortgage lifter. produced over a dozen large fruit. plant got huge. first fruit of the season was a biggin'. was going to use it for seed, but it accidently got used on cheeseburgers.
ssi912, I can relate to that! When you see a big beautiful tomato forgetting to collect seed before eating is easy to do. I have such great memories of ML from long ago that it is worthy of another try in my 2012 garden and will make sure it's the Estlers, like you and Carolyn recommend. The only difference from my garden back then and the one I have now is back then I did the French intensive garden (I found fossells because I dug so deep ) and the garden I have now is a raised bed--would it make a difference in taste, I wonder.

lakelady
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that feedback Sunsi, especially since you're near me, I like to hear what others are growing well . I don't have too much heirloom experience to share so I'll just wait until next year when I have many more I can comment on!

I did buy Rinaldo from Tania for next year, so I'm really glad to hear it was worth it! I always grow San Marzanos and even with black spots all over them(the leaves, not the fruits!), I got over 60 fruits from the one bush I am monitoring, so it's super productive and I'm hoping Rinaldo will be as well.
You're welcome, lakelady--you just reminded me to add San Marzanos to my 2012 because I remember Carolyn saying how good they were too. Putting up sauce is my main objective so I go for flavor and production--any tomato that can still produce even when hit with disease deserves attention. I'm glad to hear that you bought seed for Rinaldo--one taste and you'll be hooked--the first thing that hits you is the sweet taste and it's not unpleasant either--then there's the after taste which is amazing! Could probably use them as a slicer or in a salad too. I should also note here that there two tomatoes neither me or hubby liked and they were "Polish" and "Persimmon"--the only way I can find to describe them is bland, acidity tasting.

ssi912
Quote:
potato top, or limbaughs legacy has performed well for the last two seasons. excellent taste and size.
Wow! I wanted to share a link after I google this tomato and there are just too many! Every link was another rave about Limbaugh's Legacy tomato--it seems that this tomato has won a lot of attention for taste, size and production--MUST try! Thank you.

carolyn137
Quote:
Nice looking list, BTW, and at least you got some fruits off your plants whereas when I look out at mine I just want to cry, so go and eat some good chocolate.
Thank you, Carolyn--I do hope you get some fruit.....but the chocolate doesn't sound too bad as a consolation.
Old September 14, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome, lakelady--you just reminded me to add San Marzanos to my 2012 because I remember Carolyn saying how good they were too. Putting up sauce is my main objective .

Nope, that wouldn't have been me b'c I'm not pro San Marzanos nor any of the Costolutos either when it comes to sauce.

Lots of others to consider for sauce but most of my tomato friends use the very best tasting ones they have around for sauce b/c MOST paste types are not known for great taste, in my opinion and I guess the opinion of quite a few others.
Old September 14, 2011   #8
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
You're welcome, lakelady--you just reminded me to add San Marzanos to my 2012 because I remember Carolyn saying how good they were too. Putting up sauce is my main objective .

Nope, that wouldn't have been me b'c I'm not pro San Marzanos nor any of the Costolutos either when it comes to sauce.

Lots of others to consider for sauce but most of my tomato friends use the very best tasting ones they have around for sauce b/c MOST paste types are not known for great taste, in my opinion and I guess the opinion of quite a few others.
That TV commercial where the woman walks into a room looking for her glasses which sit atop her head--I can relate to that, hehe My memory is going.....should have looked it up before posting. A post at "another forum" you mentioned "Heidi & Martino's Roma" both of which I'm going to get around to growing, eventually. Anyway, how I got San Marzanos for 'Heidi & Martino's Roma is a mystery for the ages.....
Old September 14, 2011   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A post at "another forum" you mentioned "Heidi & Martino's Roma" both of which I'm going to get around to growing, eventually. Anyway, how I got San Marzanos for 'Heidi & Martino's Roma is a mystery for the ages.....

When forced to list some good paste varieties I usually list:

Heidi
Mama Leone
Martino's Roma
Opalka
Tony's italian

... andof course there are many more.

Mystery for the ages? I hope not b'c I'm old already and actually at the stage where I eat dessert first.
Old September 15, 2011   #10
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
A post at "another forum" you mentioned "Heidi & Martino's Roma" both of which I'm going to get around to growing, eventually. Anyway, how I got San Marzanos for 'Heidi & Martino's Roma is a mystery for the ages.....

When forced to list some good paste varieties I usually list:

Heidi
Mama Leone
Martino's Roma
Opalka
Tony's italian

... andof course there are many more.

Mystery for the ages? I hope not b'c I'm old already and actually at the stage where I eat dessert first.
I live in Italy and we make/conserve passata every year.

For the passata machine, polish linguisa was fantastic.

We also make another version without the machine, using "non paste" heirlooms such as black krim and cherokee chocolate, but it takes much more time as you have to keep pressing out the water before you cook them...but i think they make for a much tastier and thicker sauce.
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2011   #11
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

i am going to try Nyagous, Black Ethiopian and Fioletovyi Kruglyi (hope i spelled that correctly!).
Does anyone have any experience with these regarding flavor, cracking, etc....
thanks so much
I live in Italy and am introducing heirlooms here
The black tomatoes are very popular and so I am looking for other variations beyond Krim, cherokee.
Black from Tula and Paul Robeson were not good producers for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old September 15, 2011   #12
Iva
Tomatovillian™

We are neighbors then!
I can tell you some of my dark favorites that do well in my climate: Amazon Chocolate, JD's Special C-Tex, Arbuznyi, Black Bear, Spudakee and Slovenian Black.
Black Ethiopian was actually not a good producer for me, it had very few fruits on a quite short plant...
Old September 15, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iva View Post
We are neighbors then!
I can tell you some of my dark favorites that do well in my climate: Amazon Chocolate, JD's Special C-Tex, Arbuznyi, Black Bear, Spudakee and Slovenian Black.
Black Ethiopian was actually not a good producer for me, it had very few fruits on a quite short plant...
Iva, have you seen the interesting thread here at Tville about Black Bear, which is a rename of another variety as the thread shows?

let me fetch it:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15828

Black Ethiopian is also another rename since it was brought to Ethiopia no doubt when the Russians occupied the country for all those years and b'c there are no dark varieties that originated in Ethiopia.

My former student Tadesse Wuhib picked up two types for me when he was able to go back to Addas Abba, he had claimed asylum in the US along with his uncle who was the Bishop of Ethiopia whom I met when Tadesse graduated, and he got them in the market place there and we cleverly named one Tadesse and the other one Wuhib.
Old September 16, 2011   #14
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. My 'Black Bear' (I guess I'll have all three names for this one in my notes) actually fits the original version from Andrey in size as it was smaller, 120-150 grams...
Old September 16, 2011   #15
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Iva,
thanks for the suggestions..i am now on the search for these seeds
live in Parma so we are definitely neighbors!
I have hiked the Julian alps..your country is so beautiful

roberta