Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 1, 2011   #1
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Cooking Pots - Reactivity to Metals

In reading another thread, I am running into mention of the reactivity of tomato and aluminum cookware. I was not familiar with this so did a little research. I found several articles including this one: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...m-or-aluminum/.

I assume this is also why some people swear by cooking some dishes, such as pasta sauce, jambalaya, etc. only in Iron Pots, but in this case it would be a positive aspect. I think.

I would love to hear other opinions on this, or other reference sources.

Keith
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #2
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

My mom did a lot of canning when I was a kid and I remember that from helping her when she made tomato sauce and sweet pickles. She always used an iron pot for that.
Old August 1, 2011   #3
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I was just taught in school that you aren't supposed to cook acidic foods in copper pots because you'll end up with metal poisoning.
Old August 2, 2011   #4
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I stay away from cooking with aluminum as much as possible because of the rumored link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. I usually cook in stainless steel pots and pans. I'd use glass pots, but I'm a bit of a klutz and would probably break them a lot!

I hadn't heard about tomatoes reacting with certain metals, but it makes sense and it's another good reason to stay away from aluminum cookware.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I was a professional confectioner (candymaker) for many years, beginning at the young age of 13 as an apprentice in a small shop.

Solid copper kettles (round bottomed pots) are used almost exclusively in the trade, due to their excellent even-heat conductive properties. The issue with cooking in copper is that you cannot leave food in it after cooking is finished, or store food in it for any amount of time. A small amount of copper is essential for everyday health, but large amounts in a single dose or over a short period of time can be poisonous.

That being said, you shouldn't ever cook tomatoes or any type of food that is highly acidic in an unlined copper vessel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kettle.JPG (49.6 KB, 12 views)

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011   #6
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I always thought I was safe cooking in mostly Stainless Steel. But after reading more about this, there is even an issue with Chromium leaching from cheap stainless steel pots. Having paid handsomely for my SS cookware, I did not think it cheap. But their definition of cheap meant SS pot not made from surgical quality stainless and not insanely priced like Saladmaster which costs as much a nice used car.

Well, I don't want to be sitting someday in an old folks home dying from nothing, so I guess this will have to do, lol.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2011   #7
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
I always thought I was safe cooking in mostly Stainless Steel. But after reading more about this, there is even an issue with Chromium leaching from cheap stainless steel pots. Having paid handsomely for my SS cookware, I did not think it cheap. But their definition of cheap meant SS pot not made from surgical quality stainless and not insanely priced like Saladmaster which costs as much a nice used car.

Well, I don't want to be sitting someday in an old folks home dying from nothing, so I guess this will have to do, lol.
It is both sad and terrifying the amount of awful things humans use in everyday life....