Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 1, 2016   #1
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you guys stake peppers?

Last year I used staked all of my peppers. A few seemed to benefit for it but most it seemed to not matter. I have also heard of people using cages. What do you guys do?

-Zach
Old June 1, 2016   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I use cages.
Old June 1, 2016   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I use a stake, 2 or 3' green one with metal interior. I tie the plant to them with twine. I only do it as insurance from thunderstorm winds. I've had pepper plants toppled over by storms. I put the stake on the east side of the stem since the vast majority of thunderstorm winds here will have a westerly component.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Partly depends on the pepper. Padron and Manzano seem to generally need it due to less-robust stems, while tall spindly ones like Starfish are just sails. Others may need staking "on a tactical level" as fruit loads can break branches. But generally, I don't stake.

There are two factors that strongly affect this question. 1) Is the plant acclimatized to the wind when you set it out? Raised in wind the plant will develop a thick strong stem. Raise it indoors in calm, then set it out in wind and you might get a nice flat plant.

2) What is the planting density? Peppers ultimately want a wide spacing for maximum production in later life. 24" is considered the minimum. But plants that are in contact do support each other quite effectively. Consider giving up some individual production for increased stability. (Open question: Is overall production affected since you can fit more plants in the same area?)

OTOH, it certainly doesn't hurt a plant to stake or cage it. I'd play it by ear.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Stakes. My 2 and 3 year peppers get 4 feet high and 4 feet wide. Those heavy peppers will break plants for the Golden Marconis.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

If i add a stake will it encourage growth?
Can't grow peppers but still try. They hate me and my chilly mornings. Even if the early morn sweater comes off and 80 by 8am...I get dwarf plants with just a few peppers.

I would stake them while young in a warmer climate. Just a single stake for insurance.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #7
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Partly depends on the pepper. Padron and Manzano seem to generally need it due to less-robust stems, while tall spindly ones like Starfish are just sails. Others may need staking "on a tactical level" as fruit loads can break branches. But generally, I don't stake.

2) What is the planting density? Peppers ultimately want a wide spacing for maximum production in later life. 24" is considered the minimum. But plants that are in contact do support each other quite effectively. Consider giving up some individual production for increased stability. (Open question: Is overall production affected since you can fit more plants in the same area?)
I use cages for peppers which tend to lodge or break branches as the peppers grow in weight - such as the taller hot peppers. The cheap hooped tomato cages are good for this purpose.

For the most part, though, I use close spacing in large blocks. The plants (mostly) support each other, although some of the heavier peppers may lodge anyway. Annuum peppers seem to prosper with close spacing, which helps to preserve soil moisture & keep weeds manageable. I get some really good yields per plant at about 15" spacing each way.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That's a good point. The big super-hots (all C.chinense) seem to want to spread their wings and suck down as much sunlight as they can get for production. Other varieties not so much.

oakley, no. A stake does not promote growth. If I were to guess without more info, I'd say that you set your peppers out too soon. Cold temps, even though it isn't cold enough to kill the plant, will cause stunting.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Can't grow peppers but still try. They hate me and my chilly mornings. Even if the early morn sweater comes off and 80 by 8am...I get dwarf plants with just a few peppers
Try putting two pepper plants of the same variety you are growing in the ground in a 5 gallon bucket with two 0.5" diameter holes 1.5" up from the bottom of the bucket, fill the bucket with quality growing mix, feed every 2 weeks with a balanced fertilizer, organic or not, your choice. See if the bucket peppers do a lot better than your in ground peppers. If they do then I'm guessing there is a nutrient or soil problem (disease, drainage or temperature) with where you are growing them. If they still do poorly, perhaps the area doesn't get enough sun or you live in a very cool location? But I can't think anywhere in the lower 48 where that would be an issue aside from high elevations or maybe in a region of persistent cool coastal fog.

The comment about putting them out too early is a good suggestion too--when do your lows routinely stay above 45-50F?

Last edited by jmsieglaff; June 1, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I used 3/8 rebar for some that are growing more like a corn plant grows.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #11
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I stake and use the cheap tomato cages with all peppers.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No need to with this thing around.
Worth
IMG_20160601_24552.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You need a stake shooting gun
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #14
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I use cheap 4' bamboo stakes on all my pepper plants. Some varieties are stocky and don't need it, but others definitely do. I also end up supporting many individual branches with stakes when loaded with peppers.

I did look at buying the round steel cages, but they start at $2 for the 33" tall one, and with 10" in the soil they aren't tall enough or my varieties. I feel that 25 bamboo stakes for $4.50 is a better value, and I usually get 2-3 years use out of them. Broken ones can then be used for tomato seedling support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No need to with this thing around.
Now that I would eat!
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #15
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

I plant my peppers in rows, 24" between plants, and each plant is supported by a cheap wire tomato cage. I drive T-posts at the ends of the rows and tie all the cages together with nylon mason's twine for additional support.

Without support, many of the pepper varieties I grow would break themselves down with the weight of the peppers they bear, and thunderstorm winds around here would break off the rest.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote