Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2009   #16
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Yea, but is there a money back guarantee?

A total of 20 seeds two sticks and a free instructional seed stating guide.

Give one to a friend and keep the other for yourself.

ACT NOW while supplies last.

Shipping and handling not included.
Offer may not be good in some parts of Africa.the USA or Canada, all of Europe, former USSR Asia and South America.
Customers in Alaska and Antarctica will be charged for an additional $50 in shipping.

Worth's Rip Off SEEDS LTD.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2009   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

Another potential yellow pear replacement: Fargo. This
one is a determinate, so the plant takes up less space
than Yellow Pear, which gets quite tall.

The only description that I have for it is at TGS:
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

I have not grown it, so I cannot personally confirm
productivity or flavor. Maybe someone else has
experience with it.
Old February 23, 2009   #18
LenaBeanNZ
Tomatovillian™

My favourite cherry is Yellow Plum. Meaty, oval shaped, and very flavourful. It was just as vigorous for me as Yellow Pear, which I also found bland. Snow White is nice, but not as productive.

I have plenty of Yellow Plum seeds to share if anyone wants to try it, PM me.

Lena
LenaBeanNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #19
helena handbasket
Tomatovillian™

I always have one yellow pear, no matter what. My nieces and mother love them and I noticed a funny thing. When everything else in the garden is sickly or dying, when life intrudes and I don't have the time to care for the materbabies... the darned thing cranks out some tasty tomatoes. I'm beginning to think it thrives on adversity. I'm going to try a bit of tough love this summer and see what happens.
helena handbasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2009   #20
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

They are soooo pretty on the vine & in the bowl with other cherry/pears though.... DH won't "bother" to eat them (& this is the guy would wanders into the garden with cheese & crackers on a platter & just grazes a meal - LOL)
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2009   #21
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Preciate all of the info. I've got Beam's and Yellow Submarine seedlings going now as far as pears. Also growing Galina's, Chello and Peruvian Bush for cherries. I'll post something in the summer to give my assessment.

Thanks!
Old April 19, 2009   #22
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing this one for the first time this year. I'm assuming that it's the standard, 'no-name' yellow pear.

I have yet to try one yet, so I can't speak for taste, but I will say this... The darn thing is MUCH bigger than any other variety I have growing right now. It's HUGE and totally covered in flowers and fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YelPearPlant.jpg (212.6 KB, 34 views)
Old April 20, 2009   #23
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply. My tomatoes have been less than fantastic so far. I started them over 2 months ago and they still aren't over 3 inches tall I honestly don't know what I've done wrong..
Old April 20, 2009   #24
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

The first tomatoes I got around to growing after I moved to phoenix were on my apartment balcony, in a big plastic planter... in the WRONG soil, I found out later. To top it off, I hadn't drilled any holes in the bottom for drainage because I was on the 2nd floor.

Suffice to say, the plant did very little for a long time. I tried to be careful not to water too much, but it didn't matter - I was using garden SOIL and not potting mix, and there was too much water. I was trying to grow the plant in MUD.

Add to that, the light the plant was getting in its location on my balcony was way too little, and way too filtered.

After a couple months of nothing, I moved the plant out of the planter to a small garden spot in my parents' backyard, which I had amended with lots of organic matter to keep it from being too dense. After a few weeks, I could see the plant finally starting to grow.

... long story short. How is your soil? Is it densely packed, or is it light and full of organics? How is the light where they are?