Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 11, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Lime

Bill Jeffers (PapaVic) grew Golden Cherokee in 09 and ended up with fruit that had a clear epidermis which he attributed to a mutation. He named it Cherokee Lemon per the color of the fruit.
He sent me seeds from Cherokee Lemon to grow this year and the fruit I got were green with also a clear epidermis. I was expecting the lemon color and when I did a squeeze test to my surprise the green fruits were ripe! Taste was excellent being sweet and fruity with enough tomato taste to remind you it was a tomato.
I sent pictures of the fruits I harvested to Bill who said out of the two plants he grew this year one grew true to the mutation he had originally and the other turned out green the same as mine. So he is calling the green "Cherokee Lime". Here are pictures of my harvested fruit. The first 3 pictures is the first fruit to ripen which was the size of a pool ball and totally green. The next 4 pics are from a beefsteak size with stripes . The last 3 are of what was a double bloom again with the stripes but not as pronounced as the beefsteak. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2331.JPG (75.4 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2332.JPG (72.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2333.JPG (82.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2336.JPG (107.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2337.JPG (80.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2338.JPG (82.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2339.JPG (149.4 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2344.JPG (92.5 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2345.JPG (63.0 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2346.JPG (99.0 KB, 228 views)