Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2015   #1
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Default At the local garden center today I found this

At a local garden center today I found Dr. Carolyn plants, with great restraint and space issues I didn't buy it, but should I have? Do I need to go back? Do I need to grow this tomato? Yep, I have a tomato problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150608_133209.jpg (175.7 KB, 308 views)
Old June 9, 2015   #2
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Wow! I don't think I could have restrained myself there! Awesome.
Old June 9, 2015   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Dr. Carolyn is the surprise of this year's garden. The 7/8" spheres just explode with flavor when I snack on them on my daily morning garden inspection. Snow White used to be my favorite "white". But now it has been replaced. Pretty good yield as well.

MikeInCypress
Old June 9, 2015   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I thought it was a spitter. Will never grow again.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #5
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I think you made the right decision because of the leaf spots showing on the leaf on the left. I have grown it twice and do not like it but I know others that love it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

YEs, I'm NGO and always have been and no, I didn't name a variety for myself and yes it has great taste, for most, since it has genes from the variety Galina's Yellow which is PL with gold cherry tomatoes with excellent taste. And several have noted in the following link that taste was great for them. Not everything loaded for me for this link but hopefully it will be OK when some of you look at it.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Carolyn

There's more background on how I found this one but I won't post about that unless someone wants me to. Just saying that I wasn't the onlyone who got plants with different colored cherries from saved seeds b/c Steve Draper did too, and he had asked me to send him seeds for the best one, which he named Dr. Carolyn and SSE listed it without telling me.

Carolyn
Old June 10, 2015   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

For those that didn't care for it, try it again. For me it is USUALLY a great tasting cherry. but a couple of years ago it was a watery bag of seeds with no flavor at all. What was different that year ?? I don't know. Most likely something environmental that it didn't like. We have been having wildly differing weather the last few years. I believe that same year, Brown Berry was actually good tasting and usually it's rather crummy for me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #8
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great reason to grow multiple kinds every year . . . .
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
YEs, I'm NGO and always have been and no, I didn't name a variety for myself and yes it has great taste, for most, since it has genes from the variety Galina's Yellow which is PL with gold cherry tomatoes with excellent taste. And several have noted in the following link that taste was great for them. Not everything loaded for me for this link but hopefully it will be OK when some of you look at it.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Dr._Carolyn

There's more background on how I found this one but I won't post about that unless someone wants me to. Just saying that I wasn't the onlyone who got plants with different colored cherries from saved seeds b/c Steve Draper did too, and he had asked me to send him seeds for the best one, which he named Dr. Carolyn and SSE listed it without telling me.

Carolyn
Carolyn, please, what is the history on Dr Carolyn pink? I grew what it was supposed to be, but it was red. It tasted so good though.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #10
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dr. Carolyn some years back, taste was very good. Couldn't get seed to germinate a few years post. I'll have to try it again, next year.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #11
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Dr. Carolyn for several years now, and it is one of my cherry-sized tomato staples at market. I like the flavor a lot, the plant is a rampant, vigorous grower, and it produces like crazy! Mine have always been yellow.
Old June 10, 2015   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Carolyn, please, what is the history on Dr Carolyn pink? I grew what it was supposed to be, but it was red. It tasted so good though.
Marsha, I was hoping that Tania would have most of the information, and she did here:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...._Carolyn_Pink

Now adding more info. Tania says that it may still be unstable, but that has to do with fruit size, not so much color as far as I know.

When I grew plants from the seed that were sent to me, and he had already named it Dr. Carolyn Pink, I got plants with two different sizes of fruits. One plant would have fruits much larger than the variety Dr, Carolyn and another plant would have fruits the same size as Dr, Carolyn.

Unofficial tasting by me resulted in me saying in my original SSE listing for it that it might be best to use plants with the smaller fruits. I did try to stabilize the size by saving seed from large and small fruits, but saved seeds from small gave both small and large and seeds from large gave both,

Fusion says that Dr, Carolyn Pink is one of his favorite varieties for cherries.

I just pulled out a few back SSE YEarbooks and the same positive comments are made. And while some of the listers said they had heard it was possible to get some red fruited plants, all of the listers posted about pink ones.

In a way it reminds me about Fish Lake Oxheart where the original was red, and then pink ones showed up quite frequently. The original source was Neil G in Canada and when I asked if he could send me more seeds of the red, he did, and when I grew out some plants, some were pink.

So it seems clear to me that there was flip flopping between the red( yellow epidermis) and the pink ( clear epidermis) due to epidermis mutations,

Carolyn
Old June 10, 2015   #13
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

You couldn't pay me to grow it again. It was THAT bad!!

Greg
Old June 10, 2015   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

That one and Green Zebra
Old June 10, 2015   #15
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I actually saw this same plant at my nursery this year too but it was too late for me and I couldn't fit another one in. Said the girl who squeezed maters into cracks and they all are flourishing.... lol!!