Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2009   #1
tomacco
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone growing Sunset's Red Horizon?

I'm growing two Sunset's Red Horizon (aka Rostova) plants in an EarthTainer.

Does anyone else have experience with this variety?

There certainly is a lot of hype behind it. Does it live up to expectations? Does it grow well in a container?
tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

There seem to be a few variations around. Grunt grew some
that he got from a seed trader in Europe, and it came out a PL
with 8-12 oz heart shaped fruit (the original is an RL beefsteak
with larger fruit).
Old April 1, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
There seem to be a few variations around. Grunt grew some
that he got from a seed trader in Europe, and it came out a PL
with 8-12 oz heart shaped fruit (the original is an RL beefsteak
with larger fruit).
Dice is quite correct in that the seed for Rostova, aka Sunset Red Horizon renamed by Gary Ibsen sold for the past few years at Tomato fest has been not correct for the variety.

I was sent seed for Rostova by someone who bought it from Tomatofest the 1st or second year it was offered and it was an RL red beefsteak as it should be and actually quite good.

The company that originally introduced Rostova knows all about this and has said for several years now that they would try to reintroduce the correct variety but nothinig has happened.

I sent the last of my true Rostova seeds from the original pack to Linda at Tomatofest this past December b'c what she is offering in the 2009 catalog/website was also the wrong heart shaped Rostova, but not a PL version and I haven't even heard of the wrong PL heart shaped version until now, whatever that might be. And I'm hoping she had good luck in germinating those seeds
Old April 1, 2009   #4
tomacco
Tomatovillian™

Bummer. So what you're saying is that I'm not growing what I think I'm growing. I did buy my seeds directly from TomatoFest.
Old April 1, 2009   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Not a fan of Gary Ibsen OR TomatoFest for many reasons; renaming varieties being one of them.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2009   #6
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

I'm with you there, Tomacco. Got my seeds from TomatoFest, too, based only bought them based upon their description (had never heard of Rostova). I hope that the tomato grows out at least similar to what they describe, even if it is not the equal of the original. FWIW, the seedlings appear to be RL, as far as this newbie can tell from the first true leave that emerged a few days ago.
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #7
tomacco
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, mine are definitely RL. These guys are around 7 weeks old now. As long as they produce something like the description on TomatoFest, I will be happy. Their specific pedigree is not so important to me.
Old April 2, 2009   #8
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

The semi-heart shaped SRH from Tomatofest is a large plant and heavy producer. It came on later in the season for me than advertized but that could have been a fluke because the plant was late to come into bloom for me. The foliage is regular leaf and somewhat wispy, but not as wispy as something like Anna Russian. The flavor is pretty good, but mine suffered because of how late they ripened for me, so they might be better than what I grew. Most fruit are 10-16 ounces, but I got a few much larger than that.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2009   #9
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

TOMACCO
I,often grow this variety and am doing so again this year. I got my original seeds from tomatofest several years ago and they were good producers of many 2 lb plus Tomatoes. I sent a lot of seeds to a lady in Sooke,BC,canada and she had great success with them as well. She operates a nursery. You can view the tomatoes she grew at www.fullcircleseeds.com . Scroll down to Tomatoes and She has them listed as Red Sunset Horizon,I don't know why. I have heard from sources that tell me that the current SRH from Tomatofest are much smaller.
Old April 2, 2009   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have heard from sources that tell me that the current SRH from Tomatofest are much smaller.

Jim, since the Rostova currently being offered at Tomatofest isn 't Rostova I don't think one can say that the fruits are smaller b/c there's no direct comparison.

I did look at the website you linked to and what's shown appears to be correct for Rostova and the original seeds I spoke about above also gave fruits in the 1-2# range.

Just for kicks I looked at what background material she was giving for several other tomato varieties. For quite a few she gives only her own seed source and not much at all about where or who the variety originated from, but that's surely her decision as to what she wants to present.
Old April 24, 2009   #11
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Jim, I know you are a big fan of Rostova. I'm growing one this year from seed you sent me a while back (thanks again). Can you post a pic of the leaves of this tomato plant?
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2009   #12
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Default tomatovator

I'm sorry I still don't know how to post photo's