Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 26, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default I feel better!

It's been so nice here this weekend! I got my corn and tomato patches worked up and ready to go. Sweet corn will be planted tomorrow. I have been itching to plant tomatoes. It is too early though. So today, I cleaned up my patio planter and planted 2 cherry tomatoes in it. They have a big cage over the planter so I can cover them if need be easy peasy.
Now I feel much better
Old April 26, 2009   #2
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Replying to my own post
We ended up planting some corn tonight. Here's a pic

I have more pics showing the finished field, etc., but will post those in the photo gallery.
Old April 26, 2009   #3
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Isn't that cheating using that tractor.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Ha! Would you rather we hitch up a mule or something?
Old April 26, 2009   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I, too, am itching to get things in the ground. I did put four tomato plants in yesterday--I have backups, so not too much risked. I would have put more in today, but the wind! It's been 20-40 mph for the last three days straight. Temps have been in the mid eighties. I put milk carton type crates over the tomato plants to give them some protection from both sun and wind. If I hadn't had the crates on hand I wouldn't have put them out, not with that much wind.

I have my brassicas and onions in the ground but covered with floating row cover, more to protect from wind and critters than from cold weather. My peas--a moment of silence, please. Even with chicken wire fencing around them, something has been getting in and topping the plants.

The asparagus is in full production. I swear that stuff grows two inches, minimum, a day. Poor DH and I have to eat it for dinner every night.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2009   #6
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I put some burlap on the wind side of the tomato cage, as we are getting that nasty wind too. I have been trying to wheel my poor little seedlings around the house to block the wind while they're hardening off.
Bummer about the peas. I haven't even attempted peas since we moved to this place. So many rabbits, I figured peas would be a buffet for them.
Asparagus is something I've never grown, but boy I love it. I may have to put that on my list to try next year.
Old April 26, 2009   #7
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Barbee,
You really should plant some asparagus. It's early, it's delicious, and the rabbits and deer don't eat it. (Asparagus beetles find it lickety-split, but don't seem to have much consequence--I don't try to do anything about them anymore.)

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2009   #8
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Asparagus needs a permanent home, right? I could make a raised bed this year and buy some .......hmm........do you buy it in the spring or fall?
Old April 26, 2009   #9
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Barbee - gorgeous looking soil and setting - I could plants 100's and 100's of tomatoes. You plant asparagus in the spring - not too late if you find the plants. We finally had rain so mine should bulk up a little - it has been very thin and sparse but always tasty. My peas are 4-6", rhubarb nearly ready, and baskets of fall planted spinach. With eggs from a friend's farm, asparagus quiche, spinach quiche and salads. Life is good. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009   #10
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I think I'll concentrate on getting the bed ready this summer since it is permanent. Hard to rush those things as you only have to redo it if you miss a step LoL I didn't get my lettuce bed planted this year due to a wet early spring. Hopefully next year, I'll be back on track. I like wilted lettuce
We have a very large place and I'd plant lots more tomatoes if I thought i could eat them or give them away. It just breaks my heart to see food go to waste. Which is probably why I'm fat