Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 26, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Orlov Yellow

Here are some pictures of two Orlov Yellows I grew this year and seeds were from Tania. First the plant was PL and grown in a 7 gal container. Fruit set was poor due to late set out, hail damage and high temps during the blossom stage. I'm getting 6 fruit off the plant which is understandable due to the previously described growing conditions.
The first 4 pictures was the first fruit to ripen and weighed around 350 grams. The pictures were taken indoors under a fluorescent light probably in the cool white temperature range.
The last 2 pictures are of a fruit I picked yesterday that is not quite ripe yet. It weighed in at 456 grams (1 US pound). I took these photo's on my radiator in front of the window in natural light this AM.
Taste was very good but then again when you are using KBX as the standard so are the rest of the yellows when compared to KBX in my opinion. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2508.JPG (65.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2509.JPG (73.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2510.JPG (154.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2511.JPG (140.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2528.JPG (58.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2529.JPG (62.3 KB, 13 views)
Old September 26, 2010   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Very pretty.

Does KBX refer to Kellogs Breakfast? Or is that the actual variety name? And you don't think KBX has a good flavor?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2010   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

tam91, On the contrary KBX (Kellogs Breakfast PL) is one of the best tasting Yellow/Orange tomatoes out there. Kellogs Breakfast is the RL (Regular Leaf) version. Ami
Old September 26, 2010   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Grew KBX and Orlov's side by side and have to say KBX kicks Orlov's butt six ways to Sunday, especially as regards setting fruit in the heat and more importantly flavor.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2010   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Ah thank you Ami, I thought I was probably misunderstanding. Hmm... so there are two varieties - I'll have to add the potato leaf one to my desired list.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2010   #6
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Your pics are going to force me to charge the garden and pick something, ripe or not