Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2009   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Do I NEED to pot up ???

Long story short, I may need a few extra seedlings that I have left over. I'd like to plant sometime this weekend or by Tues. My left over seedlings are still in the flats that I started them in and most look pretty good.

If I ween them into the sunlight, can I put them directly into the ground? Most have a bunch of them in the cell so I'd have to break them apart like usual.

OR should I pot up and wait at least a week?

Silly question I know but was wondering if anyone else does this and had it work.

Thanks,

greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #2
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

For best results, I would break them up into small pots or cellpacks and plant them out if you need them when the roots start coming out the drain holes.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

What if I throw the whole cell in and just trim off the ones I don't want? Skipping the breaking aprt portion. Maybe?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Greg, to keep them healthy, for my extras (and if I am behind), I pop out a whole cell of 35-40 plants and settle them into a 4 inch pot (without breaking up) and they can hold like that for a few weeks before I need them - then they can be separated. Tomato plants are so very forgiving of all sorts of indiscretions!