Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 11, 2016   #166
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

One thing that I did learn from last year was there is a big difference between the cheap generic bleaches and the Clorox. With the cheaper off brands think there is more water in the jugs and I could use a heavier mist. The one store I went to only had the full strength Clorox and I learned to use a lighter, finer mist, when trying to treat plants in the very early stage of disease. I about burned a few totally up being too heavy handed.

I do agree with Bill that catching things early and even doing preventive if you know those diseases are going to show up. I've gotten to the point where I don't worry about what the tomatoes look like, I just scout all the leaves, top and bottom . Amazing how one tiny spot of gray mold can turn into a nightmare in a couple of days if not treated.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #167
b54red
Tomatovillian™

After a week of rain nearly every day even though most of it wasn't heavy the overcast damp and very humid weather is causing a bit of gray mold to show up despite the weekly application of fungicides. I went out and sprayed the diluted bleach spray yesterday afternoon when the leaves had finally dried from the rains. I will go out in a few minutes and see how bad the gray mold was this morning because it doesn't take long for the bleach spray to start shriveling infected leaves. If it looks like I had a good bit of gray mold I may spray again tomorrow with the bleach spray and if not hopefully I can get a bit of copper sprayed today for further protection. This is the beginning of the worst time of the year for GM and I have to stay vigilant and keep an eye out for LB which is more of a danger in these weather conditions and must be caught very early for any hope of stopping it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will not make an appearance this year since my fall plants are starting to set some fruit and are looking good.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2016   #168
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Please keep us informed of the evolution of things. The Olympic games are going on, we are interested in all forms of competition. in our case the use of chemical products is allowed. I do hope you will be the winner.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote