Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 29, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default For anyone who has ever wondered what an ounce of mater seed looks like

Going to post a couple of pics as I recently ordered an 1 oz of Ponderosa Red seeds got them on Ebay and one the bid and just could not pass it up, think shipping and all was $3 something bucks. you really can not tell in the pics but the baggie thaey are in is 3/4 or so of an inch thick in places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00079.jpg (175.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00080.jpg (217.7 KB, 79 views)
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
Going to post a couple of pics as I recently ordered an 1 oz of Ponderosa Red seeds got them on Ebay and one the bid and just could not pass it up, think shipping and all was $3 something bucks. you really can not tell in the pics but the baggie thaey are in is 3/4 or so of an inch thick in places.

I've never wondered about how an oz of tomasto seed would look like b'c through the years I've had several commercial tomato growing farmer friends and they buy in the 1/2 to one oz range each year.

But I have to wonder.

There's about 8 K to 12 K seeds in one oz of tomato seed depending on the seed size, so what are your plans for using that seed so that it doesn't get that old that it would be very difficult to germinate unless you have a minus 80 or minus 20 freezer at hand?
Old September 29, 2010   #3
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Wonder how can you tell whether or not the seeds you received are recent or are they possibly very old seeds greater than 10 year old? Well a germination test seems to be in order to at least verify the viability of the seeds.

Possibly a dense broadcast in a cup Anyway congrats on winning the bid. Let us know how the test goes!!!

George`
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Wonder how can you tell whether or not the seeds you received are recent or are they possibly very old seeds greater than 10 year old? Well a germination test seems to be in order to at least verify the viability of the seeds.

Possibly a dense broadcast in a cup Anyway congrats on winning the bid. Let us know how the test goes!!!

George`
The seeds are labeled and are from Winchester Garden Supply. They also are fully labeled:

Germination Tested 5/2010 - 85%
Purity 99% / inert 1%
Lot # 94235
Packaged for 2010 season
Old September 29, 2010   #5
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've never wondered about how an oz of tomasto seed would look like b'c through the years I've had several commercial tomato growing farmer friends and they buy in the 1/2 to one oz range each year.

But I have to wonder.

There's about 8 K to 12 K seeds in one oz of tomato seed depending on the seed size, so what are your plans for using that seed so that it doesn't get that old that it would be very difficult to germinate unless you have a minus 80 or minus 20 freezer at hand?
I personally had never seen a 1 Oz packet of tomato seed and it was more than I expected. While I know some of the people on the site might have seen them before I figured others like myself who have always purchased the small packages might find it interesting.

I do have a commercial freezer that can reach -23F (As a side note I love that freezer when you open it everything in it makes a crackling noise from the difference in the outside and inside air, and when you close it, you can hear a pressurization sound and watch as the door seal sucks in like in a scify space movie hard to explain but awesome all the same)

As far as plans for the seed I am hoping to set up a bakers rack (Big metal shelf with 4-5 selves) this winter and have each shelf lighted. So should be able to start them from seed, Originally was planing to sell some plants at the flea market but leaning towards talking to some of the local churches that sell pumpkins and see if they might be interested in selling the tomato seedlings in the spring. Some of the churches around the area do really great charity work so as long as I can work it out so that I either break even on cost or make a slight profit then that might be a good use of the seeds as the majority of the profits would go to the church.

I would be using Craig's Dense Seed Planting Technique.

Other wise I will share seed with people or offer them up in the free Craigslist section this spring. I also have a relative that does a produce stand on his farm so could give him the majority as well. I hate waste so will figure something out with them.

Last edited by Stepheninky; September 29, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old September 29, 2010   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Germination Tested 5/2010 - 85%
Purity 99% / inert 1%
Lot # 94235
Packaged for 2010 season

I'm not sure how to interpret the above, and yes, I do understand the germination percentage.

Does purity mean that 99/100 plants put out are true to the variety? I would think so, but....since germnation is at 85%, well......

But what the heck is "inert" 1 %? Does that mean that of 100 seeds sown one was inert so it didn't germinate? I don't think so b'c of the stated 85%.

So what is inert?

Just curious.
Old September 29, 2010   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Contents 99% tomato seeds and 1% inert (or most likely unidentified) stuff like dust or rodent droppings I surmise.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #8
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Contents 99% tomato seeds and 1% inert (or most likely unidentified) stuff like dust or rodent droppings I surmise.
Yep thats what I am assuming too, since the seeds are probably processed by mechanical means I would assume inert is just to cover anything that might not be tomato seed. I have seen can foods labeled as such before and have been to a factory that processed turnip greens and yep the occasional bug or snake gets chopped up with them.
Old September 29, 2010   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Simple suggestion. Offer them to posters on the board for $? plus sase.

Another suggestion, see if any bulk plant growers want some. I might be interested in 1/4 of an ounce. I can sell 300 to 400 Ponderosa plants per year. That would use up 1/4 of an ounce in 3 or 4 years.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Well I will take my time and figure something out, one option would of course be to make a portion of them a free seed SASE + what ever you want them sent back to you in offer to the board. I was looking for Ponderosa seed for my dad and it was too good of a bargain IMHO to pass up.

Need to try and figure out my cost if I do the seedling thing and as I had said in my Flea market post I have only ever seen a few plants for sale locally out side of the Box stores and nurseries so not much if any competition here. Another ideal along that of the church ideal would be to talk one of the local sororities into selling them as a fund raiser LOL.
Old September 29, 2010   #11
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Or you could put a few spoonfuls in the chicken feed...just do not be surprised to see dozens of volunteers in the chicken run next spring.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #12
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It is better to feed chopped hot pepper to your chickens. The high vitamin levels are good for the birds plus the capsaicin irritates their digestive tract which makes them think they are still hungry so they both eat and drink more which makes them lay more eggs. Don't believe it? Give it a try, but be prepared, you need a small hand full of pepper for each chicken to get the effect.

I can see it now. A chicken letting a big fiery splat go and flapping its wings and squawking!

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #13
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Most birds love chile peppers. In birds, it actually slows down their digestive systems...nature wanted them to fly away from the plant before they 'reseeded'
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #14
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

1% inert...I think that's what they're calling dried maggts these days.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2010   #15
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
Most birds love chile peppers. In birds, it actually slows down their digestive systems...nature wanted them to fly away from the plant before they 'reseeded'
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...ed=0CCwQsAQwAw
travis is offline   Reply With Quote