Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 4, 2009   #1
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Default Watermelon advice needed.

I've never grown watermelon before. This spring I started some seeds I saved from a big and tasty watermelon given to me two years ago by my parents long time cleaning lady . She has passed away but the reports I have are she saved seeds and she planted those. An (hopefully) OP watermelon that works so well in zone 3 is to good to pass up.

I got two of 6 seeds to germinate and lost one plant to damping off. The survivor was planted in a 30 - 40 gallon black ceramic pot filled with a mixture of 1/3 compost and 2/3 potting mix and a handfull of moisture retention crystals (12 or so quarts of the potting mix is the Miracle Grow with slow release fertilizer & supposed moisture retention). I'm in zone 4.

Much to my surprise the plant seems to be thriving and has set a number of melons. I've gone from , "if it works it works" to "Oh my goodness this has to work!" attitude; hence my call for help.
  1. We have creatures eating our green tomatoes, probably raccoons. I've set out a game camera in hopes of identifying the villains. I fear for my largest mellon & I've slipped it inside a Q2 size panty hose leg. Will this be sufficient protection & will it interfere with rippening?
  2. The melons that have set are hanging off the ground. My biggest one, softball size, is sitting on a piece of concrete for now and I can probably mound up soil for it to rest on. Can I support the others with a panty hose sling until the end of the melon can rest on the ground or should I start looking for chairs or benches for them to lay on?
  3. How many watermelons will one vine support? I have 3 or 4 set now.
  4. I've been told I should cut off the growing tips of the vines to concentrate energy into the melons, accurate?
Any and all advice is welcome and much appreciated.
It's nice to be back on Tomatoville after a long absence.
Again, thanks in advance.
Old August 4, 2009   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

The panty hose wont effect the ripening/growing process and is good for tie up support, but probably not enough protection agianst raccoons. As I understand, most watermelon varieties will nurse a family of 2-4. I would not cut anything, just let it sprawl. Tip* Cut back water when the melon stops swelling and starts to ripen.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2009   #3
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks SportsGuy

I'll have to investigate some type of netting or fence. The plant has set 5 melons so far. Is that too many? Thanks again for your help.
Old August 5, 2009   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I would let it set as many as it wants to, I say the more the better!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2009   #5
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, sounds like a plan.
Old August 7, 2009   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Tom'sson

Five on a plant may reduce the size of each. However, it doesn't sound like you know how large they may get.

I limit my plants to two fruit, so that they will grow as large as they can. As an example, Orangleglo can produce two thirty pounders. Once, I left about 5-6 on a plant. They were in the 8-15 lb range.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2009   #7
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply. Considering the creatures may snack on the melons, no big crowd to feed & I don'tbow what the heck I'm doing, more might be safer. The melon the seeds came from seemed pretty big to me. Took me a week to eat it, a big thick slice every night. Perhaps I'll leave 4 or 5 on and see what happens, if nothing else, I'm sure learning a lot! '
Old August 8, 2009   #8
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply. Considering the creatures may snack on the melons, no big crowd to feed & I don'tbow what the heck I'm doing, more might be safer. The melon the seeds came from seemed pretty big to me. Took me a week to eat it, a big thick slice every night. Perhaps I'll leave 4 or 5 on and see what happens, if nothing else, I'm sure learning a lot! '