Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Prince.

I was finely able to get a good tomato from the plants and brought it in to ripen.
As was with the San Marzano the first ones were bland.
This last one was tangy and acidic and paired well with a dab of salt.
One of the plants however has came down with the black death.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I was finely able to get a good tomato from the plants and brought it in to ripen.
As was with the San Marzano the first ones were bland.
This last one was tangy and acidic and paired well with a dab of salt.
One of the plants however has came down with the black death.

Worth
Black Prince was one of only 5, that's right FIVE, so called black ones in the SSE YEarbooks in the early 90's and if one wanted to count now it wouldn't surprise me if there close to 1,000 varieties now.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black_Prince

Black Death to me suggests the plague and what was done in medieval times was for folks to flee that area if they couldn't kill all the rats, or were trying to protect themselves from the respiratory transmission, was to carrry a small nosegay of flowers under their nose.

So I do hope you have some flowers in the garden,

And now a link for those who once sang that ditty of Ring around the Rosy as I did when I was a kid and had no idea what it really meant.

http://healthdecide.orcahealth.com/2.../#.VX8cf5t16bE

Carolyn
Old June 15, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Black Prince was one of only 5, that's right FIVE, so called black ones in the SSE YEarbooks in the early 90's and if one wanted to count now it wouldn't surprise me if there close to 1,000 varieties now.

Black Death to me suggests the plague and what was done in medieval times was for folks to flee that area if they couldn't kill all the rats, or were trying to protect themselves from the respiratory transmission, was to carrry a small nosegay of flowers under their nose.

And now a link for those who once sang that ditty of Ring around the Rosy as I did when I was a kid and had no idea what it really meant.

Carolyn
What I mean by the black death is one of the plants started to just wilt from the bottom to the top.
No yellowing of the leaves or anything just wilt and die.
It must be the non respiratory strain from the time ofJustinian541 AD as none of the other plants are doing it.

I didn't know what that song meant either until I went to London.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What I mean by the black death is one of the plants started to just wilt from the bottom to the top.
No yellowing of the leaves or anything just wilt and die.
It must be the non respiratory strain from the time ofJustinian541 AD as none of the other plants are doing it.

I didn't know what that song meant either until I went to London.

Worth
I knew what YOU meant by Black Death so I was just say'in what I think of when I see the words Black Death. But then since I taught med students infectious diseases/immune response at two med schools it would be natural for me to be thinking plague.

Carolyn
Old June 15, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Carolyn

Carolyn, so what were the original five?
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #6
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn... Please, I'd be interested in learning who the other ones listed were too.

Worth... To bad about your plant. Sure hope it is the only one. My Black Krim went the same way. Don't remember what they did back in those days of the Black Plague, but mine got yanked maters and all and went by way of the burn pile.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Carolyn, so what were the original five?
To the left of my computer on the floor are all of my SSE YEarbooks going way back, and sadly, in no particule order although the most recent ones are near the top of each of the stacks.

All to say that it won't be soon that I'll have to deconstruct those stacks to find the earlier ones from the late 80's early 90's, so please don't sit near your computer waiting for an answer.

Fact is, later in the summer you might want to PM me to remind me about looking since being in this walker I can't do it by myself and would need one of my helper persons to do that, and I don't mean my old cat either, since she has no interest in tomatoes at all.

Carolyn
Old June 16, 2015   #8
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
To the left of my computer on the floor are all of my SSE YEarbooks going way back, and sadly, in no particule order although the most recent ones are near the top of each of the stacks.

All to say that it won't be soon that I'll have to deconstruct those stacks to find the earlier ones from the late 80's early 90's, so please don't sit near your computer waiting for an answer.

Fact is, later in the summer you might want to PM me to remind me about looking since being in this walker I can't do it by myself and would need one of my helper persons to do that, and I don't mean my old cat either, since she has no interest in tomatoes at all.

Carolyn
Thanks for the response Carolyn. I bet you have a lot of interesting books and catalogs to look at and read!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote